N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I think so. On other platforms you get banned if you mention suicide. Even for very mild things like "I want to have assisted suicide". In many forums the rules say this is prohobited. Moreover the reaction of the members are horrible on this topic. They treat you like an insane one and leave hurtful comments.

I think the smearing of the media brings along a special allure to this forum. Guests and lurkers want to watch these evil weirdos and their alleged death cult. Always when a topic is suppressed and censored people find it interesting. Most humans have the instinct to gawk at other (suffering) people. No wonder there are many interested people watching when someone wants to jump of a high public building. It is kind of a spectacle. As in the middle age when criminals were publicly tortured. This was a huge event and I think even minors watched them.

If the topic was not that stigmatized people would not be that attracted to this website. If you could talk openly about it in self-help groups or for example on facebook and would not have to fear negative consequences this forum would lose a part of its attraction.
Though this probably won't happen in the near future. The regulation of the internet seems to become way worse instead of better. Even in niche forums the censorship increases. Only because the elites and society find that topic too sad and negative. They can't accept this is part of the human nature. Some people suffer to an extreme amount of pain. These adults should have the right to choose the end of this suffering. No one of us ever signed a contract to live on no matter what.

Reactions: houseofleaves, ColorlessTrees and markimobzzdeasui
GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Suicide? Nah, it's all about the counting game around here :halo:

• Yay!
Reactions: houseofleaves, ColorlessTrees, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 3 others
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Reactions: houseofleaves, WrongPlaceWrongTime and GentleJerk
Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
The creation of the forum was thanks to a reddit banning sweep of the similar community. Anywhere else, and you just get a bot telling hotlines for every country in the world and otherwise. You are allowed to discuss suicidality, and even insist on your freedom to do so. There are, however cases of it just being the cops called and otherwise. You're also not allowed to discuss methods. I think most of the appeal for the people originally joining is not a community directly but a full page of methods to revisit and otherwise.

• Love
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Toxic Positivity
markimobzzdeasui

markimobzzdeasui

Life is a cruel joke
Oct 24, 2021
I agree with what you mentioned. But I also think it is not just about suicide being considered a stigma or taboo topic. It has many implications including human sufferings, inherent right, empathy and also the way the world works in general. That is why I believe it is very hard for others to even accept suicide cause it seems so much ingrained into their entire belief system. Today's capitalist,narcissistic and toxic positive world has made it worse. How can one feel accomplished and successful in today's world if they cannot put down others literally or mentally. That's the reason I don't think suicide is going to be accepted any time soon nor the existence of this forum.

Reactions: Toxic Positivity
R

ReallyTired

Oct 21, 2021
I think many suicidal people on SS reached rock bottom. Many years of pain and suffering. They don't care anymore because it can't get any worse. They don't want to get "better" or live in a fantasy world of recovery.
SS in the only place they can share their thoughts and feelings with other like minded individual- raw with no filter. Some might be even looking for support as they go through their final moments.

The useless spam of suicide hotline numbers you can find on other forums is hardly helpful.

• Love
Reactions: houseofleaves, Crazy4u and LateToParty
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
This is the downside of it. People can say what they want, that's not always a good thing. My poor ears need censoring from it