R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
I have chronic physical illness and I have provided all my documentation to dignitas. After 2 months of going back and forth asking about various documents now they are asking me about a psychiatrist letter. But if I provide them a simple statement from the psychiatrist stating that I am able to take decisions about my life. They rejecthe psychiatrist letter. When I ask what they need they sent 5 paragraphs of making autonomous decisions which the psychiatrist understands but is not able to make sense of what to the exactly need.
Is there anyone who has had success with dignity as or for that matter any other agency and what kind of psychiatrist letter the need? Please help me with exact sentences that I can give to the psychiatrist. With my bedridden condition and with covid-19 it is a Nightmare going to the psychiatrist and begging him to give a letter again and again
Please excuse my typos. I cannot use my arms and use special software to navigate internet. Thank you

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Silvermorning, IrRegularjoe, Brink and 2 others
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
With my bedridden condition and with covid-19 it is a Nightmare going to the psychiatrist and begging him to give a letter again and again
I very quickly found Dignitas unmanageable. From the very first email. It was scolding, demanding, and seemed like I had to jump through endless hoops for documentation and letters from doctors and psychiatrists. I too am bedridden and unable to get to doctors.

There are a couple of other operations in Switzerland like Dignitas which are supposed to be easier to deal with. Dignitas, I have no idea how anyone ever manages to get them to help. The communications are a nightmare with them, impossible. I think they just take most people's money and then stop and block everything in this way.

I'm sorry I don't remember the names of the other two organizations that do this. PPH mentioned them I think. They said the latest one on the scene to open has made it easier to deal with them.

The people at Dignitas I communicated (or at least tried to communicate with) are a bunch of sadistic money hungry creeps as far as I could tell. Just like their demands for you to go back repeatedly to a psychiatrist to get more and more letters, and it's never clear exactly what it is they want him to say, shows just how disorganized, and impossible it is to work with them.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie, oneess, TAW122 and 3 others
R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Other operations are Pegasus and life circle. We should try together almost like customers forming a block. If you apply the please let me know. I got o know about these last week

Reactions: Meditation guide
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
I very quickly found Dignitas unmanageable. From the very first email. It was scolding, demanding, and seemed like I had to jump through endless hoops for documentation and letters from doctors and psychiatrists. I too am bedridden and unable to get to doctors.

There are a couple of other operations in Switzerland like Dignitas which are supposed to be easier to deal with. Dignitas, I have no idea how anyone ever manages to get them to help. The communications are a nightmare with them, impossible. I think they just take most people's money and then stop and block everything in this way.

I'm sorry I don't remember the names of the other two organizations that do this. PPH mentioned them I think. They said the latest one on the scene to open has made it easier to deal with them.

The people at Dignitas I communicated (or at least tried to communicate with) are a bunch of sadistic money hungry creeps as far as I could tell. Just like their demands for you to go back repeatedly to a psychiatrist to get more and more letters, and it's never clear exactly what it is they want him to say, shows just how disorganized, and impossible it is to work with them.
Couldn't agree more. They are condescending and ask for an in depth psychiatric appraisal never detailing what that is. Something they know psychiatrists in countries without euthanasia never do.

Edit- I'd also like to know what these psychiatrists appraisals look like. Not trying to derail thread.

Edit- I'm surprised that you got a letter from a psychiatrist and they still didn't accept it. I don't know why they talk about autonomy and then want someone to write and access on your behalf. I think pegasos would be easier to deal with if you have a physical disability.

Last edited:
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Dignitas knows what kind of conditions we are in, how difficult this is and I think they take real pleasure in holding it just out of our reach. They do insist on a lot of money however without any guarantee you will actually be able to use them.

I think they want the shrink to say you are not depressed. There can't be any sort of depressed mood. Sort of weird to think we wouldn't be at least a little bit depressed over our horrible situation but they have been somewhat harassed as I understand it lately about possibly helping people with mental conditions.

Last edited:
Reactions: Incorrigible77777
alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
I've spoken with Dignitas on multiple occasions. I don't believe they're restricting people of their services without justification. They've been targeted by multiple pro-life groups and I believe it has resulted in Dignitas charging the amount they do for their services. I'm assuming a good portion of what it costs to receive assistance in dying goes to their legal representatives.

The letter from the psychiatrist assessment should be addressed to Dignitas. It should express you're not suffering any cognitive impairment that would prevent you from being able to manage your affairs and in regard to making a decision regarding your care.

I believe Dignitas has helped even people with chronic depression as their only illness. I'm unsure if that's still the case.

Reactions: Wrennie, whitefeather and Matthias_k
R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Thank you. don't think cognitive impairment was mentioned in one of the responses and I can mention that but what was written is that he is sound mental capacity and that he can manage his own affairs and it was detected. most doctors are very reluctant to meet due to covid-19 and on top of that I am asking them for a legal document class at the same time I am asking then multiple times so it is very difficult

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
In some places in the US if you tell any doctor or psychiatrist about wanting to do this they would be mandated to put you in a psychiatric ward.

R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Suicide does not need to be mentioned according to dignitas but I wonder if they call and verify either explicitly or secretively. If secretively They can always screw up. And
Put me in more problem

alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
Thank you. don't think cognitive impairment was mentioned in one of the responses and I can mention that but what was written is that he is sound mental capacity and that he can manage his own affairs and it was detected. most doctors are very reluctant to meet due to covid-19 and on top of that I am asking them for a legal document class at the same time I am asking then multiple times so it is very difficult
I advise you phone call Dignitas as well. Before seeing the psychiatrist again.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Aside from the requirements, I could tell whoever wrote to me from Dignitas struggled with English and wasn't able to write in clear understandable English, but the scolding negative tone still was very clear.

I remember one sentence of the message, written for no particular reason was "Our doctors will not help you!" But there was a bill attached for several thousand dollars payable in advance before they would even consider me.
Put me in more problem
Do you think you might try one of the other services that do this? As an alternate option?

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: Silvermorning
R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
Ok no one sent me a bill so far. But they are upfront about cost
I advise you phone call Dignitas as well. Before seeing the psychiatrist again.
Phone ca!Led. I a? Not native English speaker nor they are. They said go back to psychiatrist essentially.

Last edited:
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I'm sorry that Dignitas has been difficult for you. While I never used them and won't be able to (I don't fit the criteria for them to even consider me - too young (under 50) and physically functional), I could see it being a very difficult process, especially for foreigners outside of the EU, the cost of travel, and what not. Also, during this time, the pandemic is preventing international travel from the US to other countries.

@Meditation guide is right about there being other organizations, I think Pegasos and Lifecircle are the other two.

R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
I'm sorry that Dignitas has been difficult for you. While I never used them and won't be able to (I don't fit the criteria for them to even consider me - too young (under 50) and physically functional), I could see it being a very difficult process, especially for foreigners outside of the EU, the cost of travel, and what not. Also, during this time, the pandemic is preventing international travel from the US to other countries.

@Meditation guide is right about there being other organizations, I think Pegasos and Lifecircle are the other two.
Thank you all. So apart from one line there is no other suggestion about psychiatric statement. 8f possible please suggest. Thanks again

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Suicide does not need to be mentioned according to dignitas
What do you tell a psychiatrist you need it for?
I got o know about these last week

This is what I read about another service:

• Pegasos speaks English
  • Pegasos cuts red tape
  • Pegasos minimises waiting times
My problem is I do not have medical records. I went to a doctor who I found didn't take any notes!
Also you have to have an easy way to get around to doctors which I do not.

Last edited:
R

rvsw

Student
Jul 17, 2020
What do you tell a psychiatrist you need it for?

This is what I read about another service:

• Pegasos speaks English
  • Pegasos cuts red tape
  • Pegasos minimises waiting times
My problem is I do not have medical records. I went to a doctor who I found didn't take any notes!
Also you have to have an easy way to get around to doctors which I do not.

I just told psychiatrist I need to for government purpose
No easy way for me to go to doctors. I am horizontal and docs want me to sit in waiting room.
Have started application with Pegasus today.
Med records will e needed

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Jun 22, 2020
Med records will e needed
I only have a list of my diseases but no details about them. I guess that way is out for me too.

M

MrSoave

Oct 21, 2020
I have been dealing with Dignitas for a while now and I like to make clear that the documents they require are not cause of their own rules
but they are requirments from the Swiss government to permit the assisted suicide to proceed. Most documents they receive they pass them
on to the authorities for their approval. I agree that the pychiatrist letter is by far the most difficult part.