FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
I feel like my depression has ruined my focus and attention span, prior to it even though I was still overstimulating myself and regularly using social media I found it a lot easier to watch long form content and was an avid anime watcher but a few days ago I tried getting back into anime after I learned that mental focus is tied to visual focus so as long as I focus my eyes my brain will naturally follow but despite trying that I still couldn't focus and just gave up after a few minutes into the episode i was watching. It's a mix of brain fog and just being too tired and numb to care or get excited enough to focus anymore and I just can't because I'm so overwhelmed and also focusing on one thing at a time makes it a lot easier for my mind to wander back to things I'd rather forget so that's probably a factor as well.

Reactions: the_path_of_sorrows, Hunter2005, Dliena and 4 others
marina

marina

overplayed
Jan 23, 2023
dunno if I'm weird or anything, but when I watch things I kinda just zone out, my eyes cannot naturally follow anything sometimes. It depends on the mindset I have, often nothing I'm doing demands my attention enough to. Probably could not focus on an anime if somebody payed me to. Its almost easier for me to pay attention to whatever I'm watching if I'm also on my phone sometimes. My eyes aren't able to focus long enough to pay attention to an entire movie. I bother my friends at movies or smoke outside. Sometimes turning the volume up helps, I guess? It's ok to not be as into anime now that you're older. Thinking constantly about "focus" and "brain fog" makes it much harder to live with, similar to tinnitus or VSS. Sleep, exercise, water, healthy dieting, meditating, vitamins, medication, therapy etc.

Reactions: Dliena
Dliena

Dliena

๐š‚๐š‚ ๐™ผ๐šŽ๐š–๐š‹๐šŽ๐š› ๐™ฝ๐š˜. 43,53?
Dec 22, 2023
Yep totally. It feels frustrating af cause there are times that I want to feel invested in the story but can't. Something will always distract me.

Last edited:
Reactions: FutureHanger
A

amb.boardman

Oct 17, 2023
I know how you feel, I just have lost motivation and focus. Why do anything if you want to die, whats the point. How is it going to help?

Reactions: thecreepycanadian and FutureHanger
T

thecreepycanadian

Oct 24, 2023
Yes. I also try to focus, as I know I need to "snap out" of this state I'm in, but I just can't. My brain is just too muddled, and I have no interest at all, in anything.

ThymeToLeave

ThymeToLeave

Adventurer
Dec 12, 2023
Nothing is worth focusing on when you've given up.

L

LifeCanBeCruel

Jan 2, 2023
Yup, and the resulting boredom is driving me crazy.

Reactions: Dliena and FutureHanger