Squiddy

Squiddy

Here Lies My Hopes And Dreams
Sep 4, 2019
So I was looking through therapists and I found that one near me is making people sign a contract that says they will not attempt suicide. I find that kind of funny because they could always lie and just do it. Speaking of which, my nurse practitioner made me say out loud I wouldn't ctb or hurt myself, but I just feel it's unrealistic and I ended up self harming again a couple months later. Besides that, my nurse practitioner has been good.

• Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: BeautifulMosaics, Huntfish34, come to dust and 11 others
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
Your question is so interesting!
My ex gf knew I was suicidal and we both made a suicidal contract in which basically, everything we bought belonged to her lol.

She was really great because she knew I could ctb anytime soon but she still loved me. Damn, I guess I'm kinda sad now lol.

• Hugs
Reactions: freedomcalls, Huntfish34, Lostandlooking and 3 others
B

booray

Can’t do this anymore
Jan 28, 2021
Your question is so interesting!
My ex gf knew I was suicidal and we both made a suicidal contract in which basically, everything we bought belonged to her lol.
So did she take everything with her when you two broke up?

• Love
Reactions: WornOutLife
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
So did she take everything with her when you two broke up?

hahaha i love your question.
She did! She took lots of stuff. Actually, she was very annoying and I really hated that "side" of her. She even took away some lovely stuffed toys we had!!! lol

• Hmph!
  • Aww..
Reactions: freedomcalls, LaminarFlow, strangeceleste and 4 others
nolongerhuman

nolongerhuman

Arcanist
Feb 9, 2021
I've been made to promise not to off myself so that therapists didn't feel legally obligated to cart me off somewhere many times, but I've never been made to sign a physical piece of paper; I guess they thought a verbal agreement was good enough.

Reactions: freedomcalls and Lostandlooking
LiesAndLigatures

LiesAndLigatures

Please kill me. Please? PLEASE!
Nov 8, 2020
I have had to sign "safety contracts" many times. It is just so that they feel less liable if you kill yourself.

Reactions: freedomcalls, Lostandlooking and Lost in a Dream

◄✵火✵〇°Ø•WÅR•Ī°〇✵火✵►

Student
Feb 22, 2021
It's to avoid liability, I think. It might be so they will be immune if your relatives decide to sue because you "broke" the contract. I would avoid signing such a paper. And I would avoid such therapists.* Simply because someone who genuinely wants to help won't make covering their tracks their priority. They wouldn't tie a being down to a contract that forbids said being from having and taking an option that they have seriously considered and find desirable. It's like you want to travel to space but your therapist forbids you from using rocketships like ????? It's manipulative and controlling. They use naivety, blind trust and their authority to their advantage. And the fact that such people are allowed to carry the label of "healer" and roam around in this world spreading their "medicine" and "knowledge", is truly concerning. But, it is what it is. One just has to keep one's eyes open all the time and avoid all possible obstacles towards one's goal, until one is out of the world or life on earth or life itself or until the goal has been reached.

*Actually, I would avoid all therapists, but that's just me and I'm speaking from experience. They're just money vaccums, in my opinion. And the money has gotten to their heads so much that they unconsciously slack off because it's a habit they developped. They think that them just being there sitting in front of you can solve all your concerns and issues. This could work for someone who just needs to vent but even then, there's the internet for that nowadays, so paying huge amounts to speak to a mindless robot that runs on auto-pilot isn't exactly worth it or beneficial, in my opinion. It actually adds more stress because you have to worry about additional fees on top of the fees you already had to worry about before. Plus there's the whole scheduling and time limit ordeal. But if money and time's not a problem, then I guess you can go ahead if you want to. But even if money and time isn't a problem, I can guarantee they won't take your wants and needs into consideration. They cannot fulfill them. If they can, you will most likely have to pay the price. But most likely, they will push you subtly or not, to take the course they want you to take. Do your research before deciding on a path and option. Do some deep introspection and figure out what you truly want and only then you should take action, in my opinion. Assert yourself against all that are against what you truly desire (sometimes even against some parts that you have come to consider as "your self") or avoid them and stick to what you truly desire. Otherwise, you might run into some uncomfortable confusing situations. You must know what your ultimate goal is, for your path to be more clear and focused and for you to be more stable and anchored. Also, the internet is a gold-mine for resources, infinitely better than any other materials, in my opinion. So don't be afraid to ask the internet any questions you have. And do some digging. Gather all kinds of opinions and points of views. Gather all kinds of informations. Follow and dive deep into what interests you. Be sincere to yourself and listen to yourself. If you feel like searching elsewhere for answers, do that. This will help you find your own voice, it will become louder and clearer. I am just sharing for those who might be confused about which path to take. You're welcome. :happy:

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: everydayiloveyou, Huntfish34, come to dust and 1 other person
LunarPyotr

LunarPyotr

Похорони меня возле МКАДа
Jul 4, 2020
This might sound rude but I chuckled while reading your post.

This is kinda like saying to me that I'm not allowed to drive a truck or I'll land in jail.. Guess what Mr. Genius, I did that anyway and I was 13 when I did that XD

What are they expecting?
Do they think that if you sign a stupid peace of paper, you'll automatically not hurt or kill yourself ?
This is just unrealistic

Reactions: Squiddy and TriggerHappy
P

Prosthetics

Matefeedkillrepeat
Jan 11, 2021
Just lie and do it anyways

Reactions: TriggerHappy
TriggerHappy

TriggerHappy

In the kingdom of th blind; the one-eyed are kings
Jan 24, 2021
are you serious? for fucking real?
were born into this world with blessings and curses that are of our design;
then we are taught to be accountable and take responsibility
(for our successes and failures) only ours (blame no-one)
our desperate experience made even more desperate by our resignation of strength (a contract? bound by what? despair or self-deceit or desperation or maybe the devil? the devil is not evil; but the darkness within us?) or sell our promise to not harm (ourselves)
what when we destroy everything around us?
do we lose our light; our true reason; our divine purpose.
truth; passion and love are the highest of reasons / devotion to saints and to God is true salvation, seek it.
we cannot hold to life with a promise or murmur because we are alone or unloved; that is why we live, no?
we cannot limit or minimise or trivialise that by a contract.
if it strengthens your resolve - sign it.
if it's for love - sign it
if it's to stop you killing yourself - tear it up. what if it's your destiny; your soul's purpose.
{ **}
think on this without fear or favour.
.but with faith.

{**
climb the tree & tie the noose / load the gun & pull the trigger / dissolve the poison & lift the glass
then take a joyful powerful leap into the next life...
}

Last edited:
Reactions: Zzzzz
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
When I read the title I thought it was about a contract in which you promise to kill yourself. That would have been something.

• Love
Reactions: Ame and TriggerHappy
H

HopelessFight

Warlock
Jan 31, 2021
So you have to sign a contract stating you will not attempt to commit suicide? What are they gonna do when you break the contract? Summon you to court?

• Yay!
Reactions: freedomcalls, xkonstantinexx, sorella santini and 1 other person
Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
I've been made to promise not to off myself so that therapists didn't feel legally obligated to cart me off somewhere many times, but I've never been made to sign a physical piece of paper; I guess they thought a verbal agreement was good enough.
I would never sign such contract lol

Deathbydemo

Deathbydemo

Mage
Feb 15, 2020
This is amusing, for a few different reasons. That such a "contract" exists is insulting, honestly lol

Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
They could not enforce it if there was a violation.

• Yay!
Reactions: strangeceleste
Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
So I was looking through therapists and I found that one near me is making people sign a contract that says they will not attempt suicide. I find that kind of funny because they could always lie and just do it. Speaking of which, my nurse practitioner made me say out loud I wouldn't ctb or hurt myself, but I just feel it's unrealistic and I ended up self harming again a couple months later. Besides that, my nurse practitioner has been good.
3 basic questions:
  1. How is the contract enforced?
  2. What happens in the event of a breach of contract?
  3. What is the consideration exchanged in lieu of entering into the contract?

Reactions: Squiddy
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
No therapist would begin to suggest that such a contract has any legal validity or purpose. However from a therapist and client perspective their may be some value depending on the legal requirements and organisational requirements under which the individual therapist works.

Firstly, having a client sign a such a contract may open a dialogue regarding suicide that doesnt revolve around the therapists need for 'safety' for themselves.
When a client attempts or commits suicide there is an investigation, at a minimum of organisational level, to ascertain that the therapist has acted in accordance with legal requirements and organisational requirements regarding suicidality. Suicide is a stressful event for a therapist and the impact can be tremendous and far reaching. Such contracts offer the powers that be a paper trail of evidence that the therapist has not been intentionally negligent or 'unaware' of the potential of suicidality.
It may also provide an 'out' for the therapist in terms of obligation to proceed to involving 'other' services or legal intervention with the client.
Both of the above are positive factors in the therapeutic relationship from my perspective because it means that both parties can then speak openly about the issue of suicidal ideation rather than with 'fear' of the implications of a client admitting suicidal ideation.
Hopefully this is a good thing.
For a small portion of the population 'contracting' also acts as a visual reminder that their are steps that can be taken if they become ideated and ideally there would be a thorough safety plan included with any contract.

Working with those who experience chronic ideation or actively self harm is not an easy job and does have an impact on the therapist. Good supervision is helpful in supporting a therapist through self directed guilt and self blame and grief but therapists are only human.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
sorella santini

sorella santini

Jan 19, 2021
Yes, its and attempt to absolve them from any liability in the event you do kill yourself and family tries to litigate.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
3 basic questions:
  1. How is the contract enforced?
  2. What happens in the event of a breach of contract?
  3. What is the consideration exchanged in lieu of entering into the contract?
1. I'm not sure. You can't really enforce it
2. Maybe they'd terminate services if you attempted
3. Not sure. Maybe they'd think that the client would think about the contract before attempting

Reactions: Greenberg
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I think a long time ago I had a therapist show me something like that once but she never actually got me to sign it because I just started pretending I wasn't suicidal anymore but even if I had signed it I don't think it could be enforced in any meaningful way.

I did make a literal pinky promise with my friend that I wouldn't CTB until I'm at least 30 but considering she's not in my life anymore I assume that renders the sacred pinky promise null and void.

• Yay!
Reactions: Greenberg and Lostandlooking
TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Disillusioned
May 26, 2019
I had to with a therapist decades ago. But the very concept is a paradox: In the view of modern medicine, my earlier attempt at suicide defines me as mentally ill, or at least incapable of making a rational decision. I would have thought that, in of itself, nullifies a contract. Especially when the person providing the contact is aware of the diagnosis.

IOW, if you think I'm not mentally competent to decide to kill myself, why do you think I'm mentally competent enough to sign a contract NOT to kill myself??

Fucking shrinks..

• Yay!
Reactions: Greenberg
fresca

fresca

Feb 10, 2021
Yeah. I did that, called a safety plan tho.

Reactions: Lostandlooking
L

Lostandlooking

In limbo
Jul 23, 2020
No therapist would begin to suggest that such a contract has any legal validity or purpose. However from a therapist and client perspective their may be some value depending on the legal requirements and organisational requirements under which the individual therapist works.

Firstly, having a client sign a such a contract may open a dialogue regarding suicide that doesnt revolve around the therapists need for 'safety' for themselves.
When a client attempts or commits suicide there is an investigation, at a minimum of organisational level, to ascertain that the therapist has acted in accordance with legal requirements and organisational requirements regarding suicidality. Suicide is a stressful event for a therapist and the impact can be tremendous and far reaching. Such contracts offer the powers that be a paper trail of evidence that the therapist has not been intentionally negligent or 'unaware' of the potential of suicidality.
It may also provide an 'out' for the therapist in terms of obligation to proceed to involving 'other' services or legal intervention with the client.
Both of the above are positive factors in the therapeutic relationship from my perspective because it means that both parties can then speak openly about the issue of suicidal ideation rather than with 'fear' of the implications of a client admitting suicidal ideation.
Hopefully this is a good thing.
For a small portion of the population 'contracting' also acts as a visual reminder that their are steps that can be taken if they become ideated and ideally there would be a thorough safety plan included with any contract.

Working with those who experience chronic ideation or actively self harm is not an easy job and does have an impact on the therapist. Good supervision is helpful in supporting a therapist through self directed guilt and self blame and grief but therapists are only human.
I think you're right, it's obviously not legally binding. It more about what the therapist needs than what the client needs. And I get that that's unavoidable. This is part of protocol. Same thing when therapists HAVE to call the emergency services when they think you're in danger. Even if you tell them you're not going to hurt yourself. This sort of thing just makes it so that I'll hide my feelings more and talk less.

The legal requirements and organizational requirements must be met, but actually listening to someone is often not possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: LaminarFlow and Greenberg
M

Miss_Takes

Somewhere Over the Rainbow
Dec 4, 2020
I think you're right, it's obviously not legally binding. It more about what the therapist needs than what the client needs. And I get that that's unavoidable. This is part of protocol. Same thing when therapists HAVE to call the emergency services when they think you're in danger. Even if you tell them you're not going to hurt yourself. This sort of thing just makes it so that I'll hide my feelings more and talk less.

The legal requirements and organizational requirements must be met, but actually listening to someone is often not possible.
So many people here think therapists are immune to fear and anxiety and that 'covering their back' means they are putting their interests over their clients. Heres a concept for people ... THEY ARE ... and absolutely necessarily rightly so. MY therapist does not owe me the legal amd other issues associated with MY choice to suicide (unless there is some intention harm or unintentional neglect caused). A lot of people here think their therapist must throw themselves o their sword in order to prove their 'worth' to us. They dont ... a good therapist puts their own need for 'safety' ahead of their client just as a good therapist would always suggest a client puts their own safety first.
Therpists dont cure people they merely provide a sounding board and options to a person ... a hope that the client may not have ... a detached and impartial ear to listen with ... and on occasion a suggestion or direction if someone is 'stuck'.
There are good and bad therapists just as there competent and incompetent in any profession ...
Vilifying someone because they are protecting their self, their livelihood, their sanity is unfair ... and pointless ... and why so many 'good' therapists leave the profession and so many 'less good', less experienced, less kind therapists end up wielding the power of the therapeutic relationship (and the power imbalance is very real obviously) they have over those who often have much less.
The irony of the 'contract' is that while it is essentially useless it is absolutely NOT pointless.

Rant over ...

Reactions: jbell213
HelloHell

HelloHell

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
Yes i signed one. Honestly, still not gonna stop me from ctb.

Seiba

Seiba

Arcanist
Jun 13, 2021
No, no one knows anything about suicide concerning myself. Literally ordered scalpels a while ago just to have the option for neck cutting if I got really desperate on a shared account and the person was none the wiser.

Squiddy

Squiddy

Sep 4, 2019
Yes i signed one. Honestly, still not gonna stop me from ctb.
Same. Once it's my time, it's my time, but I still feel slightly bad for "breaking it"