Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
There's some more double-standards that I want to vent about.

First of all I want to talk about the view on Happiness:

I read a post made by someone (not in this community) that said: "No one in the world is responsible for your own happiness" or something along those lines. You see this rhetoric a lot; especially in motivational quotes that are spammed on social media. At the same time a lot of people in society think that suicide is wrong because it hurts others... But isn't this hypocritical? If nobody is responsible for our own happiness, including that of a suicidal persons, then how can someone who has ended their lives be responsible for other peoples happiness, or rather, unhappiness? It should work both ways.

Second I want to talk about the concept of Personal responsibility:

This is something else that is talked about a lot. There's quite a lot of videos on YouTube were a motivational speaker will say something like: "You've gotta take responsibility for yourself. You've gotta own yourself, man!" , and it's usually followed by "Don't blame other people for your problems." If nobody is responsible for a suicidal persons problems, or anyones problems for that matter, then how is it the problem of a suicidal person if someone else is affected by their death? It should work both ways.

You also hear a similar argument made about feelings, and it usually comes from conservative-leaning people, or just those who identify as individualists They will say: "The world doesn't revolve around your feelings you damn snowflake! Stop acting like a victim!" they also like to bash younger people with stuff like "These damn kids are so easily offended nowadays!" Yet it's these same types of people who get really angry and upset when someone takes their own life - "I can't believe you've committed suicide! You're so selfish because you have caused everyone so much pain! Why couldn't you have manned up like the 'real men' did in the 1950's?" ...Can anyone else see the contradiction here? Surely isn't getting upset by someone killing themselves a form of letting your feelings get hurt? They shouldn't criticize the suicidal person since, by their own logic, no one is responsible for their feelings. Why don't they stop being such a "snowflake" and stop being "offended" by what someone does with their life?

By the way: I don't fully agree with what I posted above about not caring about others feelings. This post is just to highlight some of the hypocritical things that society preaches.

• Love
Reactions: casctb, Intheo, death unto me and 7 others
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
Eventually something will bite humanity in the ass and they will rediscover the wheel: Everyfuckingbody is responsible for everybody else's happiness. That's the entire point of being human, social animals with language.

• Love
Reactions: Sprite_Geist, Oyoy and snuffcore
suffering

suffering

Too p*ssy to end it, too suicidal to leave
Aug 17, 2018
There's some more double-standards that I want to vent about.

First of all I want to talk about the view on Happiness:

I read a post made by someone (not in this community) that said: "No one in the world is responsible for your own happiness" or something along those lines. You see this rhetoric a lot; especially in motivational quotes that are spammed on social media. At the same time a lot of people in society think that suicide is wrong because it hurts others... But isn't this hypocritical? If nobody is responsible for our own happiness, including that of a suicidal persons, then how can someone who has ended their lives be responsible for other peoples happiness, or rather, unhappiness? It should work both ways.

Second I want to talk about the concept of Personal responsibility:

This is something else that is talked about a lot. There's quite a lot of videos on YouTube were a motivational speaker will say something like: "You've gotta take responsibility for yourself. You've gotta own yourself, man!" , and it's usually followed by "Don't blame other people for your problems." If nobody is responsible for a suicidal persons problems, or anyones problems for that matter, then how is it the problem of a suicidal person if someone else is affected by their death? It should work both ways.

You also hear a similar argument made about feelings, and it usually comes from conservative-leaning people, or just those who identify as individualists They will say: "The world doesn't revolve around your feelings you damn snowflake! Stop acting like a victim!" they also like to bash younger people with stuff like "These damn kids are so easily offended nowadays!" Yet it's these same types of people who get really angry and upset when someone takes their own life - "I can't believe you've committed suicide! You're so selfish because you have caused everyone so much pain! Why couldn't you have manned up like the 'real men' did in the 1950's?" ...Can anyone else see the contradiction here? Surely isn't getting upset by someone killing themselves a form of letting your feelings get hurt? They shouldn't criticize the suicidal person since, by their own logic, no one is responsible for their feelings. Why don't they stop being such a "snowflake" and stop being "offended" by what someone does with their life?

By the way: I don't fully agree with what I posted above about not caring about others feelings. This post is just to highlight some of the hypocritical things that society preaches.
I was once in the 'you gotta have responsibility, snowflake' crowd when I was younger. Looking back, I think it came from a place of existential fear. I needed to believe that taking responsibility and acting strong can bring happiness. Because it was the only thing I had some control over. It takes a lot of courage to admit the brutality of the world, the randomness of outcomes, the powerlessness we can face and the fact that even a good, hardworking, guiltless person can be hurt by life in unspeakable ways. You can do everything right and fail. It's better to be lucky than to be anything else.
I was just a coward trying hard to lie to myself that I have control in this world.

• Love
Reactions: casctb, Sprite_Geist, woxihuanni and 2 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I hate the word responsibility. It's so vague and doesn't point towards any real actions. In this context people are basically saying "just don't be sad" and acting like we're supposed to just accept problems and not consider suicide.

Reactions: casctb and Sprite_Geist
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
Thank you for the kind replies. And I am sorry if my first post comes off as aggressive or insulting - that wasn't my intention.

Reactions: woxihuanni