voidman

voidman

emptiness —> nothingness
Sep 15, 2020
I can't answer the question about certain type of gun and ammo because I really don't know anything about guns or ammo. I just read about where to shot yourself in the head to ensure maximum success. I figure that if I go out to the woods to a real rural location that I won't be found and that increases the chances of success.

In terms of the second question-- I think it depends what state your're in. I'm in Georgia and learned that mental health doesn't come up on a background check unless you've been involuntarily committed. I learned that from googling and an NPR piece about people with mental illness getting guns in Georgia came up. They were of course presenting it as "this is a problem" and had no idea that a suicidal person would be able to use the information they provided to actually get a gun. There is no waiting period in Georgia. I decided to go out and get it and I walked out of the store with it in hand all in a matter of hours. Other states I think have waiting periods. From a public health perspective it makes sense but I was sure glad to be able to get my hands on it so quickly.

Getting the gun has ironically been my best depression treatment. I got enough of a lift from getting it to push through a few more weeks. I'm gonna wait to see what happens with the election because I'm curious, and I have a conference presentation the day after the election, so I'll hang around for that. I told my therapist about how the fact that I can get a gun so easily is my depression treatment right now. I didn't say that I got one. Anyhow, she was going to advocate an ECT referral for me, but no one will give me a referral, so the gun and ammo remain my treatment for now. I talked about going on a vacation for my birthday a little after the election. I think I can use that as an opportunity to get to a rural location and escape detection until I'm gone. I wish I could garauntee that I'd just go missing and not be found ever. If I knew that I could just be a missing person rather than a known suicide then I'd feel more at ease with acting.
involuntary is only if the police take you against your will right?

G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
I spent time researching it this weekend, and learned that in the state I'm in the only background check is that which is federally required, and that voluntairy hospitalizaions do not go into that database. So I decicided to try it tonight. I did not have a mental health flag and passed the background check. In the state that I'm in, there is no waiting period or training requirments, so I was able decide where to get it, purchase, and walk out with it in hand in a few hours. I'm horrified that it was so easy, and also grateful because it is incrediably free-ing to have ready access to an option that allows me to exercise decision about whether to live or die (barring other health issues or unintended accidents.) The weird thing, is that now that I have it in my hands, I feel less suicidal. Not sure if others can relate to feeling less suicidal when a means is within hands, and not sure if others can relate to gun laws being so lax.
I am a little jealous. Its not that easy , impossible actually , where I am. I think you feel less suicidal because your destiny is now literally in your own hands. It makes you more relaxed because you have the comfort of knowing the means is there now and you have control .
Its how I would feel I think .

Reactions: Meditation guide
T

tiredxillenial

Jul 19, 2020
involuntary is only if the police take you against your will right?
I think it's if anyone who has the legal ability to do so says you need to be hospitalized. I think that if a mental health professional does it that the way it happens is through police showing up and taking you. I'm not sure if you can enter a hospital and then be moved over into involuntary status.
I am a little jealous. Its not that easy , impossible actually , where I am. I think you feel less suicidal because your destiny is now literally in your own hands. It makes you more relaxed because you have the comfort of knowing the means is there now and you have control .
Its how I would feel I think .
Yes, it is completly about my destiny being in my own hands and being able to have control.