S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
Lack of sleep + staying up late = horrible existence that I want to end asap. Sleeping pills help me an unreasonable amount.

With that in mind, I have been trying to establish with a PCP since August. Was told earliest appt was October. Okay, fine. Three weeks prior to appt, they call, "Provider won't be in the office day, so appt in December." (so, two months later)

Okay, fine. Two weeks prior they call and say the same line. New appt in January. (again, two months later)

Well one week before that appt, they call - same line - new appt in February. (now, one month later...progress?)

I certainly investigated looking into other places, but it was always three+ months out. I just couldn't imagine they'd keep doing this, because it's never happened before. So I feel like Charlie Brown and also feel very foolish for not making an appointment elsewhere. But hey, if I weren't an absolute idiot, well, let's just say my life might be tolerable.

For the record, I don't need a lot of sleeping pills, I usually take 2.5mg (a quarter pill of my 10mg), and maybe a melatonin. Resistance gradually builds up and so, like with caffeine, I do periodic "cleanses" to reset my tolerance. I'm actually rather healthy and good about self-care, but sleeping pills are still absolutely necessary for those nights when my stupid brain won't give me a break. And it is just such a relief to shut it up - to know I'm about to have a horrible night where I stay up late to hurt myself and instead get a full night's sleep.

Although speaking of which, the thing I really dislike about prescribed sleeping pills is how groggy they make me. So hard to get up in the morning, and I feel if I just slept in until I'd naturally wake up I'd sleep 10-11+ hours.

I dunno. Not feeling like I can make it till the appointment anyway.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: myopybyproxy, Samsal112 and WoAiGou
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
Ever try CBD or delta 8 thc? Can be an okay substitute until you get another prescription for your sleeping pills.

• Love
Reactions: stilldreaming
A

AlwaysAnhedonia

Penchant for excess
Dec 14, 2021
You can always try an urgent care. Explain your insomnia to them. They can usually write a script for a months worth I've done this when I've been desperate for meds . You could also try a tele-medicine doc on the web.

• Love
Samsal112

Samsal112

Student
Dec 20, 2021
I am so sorry, I know how it feels when you can't get a refill on a medicine that makes life more bearable. I am hoping you're able to get an appointment soon.

• Love
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
delta 8 thc

I've not tried anything like that, but thank you for the suggestion! I was very proud to vote to legalize pot and am very for it (especially over alcohol), though can I confess that I'd be a bit scared to try it? For most people it's relaxing but for I tiny amount of people I hear it can be the opposite, and it so happens my brother felt it that it made him more anxious, and since I'm an anxious basket case... :P

That said, I do wonder sometimes if such things would help me. I suppose I could go into a dispensary and ask what they have to help for sleep...?

You can always try an urgent care. Explain your insomnia to them. They can usually write a script for a months worth I've done this when I've been desperate for meds . You could also try a tele-medicine doc on the web.

Funnily enough, it was from my local hospital's equivalent of an urgent care clinic that I made an appointment with this place (as it's part of their system). In fact, I needed to have an appointment setup so they'd give me a short-term prescription for my necessary-to-live medication (I have since been able to see drs remotely for this stuff and can get it prescribed over virtual appointments as there's no black market demand for it or anything since it doesn't give any positive emotional effects or whatever)

...tbh it might be kinda satisfying to go back to them and be like look, you know that appointment y'all made for me back in August? They keep cancelling it!

I just can't believe it though, I'm wondering if this is just the state of things these day in the US for medical appointments. I can't be the only one this is happening to, right? I especially hate having to feel "drug seeking" looking for sleeping pills like this. It's just so frustrating.

But thank you for the reply. I think I will go ahead and see about making an appointment for my hospital's urgent care clinic (I think they call it "same day care" or something?), I know they'll be very very very resistant but really, what am I supposed to do? ("Suffer", I expect them to say) I did everything they asked, and look where I am :(
You could also try a tele-medicine doc on the web.
Oh yes, I did actually try this, but they said they can only be prescribed in-person :( (there's a list of medications they emphasize cannot be prescribed online)

Reactions: myopybyproxy
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
I've not tried anything like that, but thank you for the suggestion! I was very proud to vote to legalize pot and am very for it (especially over alcohol), though can I confess that I'd be a bit scared to try it? For most people it's relaxing but for I tiny amount of people I hear it can be the opposite, and it so happens my brother felt it that it made him more anxious, and since I'm an anxious basket case... :P

That said, I do wonder sometimes if such things would help me. I suppose I could go into a dispensary and ask what they have to help for sleep...?
delta 8 is a different molecule than the typical thc which gets you high. Anecdotally people say it's less anxiety inducing, when I used cannabis I definitely had more success with CBD and delta 8 rather than regular weed. The best thing for you would probably be a CBD/delta 8 mixture tincture, which is usually sold online and legal in the states, but I'm not sure where you're from.

M

myopybyproxy

flickerbeat \\ gibberish-noise
Dec 18, 2021
Teledoctors are not allowed to prescribe controlled substances. At least not the service I used. Depending on the provider and the type of sleeping pill OP gets, an online appointment will be a waste of time. Tried to get sleeping pills myself this way and all they had for me was the brilliant advice 'don't drink water or expose yourself to lights before bed, oh btw take a melatonin hehe sorry our company doesn't allow us to give you a script for anything that will actually help your insomnia'.

My GP is the same with delaying appointments but not as bad. More so on a smaller scale; I'll be sitting in the waiting room for 3-4 hours. Then once I get to see him he doesn't really listen. He even admitted he didn't know anything about the medications I suggested (after looking into them myself). And yet he has the audacity to nod and pretend he cares and then write me a script for something completely different to what I enquired about that ends up not helping and having horrid side effects. The instructions are vague as fuck, too. But trying to find a new GP is exhausting. And also, who gives a flying fuck? I'll be dead soon. I had better not be around for summer 2023.

• Hugs
S

stilldreaming

Student
Aug 30, 2021
CBD/delta 8

It will certainly be legal in my state though perhaps I'm giving out too much info on this website as they caution against anything remotely identifying. Tbh this seems like one of the kindest websites out there, and probably does more to prevent suicides than any "pro-life" site :(