• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

On the rollercoaster of sadness
Oct 17, 2023
I'm paralysed by indecision. I don't know if I should go back to work at the end of next week (end of my sick note) or continue off sick for another month.

The doctors in the UK don't seem to want to assess people, they just ask you how long you want the sick note to be. I hate it because I don't know, you're the doctor, you tell me!

I still have psychotic episodes although they are more far in between but it varies. Today I had one and two days ago another.

My psychologist said that at some point our daily life needs to change for us to not stagnate so he was in favour of me going back to work. My boyfriend thinks I'm not ready and since I'll start EMDR soon and he already did EMDR, he said it will be very intense and could be risky doing that at the same time as going back to work.

I just want to make the right choice, I don't know what it's best. I don't want to wreck my health. What do I do...

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
if you have the option of being off sick one more month than there is no harm taking another month if you don't feel ready. or can they do that thing where it's a few days a week on and the rest of the week is off.

it sounds from what you've written that you need it off saying that

ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

Oct 17, 2023
if you have the option of being off sick one more month than there is no harm taking another month if you don't feel ready. or can they do that thing where it's a few days a week on and the rest of the week is off.

it sounds from what you've written that you need it off saying that
They can do a phased return to work where I work just mornings one week, then until after lunch in the second week until the last week is full time but I will earn less than being off sick.

• Love
Reactions: kawaiiphantom
A

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
I had that issue. I could stay longer in sick leave or start working again at part time. I decided with my psychiatrist to get back to work part time.
Spending time alone with my thoughts has started to get counterproductive for me, letting me spiral down easier.
Going back to work even part time made me have more structure in my daily life, going out, speaking to people, have other stuff to think than depression....

I think it is mostly about what you need right now. Are you still feeling overwhelmed by doing anything and need more rest, or, are you feeling better and could benefit from some going out and structure right now?

Reactions: ForgottenAgain
ForgottenAgain

ForgottenAgain

Oct 17, 2023
I had that issue. I could stay longer in sick leave or start working again at part time. I decided with my psychiatrist to get back to work part time.
Spending time alone with my thoughts has started to get counterproductive for me, letting me spiral down easier.
Going back to work even part time made me have more structure in my daily life, going out, speaking to people, have other stuff to think than depression....

I think it is mostly about what you need right now. Are you still feeling overwhelmed by doing anything and need more rest, or, are you feeling better and could benefit from some going out and structure right now?
I don't think I'm overwhelmed, it's more so that I can't do much regarding programming currently (I'm a programmer). I've been trying to do it while on sick leave but I'm nowhere near how I was before.

I was more confident on going back to work previously to my boyfriend mentioning that he thinks I may not be ready. Having those 2 psychotic episodes so close together out of nowhere also didn't help.

Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
I get why the doctors would not decide it for you as it is a very person and therefore dependent decision to make. Only you can truly tell how much more time you need.

Me personally would take advice from someone with experience tho. If your boyfriend thinks that you are not ready, assuming that he knows you very well, then you should definitely take that into account. Focus on your well being first.
While it is important to get back into everyday life when you are ready, it is no use when it will only pull you further down and make you more reluctant to go back to work.

But at the end of the day, you have to make that decision for yourself.

• Informative
Reactions: ForgottenAgain