Avicii

Avicii

Looking
Sep 4, 2018
Father of man in coma urges doctors to let him die

https://mol.im/a/7295257

The father urged medics to switch off his ventilator but what's more tragic is the bit where he says

'If the doctors could magically bring him out of his coma, no one would be happier than me. I would take him in any state – in a wheelchair, dribbling, anything. I would look after him and care for him every day if only he could have some sort of life.'

As if his son dribbling never speaking is 'some kind of life'

Parents eh

• Hmph!
Reactions: Kikoo Loool
T

Tally

Student
Apr 29, 2019
Just a different perspective on what love is from the father

Reactions: k75
AnnaJaspers

AnnaJaspers

Experienced
Jul 2, 2019
Selfish parents imo.

Reactions: Going Home, Kikoo Loool and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yeah about the part where the father will accept his son's state of life even if it is really poor quality of life is just appalling. I suppose one simple explanation for people similar to him is that they view anything that is sentient, has a heart beat and can breathe (on one's own) is still considered a positive thing.

Reactions: justanotherday, Kikoo Loool, binturong and 1 other person
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
I am definitely in the minority around here, but I could never think hateful things about someone grieving with that much displaced love. There's no logic in grief.

• Love
Reactions: littlelady774, Aurelius, 8yy8uiyhbij and 1 other person
HGL91

HGL91

Warlock
Jul 2, 2019
Reminds me of a story I saw, where a young man attempted suicide by hanging but was "rescued", so he had tons of brain damage and was in a wheel chair, He couldn't even speak but when his mom asked him if he still wanted to die, his robot voice said "Yes."

Kind of dark humor really. She was obviously hoping he'd say he wanted to live now after being saved lol

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
Anyone who is an adult of legal age in your country, and doesn't have advanced directives/living wills etc is being foolish. Everyone knows they exist unless they live in a cave, everyone fears this situation, get the papers. DNR orders are generally unavailable in most countries unless you have a terminal illness or are old and likely to kick it soon. But advanced directives to prevent life support, feeding tubes, and other "heroic measures" to keep you alive are available to all adults in most places. You don't need a reason. Just ask for them and sign them.

About the parents, like@k75 said logic is frequently overwhelmed by emotion. Even people who say they would never do this, do this when it happens. That's why you NEED THE PAPERS. Did I mention you should GET THE PAPERS? If I didn't....you should really GO GET THE PAPERS!

Last edited:
h0wd1rtygurlsST4Yc1n

h0wd1rtygurlsST4Yc1n

Jul 26, 2019
what they did to bobby christina was wrong. and keeping some one alive in a vegetative state is wrong. hell i'm perfectly healthy and probably have more going for me than most yet still some how i don't fucking want to be here. kudos to brave people but people should not keep family members alive like this. that's why usually if you are at that point you give that right to a non family member.

Reactions: justanotherday
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
The thing is, it's the non-family members in this story who are refusing to let him die.

O

oopswronglife

Elementalist
Jun 27, 2019
The thing is, it's the non-family members in this story who are refusing to let him die.

Ah yeah sort of missed that bit...regardless advanced directives would prevent this as well. The patients legal declarations cannot be overruled by family or providers, and if someone tries an advocate can ask for immediate legal remedy, whereas when you don't have your wishes in writing, not much can be done in a case like this one...at least not in short order. Popular cases have gone on for months and years.

Last edited:
Broken Chimera

Broken Chimera

The abyss also gazes into you
May 27, 2019
The part that I'm stuck on is the fact that other parents had to fight to keep their children alive, but he has to fight to let his son die. What kind of idiots do they have over there?