Intelligent_Panic99

Intelligent_Panic99

Student
Jan 4, 2022
Another post made me think of this but I didn't want to hijack that person's post. Anyway if (and this is a big if) I wanted to get rid of N (I am not there but I may need to at some point if I can't bring myself to take it). How would I do it? I am assuming I wouldn't pour it down a drain. Also, I am not giving it someone and being an active participant in their death. I am very much for people doing what they want, but I don't think I could live with that.

I am bipolar which for me means I have moments of clarity where I don't want to die (now) and sometimes months long moments of darkness where ctb is all I can think about (why I bought the N). And then there's mania where I might just drink the stuff impulsively which is not what I want.

Reactions: whatevs, onlyanimalsaregood and Cathy Ames
befree

befree

Time to do more enjoyable things _____Goodbye_____
Mar 22, 2022
Keep it in a safe place. You never know if and when you need it.

• Love
Reactions: hellispink, not-2-b-the-answer, Zegers and 5 others

6ftunder

May 11, 2022
Another post made me think of this but I didn't want to hijack that person's post. Anyway if (and this is a big if) I wanted to get rid of N (I am not there but I may need to at some point if I can't bring myself to take it). How would I do it? I am assuming I wouldn't pour it down a drain. Also, I am not giving it someone and being an active participant in their death. I am very much for people doing what they want, but I don't think I could live with that.

I am bipolar which for me means I have moments of clarity where I don't want to die (now) and sometimes months long moments of darkness where ctb is all I can think about (why I bought the N). And then there's mania where I might just drink the stuff impulsively which is not what I want.
If you make progress with how you're feeling towards life and decide to get rid of it, I would suggest dropping it off at a pharmacy or hospital.

• Wow
Reactions: Lost Magic, Angi and Lostandlooking
Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Personally, what I would do is pour it into a sealed or sealable type container with clay cat litter and send it to the landfill. I would use a plastic bottle with a cap or a metal coffee can with a lid (and tape the lid shut). In either case I would put the container inside of a zip-lock type bag. This is not a perfectly "green" solution but will keep it out of the water supply and also prevent someone else from being able to use it.

Reactions: NobodyKnowsMe and onlyanimalsaregood
Interloper

Interloper

Jul 23, 2021
Just drop it off at some pharmacy, they'll know what to do with it. Do it a couple of towns over if you're paranoid.

Reactions: sadnurse, Lostandlooking, Manaaja and 1 other person
Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
Just drop it off at some pharmacy, they'll know what to do with it. Do it a couple of towns over if you're paranoid.
Second this. Most pharmacies allow people to drop off unused/unwanted drugs. Take the labels off beforehand off course, but I wouldn't worry about anyone trying to track you down. After all, many prescription meds dropped off by anyone other than the patient are controlled substances too. These take-back programs are not set up as gotchas or sting operations, otherwise they would not work. Also, your local pharmacy is not a law enforcement agency.

Reactions: Manaaja, onlyanimalsaregood and Hercules
S

Seeking_Peace

Arcanist
May 18, 2022
Might as well keep it. If it's any good pharmacy will make $ off it.

H

hush hush

Student
May 13, 2022

Read this blogspot so that you expose yourself to both sides of philosophical debate about life & death, and make a decision according to your values.

Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
Might as well keep it. If it's any good pharmacy will make $ off it.
No, pharmacies (at least in developed countries) will not resell drugs that random people bring in. Consider the potential liability and the uncertainty that whatever is brought in is safe or is actually labelled correctly.

Drug take back programs are either just a public charity provided by the pharmacy, or more likely part of a publicly funded unwanted drug destruction program funded by government and for which the pharmacy makes no real profit but may recover costs.

Reactions: 710, onlyanimalsaregood, houseofleaves and 1 other person
Intelligent_Panic99

Intelligent_Panic99

Student
Jan 4, 2022
If you make progress with how you're feeling towards life and decide to get rid of it, I would suggest dropping it off at a pharmacy or hospital.
Do you think there would be any ramifications of this? I am in the US and N is illegal
Second this. Most pharmacies allow people to drop off unused/unwanted drugs. Take the labels off beforehand off course, but I wouldn't worry about anyone trying to track you down. After all, many prescription meds dropped off by anyone other than the patient are controlled substances too. These take-back programs are not set up as gotchas or sting operations, otherwise they would not work. Also, your local pharmacy is not a law enforcement agency.
will I have to tell them what it is? There is no label.

Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
I wouldn't, doubt anyone would ask. You can always walk by the pharmacy first without the N and look to see if there is simply a drop box. If it is monitored, you can ask if you can drop something off you think is in an old medicine bottle but you don't know what it is. Can even make up a story about cleaning out your late great aunt's medicine cabinet, or whatever, if you are asked (doubt anyone would).

The pharmacy will not place you under oath, they are not in the business of doing criminal investigations.

Reactions: Cathy Ames, Intelligent_Panic99 and onlyanimalsaregood
onlyanimalsaregood

onlyanimalsaregood

Unlovable 💔 Rest in peace CommitSudoku 🤍
Mar 11, 2022
It seems to me the best option.
The pharmacy will not place you under oath, they are not in the business of doing criminal investigations
Indeed. You can rest assured that they'll not and cannot do anything to you.

Cathy Ames

Cathy Ames

Cautionary Tale
Mar 11, 2022
Do you think there would be any ramifications of this? I am in the US and N is illegal

Where I live, there are specific, designated "take back" days, which definitely are no questions asked and (as far as I know) safe. Personally, I would not feel comfortable walking into a pharmacy on any given random day and having the necessary conversations to hand over an unmarked bottle of liquid. [I'd be fine doing that with a prescription bottle with my own name on it.] For N, I would either wait for a "take back" day or dispose of it as I described above. If I wanted to get rid of it ASAP, I would not wait for a "take back" day.

Tapir

Tapir

Tapirus pinchaque
Feb 12, 2022
In the US some police stations, fire departments or hospitals have places where you can drop off old medicines. In my experience these drop offs aren't staffed, it's just a secure box in a foyer that you can put stuff in but not get it out. If you locate one of those, you can drop it off there.

Reactions: YourNeighbor
Intelligent_Panic99

Intelligent_Panic99

Student
Jan 4, 2022
In the US some police stations, fire departments or hospitals have places where you can drop off old medicines. In my experience these drop offs aren't staffed, it's just a secure box in a foyer that you can put stuff in but not get it out. If you locate one of those, you can drop it off there.
I looked in my area and most of the drop off boxes that accept controlled substances are in police stations. Makes me a little nervous - but I am sure it's like you said and no one will see me

Tapir

Tapir

Tapirus pinchaque
Feb 12, 2022
I can totally understand the nerves - I wish they could be places other than police stations.

If you can accept my very small sample size, I once dropped off a not-small quantity of prescription vet-meds that were not prescribed to me at a box like this in a police station. They were the original bottles that never had patient labels (from the vet) on them. Absolutely no one cared. I found the location on the internet, went with a friend, dropped them in the box, never thought about it again until I read your post.

Take care.

Reactions: whatevs and Cathy Ames
Y

YourNeighbor

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2021
I looked in my area and most of the drop off boxes that accept controlled substances are in police stations. Makes me a little nervous - but I am sure it's like you said and no one will see me
The police station may just be so that no one tries to rob the box, and because police may have authority to handle ilicit substances and destroy them.

These boxes are not set up as traps. If they were, they would 1 - immediately be ineffective, because word would get out, and 2 - in any case only trap those people LEOs have little interest in--small time possessors of illegal drugs who are trying to destroy them/turn them in.

Reactions: Cathy Ames
TheBroken

TheBroken

What Really Matters Anymore?
Feb 13, 2022
Just don't pour it down the drain - waste treatment plants do not filter out such things very well and it will end up downstream of the city's plant.

Reactions: whatevs
UpandDownPrincess

UpandDownPrincess

Elementalist
Dec 31, 2019
I'd go with the landfill. Mixed with kitty litter is best.

This is what the hospice programs around here do with all dangerous drugs after a death.

Reactions: Lost Magic
Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Don't do it, consider it a life insurance policy for when you need to use it. you have a key in your hands.

Reactions: Alex6216
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Shit's expensive, I would stash it somewhere. If you're not going to drink it, it will just become a grim souvenir.

Reactions: lobster salad and NobodyKnowsMe
A

Alex6216

Mage
Apr 19, 2022
you should keep it and give it to someone else in the US, near you, if one ever asks. You also could just use it as actual medicine, 3ml of it would be enough to make you sleep if you have sleeping problems assuming 200ml has 6.3g of it

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
I'm sorry but the dropping the illegal N substance to the pharmacy sounds ludicrous to me. The kitty litter in the landfill sounds like a better option. What a waste though.

Reactions: Chronic