L

Lycan

Dec 2, 2022
I'm thinking of jumping into the lake on a cold winter night. But I'm so scared. How badly would it hurt? How long would it take?

• Hugs
Reactions: lostinmythoughts and Endex
P

peacetime

Student
Dec 27, 2022
I'm just guessing but I would imagine it would be a fairly traumatic, painful death. I can't recommend it. On this forum, people discuss SN and hanging, which are far more "peaceful" as far as deaths go.

Reactions: Lycan
L

Lycan

Dec 2, 2022
I don't anything about SN or chemicals It's over my sick disabled head.

• Hugs
Reactions: Endex
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
I think the pain would be very bad, at least 8 on a scale of ten, but it might not be for that long, maybe five or ten minutes, but it would seem much longer due to the pain level. It just depends how bad your current pain is if this is worth it. It seems like one of the more painful methods, but at least it's not over a long period of time.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
That does sound like an awful way to leave this world to me, but of course lots of people have died in such a way, like in accidents so I guess that it's always possible if you have no other options. I hope that you eventually find freedom from all suffering.

• Hugs
A

araney995

Dec 27, 2022
Why so much pain 8/10?? People swim as a hobby in icy waters and become addicted to it. Unbelievable

• Hmph!
Reactions: ThisIsLife and Someone123
S

Someone123

Illuminated
Oct 19, 2021
Why so much pain 8/10?? People swim as a hobby in icy waters and become addicted to it. Unbelievable
That's not the same- it's still a comfortable temperature to them. But freezing to death is vastly more painful- it could be 10/10. Try going outside on a really cold and windy day until you are shaking uncontrollably from the cold- then stay out there for a few minutes while you are shaking uncontrollably. The pain will be excrutiating, and that is a small fraction of the pain. Freezing to death is nothing like swimming in a cold water temperature that you still find to be comfortable. You are the one who is unbelievable, out of touch with reality.
I found a good description of freezing to death in water on Quora:

"Your skin starts feeling so cold, it begins to burn, and you can slowly feel your blood freeze, sometimes you begin to hallucinate, and slowly lose feeling and free ability to move in all your limbs. Your lips turn blue and your whole face feels like you poured lava over it, then stabbed it with a thousand knives. you feel lethargic after a while, and as the freezing moves to your brain (if you stay conscious for that long - some pass out when it gets to the upper limbs), you have a migraine. Bits and pieces of you begin to crack and sometimes fall off. You get drowned in this feeling of complete and utter hopelessness because you know you'll die, and a feeling of regret as you are literally stranded, frickin freezing to death, thinking over your life. The cold air hits your lungs, and it feels like you are breathing in knives and exhaling torches. Not a fun way to go."

Last edited:
  • Aww..
theboy

theboy

Illuminated
Jul 15, 2022
How many meters high is it approximately?

Supersnakes444

Supersnakes444

Antinatalist
Jun 3, 2020
I tried this recently, but it was a pond and it was still deep (in Canada, so part of it was frozen), and I lowered myself to the shore and jumped forward into the water. The second my body was submerged, I shot up and took a huge gasp. It's called the cold-shock response and it causes you to lose control of your body. I had to try not to thrash, but I couldn't help it. I didn't reach the point of getting frostbite or anything, but I could feel the heat leaving my body it's not painful in the way getting punched is, but it's extremely uncomfortable. If you manage to keep yourself from swimming to shore, you'll either pass out, go into cardiac arrest due to heart palpitations, or the gasping and lack of breath hold will make you feel weak or breathe water into your lungs.
I couldn't handle the feeling of being in 1 degree water with my muscles uncontrollably shaking, and my survival mode caused me to paddle back to shore within a couple of minutes.
To answer your question, yes it most definitely can be used to commit suicide, as there have been many intentional and unintentional deaths caused by cold water immersion. Is it a peaceful of comfortable way to die? Absolutely not and it's really difficult to force yourself to stay in the freezing water for more than a couple of minutes.

Reactions: Domimi
mayhem

mayhem

dysphoria. delusion. despair.
Feb 23, 2023
That's not the same- it's still a comfortable temperature to them. But freezing to death is vastly more painful- it could be 10/10. Try going outside on a really cold and windy day until you are shaking uncontrollably from the cold- then stay out there for a few minutes while you are shaking uncontrollably. The pain will be excrutiating, and that is a small fraction of the pain. Freezing to death is nothing like swimming in a cold water temperature that you still find to be comfortable. You are the one who is unbelievable, out of touch with reality.

"Your skin starts feeling so cold, it begins to burn, and you can slowly feel your blood freeze, sometimes you begin to hallucinate, and slowly lose feeling and free ability to move in all your limbs. Your lips turn blue and your whole face feels like you poured lava over it, then stabbed it with a thousand knives. you feel lethargic after a while, and as the freezing moves to your brain (if you stay conscious for that long - some pass out when it gets to the upper limbs), you have a migraine. Bits and pieces of you begin to crack and sometimes fall off. You get drowned in this feeling of complete and utter hopelessness because you know you'll die, and a feeling of regret as you are literally stranded, frickin freezing to death, thinking over your life. The cold air hits your lungs, and it feels like you are breathing in knives and exhaling torches. Not a fun way to go."
yes, exactly!! and there's also a huge possibility of drowning which would be super painful too.

R

Renovice

Nov 13, 2023

This is literally just propaganda, look at actual reports of first person experiences, THIS IS A description of an outside perpsective there is literal descriptions on qoura on how terrible jumping is lmao. ur just dramatazing is, most people would be knocked out in 15 minutes, there is plenty cold water overboard victims that report just feeling numb and weak not particurarly painful.

Hypothermia doesnt really hurt that much after the initial stage and in water there is no frostbite.

Reactions: Supersnakes444
lostinmythoughts

lostinmythoughts

Student
Nov 30, 2023
I'm thinking of jumping into the lake on a cold winter night. But I'm so scared. How badly would it hurt? How long would it take?
Sounds fast but painful! I don't know I feel like we can take pain for few minutes since our life is painful but I won't do it myself maybe jumping off the bridge to a warm water in a hot day but definitely not the freezing water