LonelyDude15

LonelyDude15

Currently Spiraling
Sep 26, 2020
My first year of university had been a horrible experience. My ADHD drugs made me act like a madman and along with that brought about strong symptoms of depression. The effects of the medication also brought about really strong OCD symptoms that made it impossible for me to stop reliving past events. That along with being a racial minority, often the only one in my class, made the entire experience super stressful and a real ordeal. I could give more details about what I went through but I'll spare you that. This event occurred during my last week on residence I had already completed my last final exam and was packing up my stuff and preparing to leave. I was really disappointed and sad about how my first year had gone especially because I put so many expectations on moving away for university. I had already thought about taking drugs as a way of committing suicide but when I went to the pharmacy previously to get the prescription I needed they didn't have any of the drugs I was requesting. So this time I just took all the medication I had on me as well as painkillers and whatever else I could find, hoping that some interaction would finally do it. I collapsed on the bed and was super tired. I thought that this is finally it. For some stupid reason my survival instinct kicked in and I thought that perhaps I was acting too rash and should probably go throw up in the washroom. When I got to the washroom I tried to vomit but I couldn't make myself do it. At this time I thought I saw myself seeing hallucinations. Later I was told it was probably just the stimulants in the medication mix making me paranoid. I was terrified that I was making a horrible mistake and that I was going to end up giving myself psychosis. So I put on my shoes and literally RAN to the nearest hospital. My university is right smack in the middle of Toronto, my residence was even more so being right next to the famous Toronto sign. Because I was downtown it was super easy to run to a nearby hospital in a couple of minutes. I actually had the option to pick which hospital I wanted to go too. Luckily for me because I'm Canadian I didn't have to worry about expenses when this happened. As soon as I walked in I must've looked wild and crazed because the receptionist said "Oh no not one of those again." Not what you want to hear in this situation. I filled out my forms and complained that I was seeing hallucinations and couldn't tell what was real or not. The next few minutes in this receptionist waiting area are the most embarrassing that I have ever experienced in my life and I'm honestly getting really anxious reliving this experience just writing this so I'll mostly just summarize. I wandered around like an idiot, ended up fainting because of the drugs I took, and then when I came too. (On the floor may I add like I was some piece of trash) I was rushed to a seat and told to stop causing problems. Because I was scared and confused I kept asking the receptionist what happened when I was unconscious she kept dismissing and ignoring me adding to my sense of doom. I was eventually put on an iv, my parents were called and I was treated by some very kind nurses but honestly, after everything I had just gone through I wish I had just stayed in my room and died. This is the first time I've recounted this experience since it happened and my heart is still beating really fast thinking about it. Thank you for listening to my sad and pathetic tale.

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: achb, Fin, LostInSociety and 7 others
Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
Sounds scary. I wish you had been treated better at the hospital. "Not once of those again" is not a helpful or kind response to receive when you are in distress. Could you send feedback to the hospital about it?

• Love
Reactions: ming, Stick, LonelyDude15 and 1 other person
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
" At this time I thought I saw myself seeing hallucinations " i once thought I saw myself seeing hallucinations.

Thank God I finally realised I was just hallucinating.

Close call.

True story.

Reactions: Stick and LonelyDude15
LonelyDude15

LonelyDude15

Currently Spiraling
Sep 26, 2020
" At this time I thought I saw myself seeing hallucinations " i once thought I saw myself seeing hallucinations.

Thank God I finally realised I was just hallucinating.

Close call.

True story.
Lol, ya the hospital said nothing I took would've caused me to hallucinate and as I said I was scared that I had given myself psychosis so perhaps I forced myself into seeing things somehow. I guess we'll never really know though.
Sounds scary. I wish you had been treated better at the hospital. "Not once of those again" is not a helpful or kind response to receive when you are in distress. Could you send feedback to the hospital about it?
I tried telling a nurse, she said she was sorry that it happened but I could tell they weren't going to do anything. The whole experience gave me so much more empathy for the homeless and drug addicts because its not fun being treated that way.

• Hugs
Reactions: Stick
Stick

Stick

Experienced
Aug 31, 2020
Wtf? Why did they treat you like that? I'm so sorry that happened to you it is not something to be embarrassed about. Honestly your experience is what I'm scared of. I'm scared of giving into the panic and heading to the hospital myself.
It's not common, but some people hallucinate as a stress response. I had a few episodes of that last year just because I was stressed out.
You had immense courage even making the decision to ctb, your experience at the hospital doesn't take away from that. Dismissing you the way she did was not okay for the nurse to do at all.

• Love
Reactions: LonelyDude15
Smellanie

Smellanie

Feb 28, 2019
Wow that freaking sucks I'm so sorry you had to deal with that. I swear to god people will take any opportunity to shit on a person in distress. Thanks for sharing your story, it really shows the dangers of unplanned attempts. I hope finally telling it helps you heal. And know that you have nothing to be shamed of.

• Love
Reactions: Stick and LonelyDude15
demuic

demuic

Life was a mistake
Sep 12, 2020
My first year of university had been a horrible experience. My ADHD drugs made me act like a madman and along with that brought about strong symptoms of depression. The effects of the medication also brought about really strong OCD symptoms that made it impossible for me to stop reliving past events. That along with being a racial minority, often the only one in my class, made the entire experience super stressful and a real ordeal. I could give more details about what I went through but I'll spare you that. This event occurred during my last week on residence I had already completed my last final exam and was packing up my stuff and preparing to leave. I was really disappointed and sad about how my first year had gone especially because I put so many expectations on moving away for university. I had already thought about taking drugs as a way of committing suicide but when I went to the pharmacy previously to get the prescription I needed they didn't have any of the drugs I was requesting. So this time I just took all the medication I had on me as well as painkillers and whatever else I could find, hoping that some interaction would finally do it. I collapsed on the bed and was super tired. I thought that this is finally it. For some stupid reason my survival instinct kicked in and I thought that perhaps I was acting too rash and should probably go throw up in the washroom. When I got to the washroom I tried to vomit but I couldn't make myself do it. At this time I thought I saw myself seeing hallucinations. Later I was told it was probably just the stimulants in the medication mix making me paranoid. I was terrified that I was making a horrible mistake and that I was going to end up giving myself psychosis. So I put on my shoes and literally RAN to the nearest hospital. My university is right smack in the middle of Toronto, my residence was even more so being right next to the famous Toronto sign. Because I was downtown it was super easy to run to a nearby hospital in a couple of minutes. I actually had the option to pick which hospital I wanted to go too. Luckily for me because I'm Canadian I didn't have to worry about expenses when this happened. As soon as I walked in I must've looked wild and crazed because the receptionist said "Oh no not one of those again." Not what you want to hear in this situation. I filled out my forms and complained that I was seeing hallucinations and couldn't tell what was real or not. The next few minutes in this receptionist waiting area are the most embarrassing that I have ever experienced in my life and I'm honestly getting really anxious reliving this experience just writing this so I'll mostly just summarize. I wandered around like an idiot, ended up fainting because of the drugs I took, and then when I came too. (On the floor may I add like I was some piece of trash) I was rushed to a seat and told to stop causing problems. Because I was scared and confused I kept asking the receptionist what happened when I was unconscious she kept dismissing and ignoring me adding to my sense of doom. I was eventually put on an iv, my parents were called and I was treated by some very kind nurses but honestly, after everything I had just gone through I wish I had just stayed in my room and died. This is the first time I've recounted this experience since it happened and my heart is still beating really fast thinking about it. Thank you for listening to my sad and pathetic tale.

You should not be embarrassed, the only people who should be embarrassed are the receptionist and anyone who tried to make you feel like a nuisance and a problem for seeking help. :heart: Disrespectful and rude people in healthcare shouldn't even be working in that profession, it's disgusting the way people in pain are treated, they should be ashamed.

Reactions: LonelyDude15 and Stick