J

job1315

Student
Oct 25, 2020
So I've gone to a myriad of doctors and I have the medication they recommend but I am scared to death if it doesn't work.

I feel backed into a corner.

I don't want to CBT but I just don't see a way of getting better if this medication doesn't work.

The problem is, the last medication in this class actually worsened symptoms. My body is so haywire that more drugs have caused problems than those that have helped, and the consequences have been severe.

It feels like life and death putting this medicine in my body.

In the meantime I suffer daily :(

But I'm more afraid of taking that medication than of anything I've ever done, both for the symptoms and foe the death of hope :(

• Hugs
Reactions: Ghost2211
Gnip

Gnip

Bill the Cat
Oct 10, 2020
Very regrettably, your fears are not irrational or unjustified concerns.

That's me now at the opposite end of the tunnel you're afraid of entering, and with my AD/HD, I wonder if the paradoxical effect that amphetamines and the antihistamine diphenhydramine have on me extends to aspects of my bodily functions which have no connection to my mental health.

I actually realized when I was peaking in response to Prozac and Ritalin that they might only be working temporarily, so I furiously researched ways I could continue to get better after the medications lost efficacy.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of self help books authored by psychiatrists, psychologists, and other clinical professionals and laypeople alike are completely awful and worthless. Most of them do not even believe or otherwise practice what they preach.

For the most part, I have run dry of treatment options. I haven't tried biofeedback, transcranial magnetic stimulation, monoamine oxidase inhibitors or deep brain stimulation, but I've met plenty of people for whom al of those modalities have failed miserably.

When I was originally placed on Prozac, the psychiatrist I had just met held up the box for me to see, and asked, "Does the name scare you?" (This was at a moment when Prozac was getting a lot of bad publicity.) No, I was not in any way afraid to try Prozac, and it worked wonderfully, but only for several months.

At the same time I went on Prozac, my then new psychiatrist (who retired years ago) also made sure to place me on clonazepam for clinical anxiety, and again it worked beautifully.

Reactions: Nimbus
J

job1315

Student
Oct 25, 2020
Have you tried transcranial magnetic stimulation? It's shown to be efficacious in treatment resistant depression and is low side effect. Bilateral priming rTMS is the best type in metastudies

Also, I want to recommend this book, it helped me a lot with a breakup that left me with high heartrate and anxiety, it's the first neuroscience-based therapy I'm aware of. Seriously miracle results and I am known to take years to get over people

Amazon product ASIN 0578512815
My problem is not depression but I hope it helps

Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
Have you tried transcranial magnetic stimulation? It's shown to be efficacious in treatment resistant depression and is low side effect. Bilateral priming rTMS is the best type in metastudies

Also, I want to recommend this book, it helped me a lot with a breakup that left me with high heartrate and anxiety, it's the first neuroscience-based therapy I'm aware of. Seriously miracle results and I am known to take years to get over people

Amazon product ASIN 0578512815
My problem is not depression but I hope it helps
I tried rTMS, no side effects which was great. It helped somewhat for about 3 months but that was it. I didn't want to try it again. I do understand that it's helpful for some people and IMO definitely worth trying if you can.
I
Very regrettably, your fears are not irrational or unjustified concerns.

That's me now at the opposite end of the tunnel you're afraid of entering, and with my AD/HD, I wonder if the paradoxical effect that amphetamines and the antihistamine diphenhydramine have on me extends to aspects of my bodily functions which have no connection to my mental health.

I actually realized when I was peaking in response to Prozac and Ritalin that they might only be working temporarily, so I furiously researched ways I could continue to get better after the medications lost efficacy.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of self help books authored by psychiatrists, psychologists, and other clinical professionals and laypeople alike are completely awful and worthless. Most of them do not even believe or otherwise practice what they preach.

For the most part, I have run dry of treatment options. I haven't tried biofeedback, transcranial magnetic stimulation, monoamine oxidase inhibitors or deep brain stimulation, but I've met plenty of people for whom al of those modalities have failed miserably.

When I was originally placed on Prozac, the psychiatrist I had just met held up the box for me to see, and asked, "Does the name scare you?" (This was at a moment when Prozac was getting a lot of bad publicity.) No, I was not in any way afraid to try Prozac, and it worked wonderfully, but only for several months.

At the same time I went on Prozac, my then new psychiatrist (who retired years ago) also made sure to place me on clonazepam for clinical anxiety, and again it worked beautifully.
Had a similar experience with Prozac. Worked great for a while, then stopped. Years of trying various antidepressants afterwards was unsuccessful so I had a psychiatrist that said we should try Prozac again since so much time had passed. It worked again, like a charm. My depression even went into remission. A few years later, it stopped working again. That's been about 6 years ago now and I've tried it again since but it didn't work. Have tried just about everything now (TMS, ECT, many more drugs, even ketamine) and sadly nothing has helped.

Last edited:
J

job1315

Student
Oct 25, 2020
Have you guys tried psychedelics like magic mushrooms , LSD and even molly which are now being studied for long lasting antidepressant effects, some studies showing efficacy after 2 years from one dose alone

Nimbus

Nimbus

Hanging on is hard
Dec 2, 2019
Have you guys tried psychedelics like magic mushrooms , LSD and even molly which are now being studied for long lasting antidepressant effects, some studies showing efficacy after 2 years from one dose alone
This is one of the few things I haven't been able to try in a clinical environment. I tried shrooms years ago as a teenager, but just recreationally. I've looked into clinical trials of psilocybin (the key compound in shrooms), but you have to live nearby (for a series of treatments, additional therapy, etc.) and there are none in my area and I can't afford to move just for that. I'm currently working on getting shrooms from a "friend" just to see what effect they have, if any, on my MDD.

Reactions: job1315
J

job1315

Student
Oct 25, 2020
I would also look into dopaminergic medications, especially if you have a history of addiction or ADHD. Suffice it to say, addiction, ADHDH and obesity are all the same brain problem: lack of dopamine tone.

This talk addresses it, but keep in mind older medications cause tolerance and so you need medications that raise dopamine in a chronic way, like Wellbutrin, methylfolate and seligiline

Last edited: