self.destractive

self.destractive

ick/icks, they/them
Dec 11, 2020
what's your favorite game to play when things are particularly rough?
do videogames make you feel more empty or do they bring you joy?

usually videogames make me feel - really really bad lately. im not sure why. except for animal crossing new leaf, for whatever reason. it's really peaceful and for whatever reason catching bugs on the island always puts me to sleep (which is- not great because then my batteries run out and i lose all the bugs- but also great because ive been having problems falling asleep recently!).
anyways im curious, what games do you guys play that help your mood out and feel fulfilling?

sorry if theres already threads like this in the recovery or other section, i can always take this one down! ))

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: iknowhowtosurvive, jello, waitingforrest and 8 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Probably Spaceengine. There's something incredibly calming about realizing how small you are on the scale of the universe. Best part is it's totally free - https://spaceengine.org/

• Love
Reactions: akana, Suicidebydeath and self.destractive
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
I haven't been gaming lately, however my go to game is Minecraft. It doesn't really help with my mental state but it keeps my mind occupied for a period of time.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, whatevs, newave3 and 2 others
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I haven't been gaming lately, however my go to game is Minecraft. It doesn't really help with my mental state but it keeps my mind occupied for a period of time.
For sure. I like to play in create mode and just build a house on the beach.

• Love
Reactions: Sans and Suicidebydeath
FML_

FML_

Jun 26, 2022
Beyond Two Souls is mine... This game is what made me suicidal in the first place but it's so so good. It just takes my mind to a different dimension everytime I boot it up. By far the best experience you can ever have playing videogames in my opinion

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath and self.destractive
wetrus

wetrus

May 1, 2022
Rocket League!!

• Love
miserableforever

miserableforever

Arcanist
Oct 23, 2020
Cyberpunk

• Love
Reactions: hungry_ghost, Suicidebydeath and self.destractive
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
umm......random killing games :ahhha:
dying light
sr 3 - whored mode/i also customized the Attrazione so i drive the shit out of that around the city. love taking it out to the airport

• Love
aeri

aeri

𑁍ˡᵒᵛᵉ ˢᵗᵃʳᵛᵉᵈ ᵖʳⁱⁿᶜᵉˢˢ
Jan 29, 2020
definitely Gris, Celeste and Omori for me!! my depression triforce games

• Love
PleaseTakeMeAway

PleaseTakeMeAway

Nothing to say anymore.
Jul 16, 2022
There's truly so many, that I can't even put them all. So I'll post my favorites among them.

Metro 2033, Last Light, Exodus - These games can be hard and frustrating due to how fast you die, but the environments, world, and story are great to me. Whenever I'm not feeling the best, I like to replay these games, they mean a lot to me. You're also alone for a lot of the time in these games, so keep that in mind.

Prototype 1, Prototype 2 - Nothing clears my mind more than murdering thousands of innocent civilians... lol.

Minecraft - Apart from the feeling of being alone, or being watched sometimes, this game distracts me a lot. If you have friends playing with you, it's a lot better, but I'm me so no friends. Still kind of fun, I like building things with concrete blocks.

Red Faction Guerrilla - Big hammer go into tiny man face and then go into big building. Fun game, the destruction keeps me distracted for a while. Maybe you'd like it.

Halo - Forge is fun. Play forge. Or find custom games. Custom games are fun too.

Deep Rock Galactic - Perfect coop game. It's quite active, so if you don't have friends, you can jump into a random lobby. The community is very great and super accepting in my experience. If you want to play alone, the enemies are toned down and you're accompanied by a robot who can revive you a few times before you fail a mission. This game is super addicting to me, and I love it.

Left 4 Dead 2 - About the same as Deep Rock Galactic. It's a fun coop game, with a somewhat active community. The mods are great, but the base game is already perfect to me. It's also kind of easy to make friends on it, too, depending on your luck. Versus is a toxic cesspool, so just stick to the other modes. Most people should welcome you, if they don't, just find another lobby. It's a coin toss sometimes.

My post is getting a little long, so here's my last game. Just don't play it alone, or you'll feel a lot worse. You ideally want at least 5 friends to actively play with you (I know, that's asking a lot for some people. I don't have that, even) so you're able to do the endgame activities, which are considered the best part of the game.

Destiny 2 - If you don't have the DLC, or friends, you're locked out of a lot. Of course, there's LFGs to temporarily replace the no friends thing, but I haven't had the best experiences with it. It's a neat little game, but playing it alone triggers some crippling loneliness and you start asking yourself why even bother playing. Just keep all that in mind. Otherwise, it's a fun game to sit down and play with your buddies.

• Love
LifeIsRekt

LifeIsRekt

We are all born to suffer
Jul 7, 2022
Factorio, Satisfactory, Cities Skylines, Captain of Industry. There's nothing that makes me forget life's bs like some mind numbing logistics management.

• Love
Reactions: Lostandlooking, narval, Suicidebydeath and 1 other person
FatalSystemError591

FatalSystemError591

{He/They}
Oct 12, 2020
I play peaceful games like Animal Crossing when it gets really bad. Conflict can be a trigger for me with my PTSD due to past abuse so I need happier things to keep me afloat.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: akana, Ethereal Knight, Panna and 3 others
ooglah

ooglah

Jun 17, 2022
Old school RuneScape takes me back to a simpler time in my life

• Love
Reactions: Sans, GlassAlwaysEmpty, Suicidebydeath and 2 others
Vy0kxZen

Vy0kxZen

Mar 1, 2022
I bounce between league of legends because it gives me something else to focus all of my energy on but if i wanted to play something simple and not need to think at all then cod zombies is always fun for me

• Love
Reactions: Suicidebydeath
chyme

chyme

churning, churning
Jun 5, 2022
LSD Dream Emulator. I get overwhelmed easily, it helps me calm down.
It feels like "home" in a way I can't explain.

• Love
Reactions: ncmxm
Shepherd's boy

Shepherd's boy

I will go with you
May 19, 2022
Everlasting summer:) But honestly it makes me more depressed.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Panna
Hollowmon

Hollowmon

Sad Girl
Jul 4, 2022
Borderlands 3 is my go to at the moment. Very easy to turn my brain off and spend hours with the huge amount of content. I've been playing each borderlands as they come out pretty much having the series as an escape for my whole life so the characters and aetting are comforting as well ^-^

L I F E T O L O S E

L I F E T O L O S E

only you can stop the evil
Sep 18, 2020
Postal or Manhunt

I like the perspectives and goals of these games

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: whatevs, magikalangelmimi and chyme
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
Pikmin 2, I adore running through it ensuring none if them die as we scrounge about for treasure. The ost is peaceful and its beastiary and treasure corner is so creative and comfy to read.
One of my favorites is the "fleeting art form", its description is pretty comfy.
"Some works of fine art are timeless, while others are fleeting. Once lit, this sculpted pillar of wax will burn with glory for a short time before flaming out. The purpose of this piece of art is to help us all envision our final moment of flaming glory."

Last edited:
magikalangelmimi

magikalangelmimi

˘⌣˘♡
Jul 5, 2022
i play a LOT of dead by daylight and sims, those games make me feel happier because i enjoy them so much (:
i like playing rhythm games too like project diva or uhhh the love live game on ps4
big fan of any game tho but i just play those first main two often

Reactions: akana
LifeHasNoOptIn

LifeHasNoOptIn

Worst Life Ever
Mar 31, 2022
Mostly War Thunder and Rimworld at the moment, but Civ is also a great timesink to take my mind off things. There is a new game out called "Stray" that I have watched a little on Twitch which seems cool where you play as a stray cat. 😺

Reactions: Sans
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Plok, Buster Busts Loose, Aladdin (SNES), Mickey Mania, Parodius, Turtles in time, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Country, Ardy Lightfoot, Fievel goes west, Illusion of time, Terranigma, Secret of mana, Yoshis Island, F-Zero, Castle of Illusion, Quackshot (Megadrive) Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Ocarina of time (N64)

• Love
Reactions: Sans and Panna
Panna

Panna

Enlightened
Aug 31, 2020
Plok, Buster Busts Loose, Aladdin (SNES), Mickey Mania, Parodius, Turtles in time, Arkanoid, Donkey Kong Country, Ardy Lightfoot, Fievel goes west, Illusion of time, Terranigma, Secret of mana, Yoshis Island, F-Zero, Castle of Illusion, Quackshot (Megadrive) Mario 64, Banjo Kazooie, Ocarina of time (N64)
Thats pretty neat you're a plok fan too, lots of those are nostalgic for me as well like banjo, donkey kong country and ocarina of time, but ive never met anyone else who was a plok fan lol.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Mr2005
whatevs

whatevs

Mining for copium in the weirdest places.
Jan 15, 2022
Postal or Manhunt

By the time I got my hands on Manhunt I seemingly had lost the ability to enjoy stealth/assessination games but Tenchu had similarities IMO, a game that I actually mastered by the end. All those creative ways to kill were concerningly satisfying.

The snuff movie theme of Manhunt is definitely quite fascinating for all the wrong reasons. It makes sense to me that they exist.

Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Thats pretty neat you're a plok fan too, lots of those are nostalgic for me as well like banjo, donkey kong country and ocarina of time, but ive never met anyone else who was a plok fan lol.
It's such a jolly world he inhabits, I love it
Postal or Manhunt

I mean according to people/the world/whatever you want to call it this is fine and nothing to worry about at all. Are they correct?

Last edited:
L I F E T O L O S E

L I F E T O L O S E

only you can stop the evil
Sep 18, 2020
It's such a jolly world he inhabits, I love it

I mean according to people/the world/whatever you want to call it this is fine and nothing to worry about at all. Are they correct?
yep

By the time I got my hands on Manhunt I seemingly had lost the ability to enjoy stealth/assessination games but Tenchu had similarities IMO, a game that I actually mastered by the end. All those creative ways to kill were concerningly satisfying.

The snuff movie theme of Manhunt is definitely quite fascinating for all the wrong reasons. It makes sense to me that they exist.
that's why i love .Is literally a snuff exploitation
movie game.

StrangePossum

StrangePossum

Dec 22, 2021
I don't play many video games honestly, but I started playing Hades recently because a friend recommended it, and for some reason it gave me this amazing sense of euphoria for the first week of playing it. I don't think I've ever experienced anything like that with a video game. I don't know if it was just that the gameplay really fun or that the story/art/voice acting/characters are all great or some combination of those, but it was legitimately the happiest I've felt in months. Pretty strange experience honestly. Unfortunately that kind of euphoria doesn't last forever, so now I just get a normal amount of enjoyment from playing it. Amazing game though, I would recommend it to anyone.

• Love
Reactions: Panna
AphidAttraction

AphidAttraction

Jul 21, 2022
Devil May Cry 3 and 5 have been my go to games for that as of late. Something about hacking and slashing through demons makes me feel better