• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
Chopin revolutionized Etudes. Pre-Chopin Etudes are basically just small practice pieces to learn new fingering methods or to perfect certain playstyles and mechanics on the piano. Chopin's Etudes are also used for that, but they are much more than simple practice pieces.

A quote from Leopold Godoswky summarizes:
"...as tone pieces in etude form are generally recognized as a peak artistic achievement in the field of mechanically and technically valuable, as well as spiritually and content important piano literature ... and retain their eternal significance."
Chopin wrote 27 Etudes in his lifetime. 12 Etudes op. 10 (first released in 1833), 12 Etudes op. 25 (first released 1837) and 3 more Etudes "Etudes de perfectionement pour le piano", first released in 1840. Franz Lizst was actually one of the first pianists to publicly perform Chopin's Etudes. Also, famous composers like Alkan, Debussy, Skrjabin and Rachmaninov used Frederics Etudes to orient their own compositions.
I played (or at least tried to play) many of Chopins famous Etudes. But my favorites by far are:
Op. 25 Nr. 12 in C minor - "Ocean"

This is my one of my all-time favorites. The parted, parallel running accords in both hands aren't that hard to play. I'd even dare to say, that it's one of the easier Etudes Chopin wrote. I just can't wrap my head around the pure and beautiful story this Etude tells. The large, storming and horrifying waves of an angry ocean going up and down over and over again scare you at first, but after calming down you realize how unbelievably beautiful those waves are in reality.

Op. 10 Nr. 2 in A minor - "Chromatic"

The Chromatic Etude is rather unknown. I haven't heard many people talking about this one. It might sound easy to somebody who doesn't play the piano themselves. But after trying to play it for yourself the first time, you quickly realize what a monstrosity this Etude actually is. This Etude trains your two weak fingers, your ring and pinky finger. The chromatic scales go up and down and up and down without any pause throughout the entire piece. It's like your fingers are running up and down a hill. I would say that this is definitely one of the hardest Etudes Chopin wrote. I personally haven't finished this piece yet, I'm not skilled enough yet.

What are your favorite Etudes from Chopin?

I quickly want to talk about something else, though. The two Etudes I shared with you in this post we're both performed by the legendary Maurizio Pollini. Pollini sadly passed away on the 23rd of March 2024, so just 2 days ago. His absolute pristine performances and plays have for ever made their way into the history of classical music. His legacy will live on for many many decades to come. It's sad to see a personality like him go. The world has lost another pair of ten godly fingers.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I think a lot of his ideas were ahead of their time.
Opus 25 No 2 is a bit like Flight of the Bumblebee except was written about 70 years earlier.
And Opus 25 No 9 reminds me a bit of 20th century ragtime.
Opus 10 No 12 is pretty much heavy metal. The list goes on.

Reactions: sserafim
GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
Opus 10 No 12 is pretty much heavy metal.
The Revolutionary Etude has a lot of background story. It was written in circa 1831. Chopin wrote this piece using the emotions he felt while Poland failed to fight against Russia. Luckily he was living in Paris during that time. It's really sad, to be honest. Chopin was very proud of his Polish nationality, so seeing his country fail like this must have been devastating.

Reactions: sserafim
GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
Hahaha, that's a cute video. Freddy himself would've probably knocked the kitty off the piano and then continue playing. He looks so grim in the photos there are of him, I imagine he wouldn't like cute, soft companions meowing while composing another masterpiece.

• Wow
Reactions: Pluto
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
I don't know if it's true, but I heard someone claim that the Funeral March was written after the death of George Sand's dog.

Namarupa

Namarupa

Student
Jan 24, 2024
This particular one is very dear to me. I am yet to encounter a pianist as effortlessly expressive as Herr. Richter.

GTNHisLOVE

GTNHisLOVE

Lowlife Pianist
Mar 10, 2024
I don't know if it's true, but I heard someone claim that the Funeral March was written after the death of George Sand's dog.
Chopin was living at George Sand's residence while he composed his famous Funeral March. I never heard about that story, to be honest. It would be kind of heart warming if it were true though :)
This particular one is very dear to me. I am yet to encounter a pianist as effortlessly expressive as Herr. Richter.
That entrance alone sent shivers down my spine!

• Hugs