10. Hellsing
Cyberpunk and Dystopian are my favourite genres

what's yours favourite anime?

Reactions: Mendex, Chimera Crow, Deleted member 17331 and 7 others
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Anything by Satoshi Kon. Perfect blue, Millennium actress, Paranoia agent and Paprika

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Chimera Crow, Deleted member 17331, FinalDestination and 5 others
ParamitePie

ParamitePie

Experienced
Oct 11, 2018
Top Ten (not in order):
1. Monster (Not my favourite psychological series, but I watched all 74 episodes in a marathon with someone and we never got bored.)
2. Patlabor 2: The Movie (I love Patlabor. This is Patlabor at its best.)
3. Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (I like Gundam. This is best Gundam.)
4. Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku (One of the NGE-era deconstruction series, things get dark quickly. I like that.)
5. Kino no Tabi (I always loved the sort of storytelling presented in Kino no Tabi.)
6. Ayakashi (I love horror and Japanese mythology, so it stands to reason I'd love it.)
7. Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu (Best space opera series, hands down.)
8. Maison Ikkoku (First saw it as a university student and hit right home.)
9. FLCL (Like NGE, I watched it at the right time, and it fares better with age.)
10. Mousou Dairinin (Probably my favourite psychological anime.)
Special mentions:
11. NieA_7 (It's just an amusing series.)
12. Gundam Thunderbolt (Best mech OVA of the past two decades.)
13. Gundam: Origin (Restored my hope in Gundam as an IP.)
14. Aria (Never fails to lift my mood.)
15. Battle Programmer Shirase (Never fails to make me laugh.)

• Love
Reactions: Mendex, Chimera Crow, Deleted member 17331 and 2 others
M

Miss clefable

Enlightened
Aug 23, 2018
Texhnolyze if you know this anime you are special to me

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Mendex, Chimera Crow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 6 others
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I used to write answers for this kind of question on Quora. Thanks for making me laugh for a few minutes at the irony.

Well, in no particular order, and including movies and manga for diversity, here we go:
  1. The Tatami Galaxy - The most trippy 12 episodes I have ever seen, compounded in awesomeness by the way the fantastic melds with the mundane. Also, the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.
  2. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - Makes scenes of people playing a musical instrument dynamic. Nanairo Symphony is the only song from an anime I've sought out and listened to by itself, like other music.
  3. Pokémon Origins - I grew up with the Pokémon games, so this was a nostalgic experience.
  4. Gunnm Battle Angel Alita - Awesome 90s manga with an awesome 90s name for Western distribution. The action in this leaps off the page. I don't think I've seen action that well paced in movies - and this is a static medium.
  5. Ane Naru Mono - Best version of Lovecraft ever. A great contrast between cosmic and personal loneliness, and how that affects the reaction someone would have to a Great Old One. The manga also has amazing art style and a very good sense of humor (coming from being self aware).
  6. 5 Centimeters per Second - This was my first exposure to any movie ODing on visual majesty. It probably has more lens flares than JJ Abrams' entire filmography. And it looks beautiful.
  7. Paprika - Again, visually impressed me enough to make me look at Satoshi Kon's other work. And while I loved them all (especially Millenium Actress), Paprika still remain my favorite for the sheer amount of visual creativity.
Wow, this is dangerously close to my Quora answers. i haven't written like this in ages.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mendex, Deleted member 17331, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Gainax

Gainax

Experienced
Oct 8, 2018
I don't know if you're open to manga,but Samurai X is a meh chanbara/samurai one.Lone Wolf & Cub,Vagabond,Path of the Assassin,Samurai Executioner,Legend of Kamui all eat Kenshin's lunch effortlessly.

the series is cool in general, specially the saito vs kenshin stuff and shishio makoto, but the ovas are brilliant

i you like samurai stuff watch these
  • shigurui
  • samurai champloo

Reactions: Chimera Crow, Lunar, lv-gras and 1 other person
mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018
My favorite anime movie.

Reactions: Lunar, lv-gras and agreement
mattwitt

mattwitt

# 978
Jun 28, 2018
This is a good one !

Reactions: Lunar and lv-gras
tothemetalsickness

tothemetalsickness

World of Warcraft gamer
Oct 4, 2018
Sailor Moon and Your Name

Reactions: throwaway777 and lv-gras
Roulette

Roulette

???
Aug 31, 2018
Monster
Assassination Classroom
English dub of Ghost Stories is great

• Hugs
Reactions: Chimera Crow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Dartz and 2 others
Lunar

Lunar

Student
Aug 14, 2018
Not necessarily favourites, just stuff I used to like a lot. I say used to because I don't know whether I would anymore since my enjoyment level of things isn't like it once was. Sometimes this stuff is just a reminder of before my anhedonia got to the level it is now.

Anyhow, no particular order and off the top of my head -

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze. I grouped them together because of sharing staff.
The Tatami Galaxy (I haven't really seen anything I haven't liked from Yuasa though tbh. His style alone is visually interesting).
Princess Tutu
Rose of Versailles (Osamu Dezaki is another excellent director imo)
WMT (World Masterpiece Theatre) series - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
Mushishi
Seirei no Morbito and The Twelve Kingdoms I found likeable for more fantasy orientated stuff.
Kaiji

Oyasumi Punpun (Goodnight Punpun) and generally other Asano works are up there for me when it comes to manga.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Mendex, Chimera Crow, Deleted member 17331 and 5 others
Iwant2sleepforever

Iwant2sleepforever

Experienced
Sep 8, 2018
I like dragon ball, I watched some random dragon ball super episodes on YouTube before even though I really liked it I don't have the energy to watch a whole new series. I like watching it if I se it on YouTube though.

I also really liked parasite, I think I watched the first episode one day and binge watched the rest of the series the next day, which really says something cause I'm not a big binge watcher at all.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
throwaway777

throwaway777

一人、部屋で、独り。
Oct 3, 2018
noragami ... orange … ao haru ride ... Tokyo ghul
<333

• Love
Reactions: Chimera Crow, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Roulette and 1 other person
O

Okami

Student
Mar 16, 2018
My favorites in order:

1. Kanon 2006
2. Little Busters
3. Toradora
4. Anohana
5. Evangelion
6. The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
7. Madoka Magica
8. Chuunibyou
9. White Album 2
10. Myself; Yourself

• Love
Reactions: Chimera Crow, BabyYoda, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
M

Miss clefable

Enlightened
Aug 23, 2018
Not necessarily favourites, just stuff I used to like a lot. I say used to because I don't know whether I would anymore since my enjoyment level of things isn't like it once was. Sometimes this stuff is just a reminder of before my anhedonia got to the level it is now.

Anyhow, no particular order and off the top of my head -

Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Monster
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze. I grouped them together because of sharing staff.
The Tatami Galaxy (I haven't really seen anything I haven't liked from Yuasa though tbh. His style alone is visually interesting).
Princess Tutu
Rose of Versailles (Osamu Dezaki is another excellent director imo)
WMT (World Masterpiece Theatre) series - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Masterpiece_Theater
Mushishi
Seirei no Morbito and The Twelve Kingdoms I found likeable for more fantasy orientated stuff.
Kaiji

Oyasumi Punpun (Goodnight Punpun) and generally other Asano works are up there for me when it comes to manga.
<3

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and Lunar
C

crova

Making death amazing journey
Oct 7, 2018
Im surprised no one mentioned Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki movies yet..?
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle in the Sky

You cannot leave this place before you watch two first!

• Love
Reactions: crybaby, Skathon, disabledandhopeless and 4 others
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Im surprised no one mentioned Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki movies yet..?
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Porco Rosso
Howl's Moving Castle
Castle in the Sky

You cannot leave this place before you watch two first!

Nowadays Miyazaki's movies just make me sad. They become reminders of a time that went away too fast due to forces out of my control.

• Hugs
Reactions: crybaby, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and lv-gras
torturedbylife

torturedbylife

Enemy of the world
May 2, 2020
1. Yu Yu Hakusho(the anime of my childhood that I'll always love)
2. Bungou Stray Dogs(fantastic anime with great action and interesting characters:like the relatable Dazai)
3. Hetalia(really funny and cute historical anime, I used to be really addicted to it and used to search fan art and headcanons days and nights)
4. Black Butler(I love its combination of supernatural, detective and dark themes)
5. Trigun(another masterpiece)
6. Cowboy Bebop(one of the most interesting out there. Though I still have few episodes left from it)
7. Hellsing(Alucard makes the whole show)
8. Trinity Blood(I don't know why but something about this anime really attracts me. The plot is great too)

I'm planning to watch Texhnolyze after I finish Cowboy Bebop, hopefully I'll like it :).

Reactions: Chimera Crow and StillWaiting
Pryras

Pryras

Last hope
Feb 11, 2020
Anything by Satoshi Kon. Perfect blue, Millennium actress, Paranoia agent and Paprika

Omg I jumped at this answer. I have the perfect blue storyboards under my bed and the millennial actress DVD sitting on my shelf.
Perfect Blue, Monster, and Rainbow: Nisha Rokubō no Shichinin were my favorites.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chimera Crow, Mr2005 and RM5998
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Omg I jumped at this answer. I have the perfect blue storyboards under my bed and the millennial actress DVD sitting on my shelf.
I fell in love at the scene in Paprika where
the bannister dissolves and reveals that Atsuko is about to fall off the balcony.
Also, on a different note, even though I find Miyazaki movies mostly passable, I loved Kiki's Delivery Service... it really hit home, comparing it to my time spent interning as a CS student and falling out of love with CS.

• Hugs
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Corpsegrinder

Corpsegrinder

Weeb Trash Supreme
May 6, 2020
for some of my favorite series I got (not in order beyond monogatari and beyond the boundary)
Monogatari series
Beyond The Boundary
Space Dandy
Gabriel Dropout
Konosuba

for movies all I've seen are A Silent Voice and I Want to Eat Your Pancreas (not as metal as it sounds from the title, actually pretty sad)
I used to write answers for this kind of question on Quora. Thanks for making me laugh for a few minutes at the irony.

Well, in no particular order, and including movies and manga for diversity, here we go:
  1. The Tatami Galaxy - The most trippy 12 episodes I have ever seen, compounded in awesomeness by the way the fantastic melds with the mundane. Also, the most hilarious thing I've ever seen.
  2. Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso - Makes scenes of people playing a musical instrument dynamic. Nanairo Symphony is the only song from an anime I've sought out and listened to by itself, like other music.
  3. Pokémon Origins - I grew up with the Pokémon games, so this was a nostalgic experience.
  4. Gunnm Battle Angel Alita - Awesome 90s manga with an awesome 90s name for Western distribution. The action in this leaps off the page. I don't think I've seen action that well paced in movies - and this is a static medium.
  5. Ane Naru Mono - Best version of Lovecraft ever. A great contrast between cosmic and personal loneliness, and how that affects the reaction someone would have to a Great Old One. The manga also has amazing art style and a very good sense of humor (coming from being self aware).
  6. 5 Centimeters per Second - This was my first exposure to any movie ODing on visual majesty. It probably has more lens flares than JJ Abrams' entire filmography. And it looks beautiful.
  7. Paprika - Again, visually impressed me enough to make me look at Satoshi Kon's other work. And while I loved them all (especially Millenium Actress), Paprika still remain my favorite for the sheer amount of visual creativity.
Wow, this is dangerously close to my Quora answers. i haven't written like this in ages.
I like lovecraftian horror i definitely have to check out ane naru mono

Last edited:
Reactions: RM5998
disabledandhopeless

disabledandhopeless

Enlightened
Mar 1, 2020
Fairytail is the only anime I completed (not including movies) :hug:

Last edited:
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
Evangelion and Attack on Titan are my two favorites. Both are masterpieces in my opinion.

Your Lie in April gets an honorable mention, it's an important one for me.

SpareWheel

SpareWheel

I go on holidays by mistake
May 4, 2020
Ni No Kuni. Studio Ghibli(?) I think.

The only one I know, and I only watched that after playing the games. I've played One Piece games but never got round to the animes of them. Is My neighbour Totoro an amine, if so I enjoyed that.

RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I like lovecraftian horror i definitely have to check out ane naru mono
Warning - it goes all in on the eroge. It's based on an R-rated series by the same author with the same characters. But thematically, I find the things it is talking about to be an interesting counterpoint to Lovecraft's take on cosmic loneliness. It doesn't have much horror in it, but it does have an interesting understanding of isolation.

Corpsegrinder

Corpsegrinder

Weeb Trash Supreme
May 6, 2020
Warning - it goes all in on the eroge. It's based on an R-rated series by the same author with the same characters. But thematically, I find the things it is talking about to be an interesting counterpoint to Lovecraft's take on cosmic loneliness. It doesn't have much horror in it, but it does have an interesting understanding of isolation.
the eroge is a plus

Reactions: RM5998