kwho

kwho

Student
Apr 29, 2023
There are quite a few kind of generally accepted, shallow, retarded and/or naive "universal truths" that are incredibly harmful and damaging, especially since we kind of almost absorb them with mothers milk and they condition our attitudes and how we view life.

My top 2 are these:

"What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Can't really blame Nietzsche for that one since the dude went mad, inevitably; but the way this expression has spread and circulated since is incredible. No normal person over the age of 35 can be decieved by it, but by that time, the damage is long done. The problem is, it's not really generally known who the author of this expression is. At least then it would be like - oh, this is opinion of the guy who lost his mind? Better take it with a large grain of salt!

"People need people"

Urgh, i've mellowed down a lot, but this one still makes my skin crawl. NO, people do not NEED people! At least not all people. It is perfectly possible to like, love and enjoy people without needing them.
I can't stand also how this axiom drags Love and affection into the realm of reflexes and urges. Yes, sure, a lot/most? people are probably wired to only thrive in community with others, but is it really the ideal or, may be, rather a condition people affected by it should strive to outgrow?
That social need also isn't love. Love is something that comes from the realm of freedom with no strings attached.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
The "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is one of the worst toxic positivity statements to me, it's certainly harmful and very invalidating, the reality is that what doesn't kill you just leads to more unnecessary suffering.

kwho

kwho

Student
Apr 29, 2023
The "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is one of the worst toxic positivity statements to me, it's certainly harmful and very invalidating, the reality is that what doesn't kill you just leads to more unnecessary suffering.
Yes, exactly that, it's toxic. Instead of being healthily cautious and managing their resources a bit more prudently, people attempt things way over their capacity and break down way before they would have otherwise.