• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

D

davidhayter

killedbypsiquiatry
Jan 4, 2023
I would like to know your experiences with this medication and if anyone was left with any sequelae from its use. In my case, I was left with anhedonia.

Calicocat

Calicocat

Feb 12, 2023
I don't have experiences of using it, but i have seen it in use plenty, and the main side effect apart from the normal anti-psychotic workings, is gain of weight. It can be very severe depending on the person, increase risk for other dissease, mainly cardiovascular risk. The main, and most scary, sequelae that is usually related to anti-psychotics is Tardive dyskinesia, which in few words make you lose the control on a few repetitive movements and it sucks. But, RIsperidone is one of the anti-psychotics less prone to give a patient that, due to being way waay safer, it is a much newer and more modern drug than say, haloperidol, and chlorpromazine.
As for Anhedonia, it is not a very common side effect from what i know, it depends on what you were using the drug for really, but usually when the medication is taken out, the symptoms go away. If you're left with it after making use of the drug, maybe it wasn't effective at all at treating your base condition, which in turn got worse and you developed that as a symptom, not a side effect. But that's just my guess.

I'm no psychatrist, so no idea!..

D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
No sequela as far as I know, but it was awful while under it. Zero positive effect, and almost every side-effect described in the books. It was long ago, but as I remember it, the most crippling side-effects for me were heavy sleepiness and dizziness, shaking and sexual dysfunction (sore and difficult erection + impotence). I was in highschool, and at some point it was so bad that I had a complete breakdown. I put myself in fetal position, heavily shaking and unresponsive, I couldn't take it anymore. I'm very surprised this drug helps anyone at all.

Along with Quetiapine, it was definitely the worst drug I had. I heard about tardive dyskinesia and digestion issues that sometimes subsist after the treatment is stopped. Never heard of anhedonia though, and while it's not impossible that Risperidone induced that to you (given how heavy it is), I think @Calicocat's hypothesis is very reasonable.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: davidhayter
D

davidhayter

killedbypsiquiatry
Jan 4, 2023
No sequela as far as I know, but it was awful while under it. Zero positive effect, and almost every side-effect described in the books. It was long ago, but as I remember it, the most crippling side-effects for me were heavy sleepiness and dizziness, shaking and sexual dysfunction (sore and difficult erection + impotence). I was in highschool, and at some point it was so bad that I had a complete breakdown. I put myself in fetal position, heavily shaking and unresponsive, I couldn't take it anymore. I'm very surprised this drug helps anyone at all.

Along with Quetiapine, it was definitely the worst drug I had. I heard about tardive dyskinesia and digestion issues that sometimes subsist after the treatment is stopped. Never heard of anhedonia though, and while it's not impossible that Risperidone induced that to you (given how heavy it is), I think @Calicocat's hypothesis is very
Hi, may i pm you?

succ09

succ09

Mar 14, 2023

Along with Quetiapine, it was definitely the worst drug I had. I heard about tardive dyskinesia and digestion issues that sometimes subsist after the treatment is stopped. Never heard of anhedonia though, and while it's not impossible that Risperidone induced that to you (given how heavy it is), I think @Calicocat's hypothesis is very reasonable.
Holy shit. I'm using risperidon. I'm experiencing symptoms as you describe. Maybe i should tell about those for my social worker ?

D

d3c96524be95

Student
Jan 24, 2023
Holy shit. I'm using risperidon. I'm experiencing symptoms as you describe. Maybe i should tell about those for my social worker ?
I think the worst that could happen from talking about side-effects is being denied. Sometimes, they blame it on you or minimize how invalidating it is. But they may as well understand and help you find alternatives (which has happened to me a few times). So I'd say you don't have much to lose by doing it, but maybe it would be more efficient to talk directly to whoever is prescribing it to you? Not sure how it works for you.

• Informative
Reactions: succ09