• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

L

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
Look around wherever you are and contemplate whatever people or organisms or objects are around you. Interact with them in some way for a bit. It seems pretty common sense that these beings and things exist independently of our minds, that is, a strict solipsistic view isn't correct.

But at the same time we can also say that things exist as a function of our brain's interpretation of the physical signals our sense organs perceive.

As far as I can see the Universe exists both outside of our mind and only as part of it at the same time.

CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Disabled. Hard talk, don't argue, make fun, etc
Sep 17, 2022
This prdx exist same no exist tell how math, universe all contain this no separate, say X exist this time deteriorate X = not X prdx

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's like that saying: "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" It's a very arrogant assertion isn't it that living things- especially humans need to bear witness for things to be real?!!

Still- we can only understand the world through our own perception of it. Like you say- the world clearly continues to exist with or without us but our own version of the world can't.

What I find even stranger is this idea of mental illness. At what stage does my perception of my life become 'wrong' or 'ill' or 'distorted'? Enough to say that I am no longer perceiving the world in a 'normal' or 'healthy' way? I'm surely still getting the same or similar visual, auditory and olfactory cues as everyone else but I am interpreting them differently. Why is my reality any less real or true than someone elses?

Surely- it's preference at the end of the day. Is it compulsory to like things? I suppose it isn't normal to start disliking or not caring about things you used to like. Still- it's not impossible. People's tastes change. Sorry- I'm on one of my regular- is depression an illness? Rants! I know that's going off topic... Sorry!