SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
What constitutes as an 'evil' person to you? Can a person be truly evil? Inherently evil?

What about good?

It probably comes down to what you think about morals. Being evil by definition is being 'profoundly immoral' but what does it mean to be profoundly immoral?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
All I know is that I'm evil, inherently so even. I think that it's true that many people can be redeemed but it's also true that some can't and I fall into the latter category.

When it comes to good or bad, being ignorant or burnt out is not an excuse to brush aside evil deeds. Intent or sentiment is also a weak excuse since some of the evilest deeds in all of human history were committed with noble intentions. No matter how unevil I seem it doesn't change the evil inside of me and it doesn't change that the only reasons I don't do more bad things is just because I'm lazy and cowardly, which are also traits that often align with evil.

SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
All I know is that I'm evil, inherently so even. I think that it's true that many people can be redeemed but it's also true that some can't and I fall into the latter category.

When it comes to good or bad, being ignorant or burnt out is not an excuse to brush aside evil deeds. Intent or sentiment is also a weak excuse since some of the evilest deeds in all of human history were committed with noble intentions. No matter how unevil I seem it doesn't change the evil inside of me and it doesn't change that the only reasons I don't do more bad things is just because I'm lazy and cowardly, which are also traits that often align with evil.
I'm interested in what you're saying. Why do you think that you are inherently evil? I've seen this notion here said a few times. I think the topic can easily come down to a free will discussion so I will say this, I do believe that we have free will.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm interested in what you're saying. Why do you think that you are inherently evil? I've seen this notion here said a few times. I think the topic can easily come down to a free will discussion so I will say this, I do believe that we have free will.
I'm not really sure how free will comes into play because if I were to actually exercise more of it I'm sure I'd cause even more harm. I say I'm inherently evil because no matter what I do I end up causing people to suffer and whether or not I enjoy it (which I sometimes do) and whether or not I meant to do it, that suffering that I've caused would be enough to define me as evil.

SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
I'm not really sure how free will comes into play because if I were to actually exercise more of it I'm sure I'd cause even more harm. I say I'm inherently evil because no matter what I do I end up causing people to suffer and whether or not I enjoy it (which I sometimes do) and whether or not I meant to do it, that suffering that I've caused would be enough to define me as evil.
Are you remorseful of these instances where you cause people to suffer? Is it different if you enjoy it and if you don't?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Are you remorseful of these instances where you cause people to suffer? Is it different if you enjoy it and if you don't?
I often feel intense guilt and regret for what I've done but even then it doesn't change what I did, and it shouldn't. I can't just forgive myself so easily nor should I be forgiven easily just because I'm too lazy and incompetent to do something that happens to lead to a more severe yet deserved punishment for me.

SmallKoy

SmallKoy

Aficionado
Jan 18, 2024
I often feel intense guilt and regret for what I've done but even then it doesn't change what I did, and it shouldn't. I can't just forgive myself so easily nor should I be forgiven easily just because I'm too lazy and incompetent to do something that happens to lead to a more severe yet deserved punishment for me.
You feel intense guilt and even call yourself evil for these acts; I think that being evil might be more aligned with committing malicious acts with no remorse. What do you think? There are a lot of people like you who feel extremely guilty for acts they have committed, so do you think they are evil as well?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
You feel intense guilt and even call yourself evil for these acts; I think that being evil might be more aligned with committing malicious acts with no remorse. What do you think? There are a lot of people like you who feel extremely guilty for acts they have committed, so do you think they are evil as well?
I'm not a good judge of other people, only myself. When other people say they are evil I don't see what authority I have to tell them they aren't. The amount of remorse one feels is also not enough to excuse the consequences of evil actions. No amount of saying "I'm Sorry" can undo them or make things right. I suppose that's up to the victims themselves but I doubt they'd go as far as to say that no evil occurred.

Also, at least speaking for myself, even if I feel guilt, shame, and remorse, how much do I really mean it? Surely if I really meant it these things would stop happening but the fact that they repeatedly do just means that my continued existence alone is enough to cause more damage to the world. I'm not even certain I can really genuinely feel sorry because a good apology is supposed to include the promise that whatever happened shall not happen again and because I cannot guarantee that, then it would be worthless to claim my remorse is genuine.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I didn't believe that people could be inherently evil until I saw this shit. What a horrible piece if shit person.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
small incursions may seem evil, while we possess the sense to consider someone like Hitler to be evil; those of the former are often not conflated with the latter, and yet there are those who don't believe this to be the case, perhaps vying for his innocence or aligning with his aims. are they evil by virtue of their belief, even when they have not committed any material act which runs counter to normative values? a case of the intolerant within a tolerant society.
there seems to be a schism between rational belief in evil and a belief which uses rationality as a mouthpiece to emotion; the sort of guttural anathema one feels when they think of a child-murderer; and yet, despite the definition of 'evil' being in the same vein, one might not hold the same feelings towards someone like Hitler, though they may recognize that Hitler is thought of as evil

the concept of evil serves purely as a practical, contractual agreement. currently philosophy has not evolved to be able to articulate formally how moral assignment functions

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SmallKoy
yellowjester

yellowjester

Experienced
Jun 2, 2024
There is a deep psychological need for the belief in evil (especially among victims of violence) and I want to be redpectful of that, so I won't say what my true opinions on the subject are.
I didn't believe that people could be inherently evil until I saw this shit. What a horrible piece if shit person.

Uuh, I think you posted the wrong link.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmallKoy and jar-baby
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
There is a deep psychological need for the belief in evil (especially among victims of violence) and I want to be redpectful of that, so I won't say what my true opinions on the subject are.

Uuh, I think you posted the wrong link.
No, that's the right link.

KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Paragon
Apr 15, 2024
I believe we are all inherently not good.

Romans 3:23-24: "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:"

But not necessarily all maniacally evil.

Reactions: divinemistress36
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think we can all agree that certain actions seem evil. Do you mean- are some people destined to commit evil acts? There's no way of them or anyone else preventing it? It's not their 'fault'- they're not responsible?

I think certain factors can make someone far more likely to commit evil acts. Maybe they have very volatile or violent genes. Maybe they have been a victim to or witnessed abuse.

But still- I'm not a fan of shirking all responsibility. A lot of the things we do- good or bad- we know to be good or bad. People generally know if they're breaking the law for instance which is a big clue they're doing something bad! Ultimately, we still make the final choice. I simply don't believe that the majority of people have no control over how they behave.