I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
Does anybody know if it's easy to move around the EU if you have citizenship. But would also rely on disability (social assistance/money from the government ) I am from Canada but have German citizenship. How easy is it to move to countries and use healthcare.
Are there not any members from EU? At the moment.

Last edited:
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
If you move from Germany to another EU-country you have the right to receive medical care in the new country.

It is unclear from your post whether you intend to move around for short or long periods of time, and so I cannot give you very precise information.

But most EU-countries require that you register as a resident after 1 year. As a resident you then get access to health care in the same way as everyone else.

If you only plan to stay for less than a year, then different conditions apply. The medical care you are entitled to depends on what kind of medical insurance you have in your country of origin, i.e. Germany.

As far as disability is concerned you would potentially receive disability from Germany, not the new EU-country if you are not a resident in the new country. I say "potentially" because you would have to ask your health insurance provider if they allow you to cash in disability from Germany while living in another country.

If you become a resident in the new EU-country you can apply for disability there.

As far as moving around is concerned, you are free to move to whichever country you want. The duration of your stay in one country determines whether you must notify the authorities in your country of origin and apply for residenceship.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skathon and a.n.kirillov
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
If you move from Germany to another EU-country you have the right to receive medical care in the new country.

It is unclear from your post whether you intend to move around for short or long periods of time, and so I cannot give you very precise information.

But most EU-countries require that you register as a resident after 1 year. As a resident you then get access to health care in the same way as everyone else.

If you only plan to stay for less than a year, then different conditions apply. The medical care you are entitled to depends on what kind of medical insurance you have in your country of origin, i.e. Germany.

As far as disability is concerned you would potentially receive disability from Germany, not the new EU-country if you are not a resident in the new country. I say "potentially" because you would have to ask your health insurance provider if they allow you to cash in disability from Germany while living in another country.

If you become a resident in the new EU-country you can apply for disability there.
I live in Canada. I was born in Germany. I don't speak German as I was raised here.

E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
I live in Canada. I was born in Germany. I don't speak German as I was raised here.

I guess you would first have to move to Germany and get things sorted out: get an address, a social security number and a health insurance.

Once you have these three things you can talk to your health insurance company and see if you qualify for disability, despite never having lived there, and not having paid taxes there.

Reactions: IrRegularjoe
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
I guess you would first have to move to Germany and get things sorted out: get an address, a social security number and a health insurance.

Once you have these three things you can talk to your health insurance company and see if you qualify for disability, despite never having lived there, and not having paid taxes there.
Thanks for the info. These taxes are a big deal it seems.