F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
From a religious standpoint especially- suicide is often seen as wrong because it ends a life before it was supposed to end. I guess there's the whole 'life is a gift' idea and- God might feel annoyed if that gift is rejected.

Still- a premature end seems to suggest that it's necessary that we finish the game. But- why? Are there specific things we are here to do do you suppose? Specific parts we're supposed to play? Specific interactions we're supposed to have?

I used to think my 'purpose' might be to give my Mum what she always wanted- a child. But, then she died 3 years later and I didn't. So- was then my purpose to be there for my Dad? Maybe. I'm creative and to me- it's felt like my indivudual purpose but, I'm not so brilliant for it to be that important to the world! Lol.

I don't know- why keep people here into their 80's and 90's? Especially if they are suffering. What if they're in a coma? What are they achieving in that? So then- what if it's some sort of mental state we're supposed to be trying to get to?

Not that I know that much about Buddhism but the posts here do fascinate me. The idea of breaking free from the cycle of reincarnation. I'm sure people will correct me because doubtless, I'm wrong but- ego death right? Dieing before you die as I think Eckhart Tolle puts it. So- when grand masters achieve it- why don't they drop down dead? Surely- if only for a second, they've reached that state- then- they've completed the game and should be released early- never to be reincarnated again? Preferably in some impressive way like a Jedi vanishing- so the rest of us get a clear idea of what we should be doing!

What do you think though? Do people get early releases from life naturally? What about freak accidents or people narrowly missing accidents? What about poor babies that die early on? Trouble is- likelihood is a great number of them didn't want to die.

I just find it hard to believe there is a purpose or a path or predestined events for everyone. I think it's just something we try and reassure ourselves with. Therefore, asides from the whole rejection of a gift from God, I'm not sure there is such a big individual problem of a person leaving early. I really wish I was an atheist absolutely...

Reactions: Tears in Rain, TheSpookyNameGuy and thewalkingdread
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I see existence as ultimately being completely meaningless and devoid of any purpose, I believe anything related to religion is just a fictional concept invented by humans.
And if one dies now or dies later it really makes little difference at the end of the day other than dying earlier prevents all future unnecessary suffering.
Suicide could never be bad for the person who has died as they will simply cease existing and all will be forgotten about, there are no disadvantages to not existing after all, all that's bad is ultimately as a result of existence.

Reactions: myusername890, TheSpookyNameGuy and Forever Sleep
Tears in Rain

Tears in Rain

Dec 12, 2023
From a religious standpoint especially- suicide is often seen as wrong because it ends a life before it was supposed to end. I guess there's the whole 'life is a gift' idea and- God might feel annoyed if that gift is rejected.

You mention the ending of a life "before it was supposed to". Who decides when you're 'supposed to die'? Like, were babies and kids who died young 'supposed to die' when they did? I guess you could say that the only time anyone is 'supposed' to die is when they do, either naturally or via their own hand. It all seems a bit random to me.

I used to think my 'purpose' might be to give my Mum what she always wanted- a child. But, then she died 3 years later and I didn't. So- was then my purpose to be there for my Dad? Maybe. I'm creative and to me- it's felt like my indivudual purpose but, I'm not so brilliant for it to be that important to the world! Lol.
I believe your purpose in life is whatever purpose you give it yourself. Helping family, helping others, doing art, creating music, etc, are all valid purposes if that's what you enjoy doing in life.

Not that I know that much about Buddhism but the posts here do fascinate me. The idea of breaking free from the cycle of reincarnation. I'm sure people will correct me because doubtless, I'm wrong but- ego death right? Dieing before you die as I think Eckhart Tolle puts it. So- when grand masters achieve it- why don't they drop down dead? Surely- if only for a second, they've reached that state- then- they've completed the game and should be released early- never to be reincarnated again? Preferably in some impressive way like a Jedi vanishing- so the rest of us get a clear idea of what we should be doing!
Apparently the enlightened mystics go through a death and rebirth process . Ego dies - what's reborn is 100% pure consciousness/awareness. It's called non-dual awareness; they become one with their surroundings. They still obviously see themselves as a separate entity to other humans, they just no longer have a personality.
So they wouldn't drop down dead, but that would be a cool way to ctb!
They no longer have the programmed crap other humans have, but they still have bodily needs, and preferences in life. That's my take on it anyway.
(I'm with you on the Jedi thing though!)

I just find it hard to believe there is a purpose or a path or predestined events for everyone. I think it's just something we try and reassure ourselves with. Therefore, asides from the whole rejection of a gift from God, I'm not sure there is such a big individual problem of a person leaving early. I really wish I was an atheist absolutely...

Yeah, we like to think we have some kind of predestined path or whatever, but it all just seems random to me. Like I said already, what's the purpose or path for babies and kids who die young? Was it to 'teach' their parents something?

I don't think there's some God authority watching over us, who doesn't want us to 'leave early'.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep