Status
Not open for further replies.
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I want to discuss the concept of being careful about revealing your personal information on this form, because we all are at risk of being doxxed through active participation on SS.

I've had one member I was chatting with on the form delete their post, because it disclosed too much personal information which I felt could have easily resulted in their being doxxed.

Yesterday, I noticed a thread and inside the thread the member had very distinctive nail polish in a photograph of their hand holding something.

I felt that this picture could lead to somebody doxxing them. One never knows who's lurking on this site.

I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea for somebody more skilled in this area than I to develop a mega thread on how to protect oneself ftom getting doxxed.

I know of one person with certainty who got doxxed here recently and someone called the police on this member and the police showed up at this member's door.

Hopefully, this will be the last occurrence of something like this, however, I don't think it's going to be the case.

Do other members think that a sticky mega thread might help all of us to better ensure we don't release too much information and ultimately get doxxed?

If you think I'm being hypervigilant let me know, but it's happened in the past and I'm afraid it's going to happen in the future. I believe it's best to help watch over others and to try and educate everybody as best we can.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Wow
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Deleted member 13412, almost_dead and 21 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
It's like the main rule of the Internet not to give personal info.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Greenberg, NoneMoreNegative and 14 others
_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
i agree. im not 100% sure but i have read that photos can contain data like even location (GPS coordinates) on where the pic has been captured. i really dont know if this is true but i know that images can contain some other metaData at least like product model etc.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: Greenberg, fat feet, puppy9 and 7 others
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
On some devices a photo taken has embedded in it the latitude and longitude coordinates. I just found this out lately myself.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Greenberg, not4us and 8 others
E

enuff

had enuff
Sep 10, 2020
yeah, good idea. and also use a vpn to cover your tracks. or even better, get Tails

• Love
Reactions: Greenberg, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
I think hyper-vigilance is better than complacency and ignorance. The forum guidelines that everyone reads as they join SS are very explicit about this. That being said, I believe people are used to just skipping through "terms and conditions" to just accept membership. Some reminders to be careful about sharing personal information and photos could be helpful.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Greenberg, MiserableBastard1995 and 7 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
I love doing research unless somebody here feels a really strong skill set with doxxing - what I could possibly do is look into a really good article on how to protect oneself from being doxxed and then we could use this to perhaps start a mega thread.

• Love
Reactions: _Minsk, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
very distinctive nail polish
So somebody who is on SS for probably the same reasons as us, will recognize someone by the color of their nail polish and pattern and doxx them?

I know of one person with certainty who got doxxed here recently and someone called the police on this member and the police showed up at this member's door
Really???!! I'm shocked.

Personally I would worry more about potential predators finding coordinates (although from what I know these are based on the closest server etc etc) and attacking you or smth like that, than doxxing per se. You can always deny that. I don't see why someone would want to doxx someone else. Normies are busy on social media, not on SS.

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Huntfish34 and Chupacabra 44
AlreadyGone

AlreadyGone

Taking it day by day
Jan 11, 2020
I feel that as long as members do not post photos with their faces or provide personal info or any links to personal websites (like blogs, social media etc), they should be good.

Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 7 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
So somebody who is on SS for probably the same reasons as us, will recognize someone by the color of their nail polish and pattern and doxx them?

Really???!! I'm shocked.

Personally I would worry more about potential predators finding coordinates (although from what I know these are based on the closest server etc etc) and attacking you or smth like that, than doxxing per se. You can always deny that. I don't see why someone would want to doxx someone else. Normies are busy on social media, not on SS.

I'm one of those over top neurotic worrier types and hence this is why I need feedback cuz my judgment is always screwed up with stuff like this.

Thanks for your opinion.
I feel that as long as members do not post photos with their faces or provide personal info or any links to personal websites (like blogs, social media etc), they should be good.

I've lurked here for 11 months and I've always respected your level headed input, so thanks.

Reactions: AlreadyGone, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
D

Deleted member 4993

Don't post photos that you've taken if location services is * ON * on your device. It will include data
I believe thats right , correct me if ime wrong :smiling:

• Wow
Reactions: _Minsk, puppy9, AlreadyGone and 4 others
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
On my iPhone, I have location services turned off for my camera app otherwise it will tag photos and videos with your location.

Regarding the member that had the police called in them, that was not confirmed. It was only her word against someone else so we cannot be sure that it actually happened.

Also, I'm not sure how easily someone can be identified by nail polish. I know for me, I change the colour of my nail polish fairly frequently.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, _Minsk and 6 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
Well im thankful to op because ive learned a new word today.
My opinion is slightly different in that i think we could become too cynical and mistrusting.
My guess is that 99 percent of us are here because we are not enjoying life, and we dont have the desire to exploit others.
Im not saying dont be careful but predators are generally pretty stupid in their approach and easy to spot quite quickly.
I like to trust my instincts and hopefully others will do the same.
I think that being automatically mistrusting and assuming the worst is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Some people have made friends on here and its brought them comfort

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, Blueman, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 7 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
On my iPhone, I have location services turned off for my camera app otherwise it will tag photos and videos with your location.

Regarding the member that had the police called in them, that was not confirmed. It was only her word against someone else so we cannot be sure that it actually happened.

Also, I'm not sure how easily someone can be identified by nail polish. I know for me, I change the colour of my nail polish fairly frequently.
There was the other dude as well where he used his picture for his avatar, and said police came when he made his goodbye.

• Wow
  • Hmph!
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, DyingAlf, Meditation guide and 5 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
There was the other dude as well where he used his picture for his avatar, and said police came when he made his goodbye.
Do you think i should change my pic rosey as it is a picture of me?

Nail polish is a dead giveaway for a doxxer.
Its a very personal detail and in the uk, there are slightly more shades of nail polish than there are people.
Its highly recommended that you you change your nail polish colour very often, or just have one common colour for your ss snapshots.

Last edited:
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, not-2-b-the-answer and Deleted member 19654
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
the person you mention got doxxed....where the police went to their house....you mean tigress don't you?

didn't you do a post about them? has it been deleted? i remeber seeing it a few weeks ago

• Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
the person you mention got doxxed....where the police went to their house....you mean tigress don't you?

didn't you do a post about them? has it been deleted? i remeber seeing it a few weeks ago
With all due respect to her, its difficult to know what happened with the tigeress.
There were so many inconsistencies with the stories.
Apparently they played you show me yours and ill show you mine with medicine boxes, and when they fell out pablo, all the way from sunny portugal contacted the met police while sat on a deck chair wearing sunglasses and drinking a sangria.
It was probably the strangest thing ive experienced since joining ss. Fucked with my head quite a bit.

Reactions: Meditation guide, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, death137 and 3 others
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
well, for your protection yes, but then you would be depriving us of your awesomeness.

• Love
Reactions: death137, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
well, for your protection yes, but then you would be depriving us of your awesomeness.
I dont know how i feel about that comment.
On one hand you gave me a really nice compliment, and on the other hand you believe that im david brent !

• Love
Reactions: death137, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
Racon

Racon

Student
Aug 29, 2020
What if one were very lonely and wanted people to doxx them in the hopes of making a friend?
or even just to engage in conversation with a real person even if it's a scam?

Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
What if one were very lonely and wanted people to doxx them in the hopes of making a friend?
or even just to engage in conversation with a real person even if it's a scam?
Story of my life...id rather be doxxed than lonely

• Hugs
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and not-2-b-the-answer
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
I dont know how i feel about that comment.
On one hand you gave me a really nice compliment, and on the other hand you believe that im david brent !
It's ok, we're all a little David Brent once in a while.

• Hugs
Reactions: woxihuanni, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, Huntfish34 and 2 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020

Nail polish is a dead giveaway for a doxxer.
Its a very personal detail and in the uk, there are slightly more shades of nail polish than there are people.
Its highly recommended that you you change your nail polish colour very often, or just have one common colour for your ss snapshots.

Lol.

No, it was very distinctive the woman had half of her nails painted and the other half not - of course I haven't read the latest edition of Nail Polish Today magazine in over 6 months, so perhaps this is all the rage in the UK, and maybe it is not an indication that somebody could recognize her personal nail polish style.
And just in case anyone's curious I'm not referencing tigress in the OP referencing somebody else from the UK.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: death137, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 2 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
It's ok, we're all a little David Brent once in a while.
Haha.
Lol.

No, it was very distinctive the woman had half of her nails painted and the other half not - of course I haven't read the latest edition of Nail Polish Today magazine in over 6 months, so perhaps this is all the rage in the UK, and maybe it is not an indication that somebody could recognize her personal nail polish style.
And just in case anyone's curious I'm not referencing tigress in the OP scene part in my OPM referencing somebody else from the UK.
Probably just laziness lol.
I think you should be careful using your real photo as your profile pic though.
Its your choice of course but i dont think its a good idea. I do like your hairstyle though

• Love
Reactions: death137, not-2-b-the-answer, Deleted member 4993 and 3 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020

no thank God I'm more on the ball than to take anything on face value with airboy or tigress... there was somebody from the UK who got doxxed and at the risk of triangulation I won't name names hopefully this person will read this thread and chime in.

But keep the jokes coming you guys have me laughing on my end
Haha.
Its your choice of course but i dont think its a good idea.

not only did you learn the definition of doxxed today but you also Googled to learn that there are 5,323 different shades of nail polish so at least you've got that going for you now.
Haha.
Its your choice of course but i dont think its a good idea. I do like your hairstyle though

Man now you're rubbing salt in wounds how did you know I was bald.
Haha.

Never in a million years would I have expected David Letterman to be on the site

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, death137, Huntfish34 and 5 others
Nanami

Nanami

Global Mod
Nov 20, 2018
SS Rules & Info including some tips on what not to do.

My privacy is essential to me. Do you have any tips for me?

• Don't post personal information (name, address, phone, email, pictures, etc).
  • Use a unique username for every website you use.
  • Use a proxy/VPN once you are registered.
  • Tweak your preferences and privacy options to your liking here.
  • Use a secure or disposable email provider.
Privacy is very important to me. More tips?

• Learn the difference between being careful and being paranoid.
  • Avoid social media and delete your profiles.
  • Search yourself or reverse search your pictures and delete everything that comes up.
  • Don't use Google (DuckDuckGo and Startpage are good alternatives).
  • Change your DNS to a privacy-first DNSs. Cloudflare is a fast and decent alternative.
  • Use Firefox, Waterfox, Brave, or Opera. Never Chrome.
  • Set your browser to delete browsing data on close or use Tor.
  • Learn how to make a good password and never use the same password twice.
  • The websites you registered accounts on five years ago and don't use anymore? Log in and delete them.
  • Don't put your name in your email (e.g., [email protected]).
  • Avoid using Windows if possible, especially Windows 10 - it's a privacy nightmare. We know this is hard to avoid.
  • Malwarebytes is a decent antivirus, run it manually every week or two (you have to pay for automatic checks).
  • Learn how to manage your firewall in the OS of your choice.
  • Learn about EXIF in pictures, how they store identifiable information, and learn how to erase it.

• Love
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, _Minsk, puppy9 and 6 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
no thank God I'm more on the ball than to take anything on face value with airboy or tigress... there was somebody from the UK who got doxxed and at the risk of triangulation I won't name names hopefully this person will read this thread and chime in.

But keep the jokes coming you guys have me laughing on my end

not only did you learn the definition of doxxed today but you also Googled to learn that there are 5,323 different shades of nail polish so at least you've got that going for you now.

Man now you're rubbing salt in wounds how did you know I was bald.
Lol its the kind of shit that will keep me alive tbh.
I want to live in a world where instead of dissing each other, we doxx each other instead.
SS Rules & Info including some tips on what not to do.

Anything about nail varnish on there ?

• Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, death137, Huntfish34 and 4 others
Nanami

Nanami

Global Mod
Nov 20, 2018
Anything about nail varnish on there ?
Not yet, but good idea. Might add some makeup and nailpolish recommendations on the bottom if I have time.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: it's_all_a_game, AlreadyGone, Chupacabra 44 and 7 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
With all due respect to her, its difficult to know what happened with the tigeress.
There were so many inconsistencies with the stories.
Apparently they played you show me yours and ill show you mine with medicine boxes, and when they fell out pablo, all the way from sunny portugal contacted the met police while sat on a deck chair wearing sunglasses and drinking a sangria.
It was probably the strangest thing ive experienced since joining ss. Fucked with my head quite a bit.

I promise I'm not leaving to regroup and lick my wounds but I genuinely have to leave to meet my sister for a late lunch early dinner. But you better keep the jokes coming because I'm eagerly anticipating what I'll be facing in a few hours. Don't let me down.

• Love
Reactions: death137, Huntfish34, not-2-b-the-answer and 4 others
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
I promise I'm not leaving to regroup and lick my wounds but I genuinely have to leave to meet my sister for a late lunch early dinner. But you better keep the jokes coming because I'm eagerly anticipating what I'll be facing in a few hours. Don't let me down.
Tell your sister that everyone at SS says hi.

• Love
Reactions: mahakaliSS_MahaDurga, death137, not-2-b-the-answer and 5 others
Status
Not open for further replies.