• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

HopefulSleep

HopefulSleep

Wants to sleep
Apr 24, 2023
This wonders me cause I don't want to have any legal problems, I feel very secure in the internet.
When I created my account it made me a bit anxious that I need to give them my ip and can't just create an account with tor.
I thin the reason is so that banned users can't just come back easily.
But as I said in the title it scared me a bit that I don't know if SaSu logs the ip's and has to give them to the feds if they force SaSu to do so.
No hate for this site, I like it cause people help me to end my pain but I really don't need any legal trouble.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
I would not doubt it. Most of not all forum, all social sites record IP on registration.

Reactions: Homo erectus
Angst Filled Fuck Up

Angst Filled Fuck Up

Visionary
Sep 9, 2018
The site has been moved around a lot and has been operated by several people in various countries, so as such it doesn't fall under any one jurisdiction at this point as far as I'm aware. Forum software like this automatically logs IP addresses. I believe the admin and mods can see them so in theory they are stored, however I don't think they can easily be compelled to hand over information. But in general, I think it's best to be cautious. It's a mistake to be too explicit with methods or to help or advise people on ctb in my opinion. I wouldn't automatically assume Tor or a VPN will protect you in all instances either.

Over time, members have become less forthcoming with information and advice, and it's easy to see why what with all the negative media attention. My feeling is the more "nanny state" your country is, the more likely you are to run into potential issues, even though I think the risk of getting into trouble is still relatively small, on the whole. But better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

HopefulSleep

HopefulSleep

Wants to sleep
Apr 24, 2023
I would not doubt it. Most of not all forum, all social sites record IP on registration.
But why this site?
It is very imprtant to be as anonymous as possible on avsuicide forum.

R

RW__Asher23

Student
Dec 11, 2022
Answer that question would be better asked to RainAndSadness or a MOD that might know.
Peace.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
But why this site?
It is very imprtant to be as anonymous as possible on avsuicide forum.
Forum administrators do keep a log of IP addresses used to access the site, logged at registration and when posting. What they do with it at their discretion.

HopefulSleep

HopefulSleep

Wants to sleep
Apr 24, 2023
Forum administrators do keep a log of IP addresses used to access the site, logged at registration and when posting. What they do with it at their discretion.
What I meant was that you can't register with tor which is bad in my opinion cause anonymity is important on a suicide forum.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
What I meant was that you can't register with tor which is bad in my opinion cause anonymity is important on a suicide forum.
That's right. It is only from blocked countries, and because of the log they know if you are from a blocked county to warrant use of a proxy at registration.
However, it is only at registration and you can use one afterwards.

HopefulSleep

HopefulSleep

Wants to sleep
Apr 24, 2023
That's right. It is only from blocked countries, and because of the log they know if you are from a blocked county to warrant use of a proxy at registration.
However, it is only at registration and you can use one afterwards.
But they still know the ip I used to register and I don't know the laws but I don't want the feds on my door.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
But they still know the ip I used to register and I don't know the laws but I don't want the feds on my door.
There's nothing to be afraid of; they do not mean ill by it. This is a safe space.

HopefulSleep

HopefulSleep

Wants to sleep
Apr 24, 2023
There's nothing to be afraid of; they do not mean ill by it. This is a safe space.
I have no plan about law but can't the feds just force the admins on this site to give certain ip's if someone for example helped others to successfully ctb?

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
I have no plan about law but can't the feds just force the admins on this site to give certain ip's if someone for example helped others to successfully ctb?

There is no need for worry as no one here physically helps another ctb. It is resources and personal choices alone.

epic

epic

Enlightened
Aug 9, 2019
It's to prevent someone from using a bot to create endless amount of accounts on the forum . If someone tries to create multiple accounts he will be caught because it would be coming from the same ip address.

Other then that I don't know if it's a legal requirement as well .

BruhXDDDDD

BruhXDDDDD

Student
Feb 18, 2022
I'd advise people who are iffy about it not to participate in that part of the forum. Feels ethically dubious since you don't really know the person on the other end.

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
If in doubt, it's always a good idea to assume some 3 letter agency is operating the site. IP address aside, there are many other ways of tracking users - browser fingerprint, language style, etc. There is little privacy these days. Most crypto transactions can be traced. Even if not now, it would be possible with better technology in the future. If the user is still alive by then, it could mean some consequences.

Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
Tor doesn't leave much fingerprints.
Finding people with the exact same language style is guessing.

Yes, in a reasonable country one may say that the account has been hacked. Then the IP used to register has nothing to do with the messages sent through Tor. But it all depends on what the user have done or said. There are backdoors and logging everywhere, in browsers, os, network, cameras, if they need to catch a big fish.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Tor doesn't leave much fingerprints.
Finding people with the exact same language style is guessing.
Yeah. Language style.
Okay, I'll speak it ナセィーオ Cbyheynt; the language, see if you can crack that. Try to translated it, it won't be what you think it is.

Last edited:
Touhou

Touhou

2hu
Mar 9, 2023
Yes & yes. Your IP is recorded every time you visit the website (if you don't know this, you probably shouldn't be on the internet anyways) & they're required by law to give your IP to the feds if they're ordered to.

unnormal9

unnormal9

SOLDIER T.
Apr 12, 2023
Yes & yes. Your IP is recorded every time you visit the website (if you don't know this, you probably shouldn't be on the internet anyways) & they're required by law to give your IP to the feds if they're ordered to.
Yours primarily.