Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
I plan to jump from a bridge that has almost no survivors. But was just thinking how if I was gonna do another method, if it left me braindead I really wouldn't care. I wouldn't be conscious and pretty much no longer here. I guess if you believe in an afterlife it might matter whether you believe the spirit of someone lies in their consciousness or their body even if machines are keeping it "alive"

Reactions: som1, Deleted member 18655 and Uselessatbest
4eyebiped

4eyebiped

Mage
Dec 28, 2019
Well, there are different levels of brain damage. What if you did not sustain enough damage to become completely braindead but instead brain damage and still aware? Not sure what the other method is but keep in mind the spectrum of possibilities not just the extremes.

Reactions: som1, Brink, AprilsBlessings and 9 others
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
Yeah I'm not concerned about being brain dead, nor am I concerned about being paralysed or disabled, if it happened accidentally.

I wouldn't knowingly do something reckless that had a risk of it, unless I was, at the time, 100% convinced it wouldn't happen. But the thought of it happening doesn't phase me one bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul
Cosmiq

Cosmiq

Student
May 7, 2020
Well, there are different levels of brain damage. What if you did not sustain enough damage to become completely braindead but instead brain damage and still aware? Not sure what the other method is but keep in mind the spectrum of possibilities not just the extremes.

Yeah I can see the different levels, but I guess my focus was specifically on the extreme and peoples thoughts about suffering when you aren't fully aware or conscious about what's going on around you.

Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Being braindead isn't the problem - well, if I'm not costing anyone money or trouble. Being incapacited but aware is the scary bit.

Reactions: Deleted member 18655, Brink, AprilsBlessings and 3 others
profoundexperience

profoundexperience

You can feel the punishment but you cant commit ts
Jun 29, 2020
Yeah I can see the different levels, but I guess my focus was specifically on the extreme and peoples thoughts about suffering when you aren't fully aware or conscious about what's going on around you.

If your body continues, when your mind is ~"gone" (if one can achieve that) you may not personally suffer....

But, I think it's at least possible it could cause a lot of unnecessary suffering to other people (family, friends, medical providers, etc.).

lostangel

lostangel

Enlightened
Mar 22, 2019
As another user mentioned it depends on the degree. There is no way to guarantee you become brain dead without being aware so it's best to avoid it.

rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
Being brain dead equals being dead and you would be dead if there were no machines keeping your brainless body alive. If I would end up braindead my family will turn the machines off.

Reactions: som1 and autumnal
choosingmydestiny

choosingmydestiny

Jun 1, 2020
braindead means dead. only machines are keeping your body alive. I guess for organ donation purpose.
to me this means spirit gone, body being sustained by outside forces :tongue:

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
As others have mentioned, brain death is complete and total death without any consciousness or suffering. So it would be the goal of any suicide. But more problematic are things like paralysis, coma or vegetative state, where you retain a level of consciousness and awareness while being severely physically impaired. These would all be pretty nightmarish.

Reactions: Brink, red_pen, choosingmydestiny and 3 others
Konolomn

Konolomn

Do not sign me up for 2021
Jul 19, 2020
It is just like a long deep coma, no feeling no misery just a breathing potato

Reactions: choosingmydestiny
D

Deleted member 1768

Enlightened
Aug 15, 2018
I plan to jump from a bridge that has almost no survivors. But was just thinking how if I was gonna do another method, if it left me braindead I really wouldn't care. I wouldn't be conscious and pretty much no longer here. I guess if you believe in an afterlife it might matter whether you believe the spirit of someone lies in their consciousness or their body even if machines are keeping it "alive"
Yes. No way of knowing what you may discern while 'braindead'.