Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
I don't want to die miserable and broken. In a way, I feel that if I die that way that i'll always feel that way since my brain has no concept of not existing.

Reactions: Comatose11, lv-gras, Tiburcio and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 847

You might not be your brain, have you ever considered that?

Reactions: WanderingEremite
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
You might not be your brain, have you ever considered that?
Why does a person's personality change when their brain is damaged in a certain way?

Reactions: Comatose11, Dip and BlackDragonof1989
D

Deleted member 847

Why does a person's personality change when their brain is damaged in a certain way?
When you're playing a video game you have a number of decisions you can take with that character, but if something happens to the character you will have a smaller number of decisions that you can take with it. It's the same with our soul. The ego is the soul character.

Reactions: HannibalLector and shadow11
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
When you're playing a video game you have a number of decisions you can take with that character, but if something happens to the character you will have a smaller number of decisions that you can take with it. It's the same with our soul. The ego is the soul character.
Your asserting something without evidence and therefore I dismiss it without evidence

Reactions: Comatose11, skitliv and Tiburcio
D

Deleted member 847

Your asserting something without evidence and therefore I dismiss it without evidence
I wasn't claiming, I was proposing a possible explanation for your question. Besides you believe that the universe exists without consciousness, but we can only ever see the universe in our consciousness therefore I dismiss materialism.

Reactions: Tiburcio
C

creatureoflight

Mage
Jul 27, 2018

For me it is 100% fact that the afterlife exists, however from a general standpoint I think the wisest view would be an agnostic. You don't really know what awaits you after your death.

Reactions: shadow11
D

Deleted member 847

For me it is 100% fact that the afterlife exists, however from a general standpoint I think the wisest view would be an agnostic. You don't really know what awaits you after your death.

Have you ever had a verified OOBE? Like, did you see something you could have not seen unless the experience was real? It happened to me only once. Most of the time my oobes look just like normal lucid dreams or hallucinations.

Reactions: shadow11
C

creatureoflight

Mage
Jul 27, 2018
Have you ever had a verified OOBE? Like, did you see something you could have not seen unless the experience was real? It happened to me only once. Most of the time my oobes look just like normal lucid dreams or hallucinations.

I myself have only had one OOBE and non-verified. But I have read about thousands of them and talked to people who have had NDEs. I tried to learn OOBE in 4 months but failed at it.

Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
I wasn't claiming, I was proposing a possible explanation for your question. Besides you believe that the universe exists without consciousness, but we can only ever see the universe in our consciousness therefore I dismiss materialism.
So then what's the point of suicide if we keep existing after death?

Reactions: Comatose11 and Tiburcio
S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
In that case nobody will be able to change your mind since there is no evidence for anything when it comes to afterlife.

You believe what you believe.
I personally completely disagree with your way of thinking. A brain can definitely stop existing. We just aren't able to grasp the concept of not existing while we are alive.

Reactions: bag.of.cats and Tiburcio
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
How can you back the idea 100%?

Reactions: Comatose11
Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
In that case nobody will be able to change your mind since there is no evidence for anything when it comes to afterlife.

You believe what you believe.
I personally completely disagree with your way of thinking. A brain can definitely stop existing. We just aren't able to grasp the concept of not existing while we are alive.
Why do you think there's an afterlife? Do you think it's eternal too?

Reactions: Comatose11
D

Deleted member 847

So then what's the point of suicide if we keep existing after death?
To play in a better game because this one sucks duuuh.

Reactions: HannibalLector, Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, Brokenanddeadinside and 1 other person
C

creatureoflight

Mage
Jul 27, 2018
How can you back the idea 100%?

Because I have read many scientific books on the subject and read of thousands of OOBES and NDEs and know people who have had that kind of experience. I have also had many experiences I cannot explain so it leads me to believe it 100%.

D

Deleted member 847

Because I have read many scientific books on the subject and read of thousands of OOBES and NDEs and know people who have had that kind of experience. I have also had many experiences I cannot explain so it leads me to believe it 100%.
I think the strongest evidence for NDE are born blind patients seeing during them.

D

Deleted member 847

The CIA was using remote viewers from the Monroe Institute in the 90s if I'm not mistaken

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
I don't really buy into the ND experiences. I do definitely believe people have seen/experienced certain things, but knowing how powerful the human brain is it might aswell be a certain unusual activity in the brain that is making you see this for a short period of time (could be because of a bunch of reasons). Those who are actually dead aren't here to tell us unfortunately.

Reactions: skitliv, Dip and Deleted_9cKnXB34QG
D

Deleted member 847

Santiago I agree with you that NDE are not death experiences, but why do you think, in case an after life existed (i think yes) you would need to be dead to find evidence for it?

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
Santiago I agree with you that NDE are not death experiences, but why do you think, in case an after life existed (i think yes) you would need to be dead to find evidence for it?
Very interesting question.
I think we definitely would have to be dead to find the answer in the hypothetical case that there is indeed an afterlife.

I think with the extremely limited amount of knowledge we have of life, the universe, death, the brain, etc.. there is nobody who will be able to find 100% waterproof evidence of an afterlife anytime soon.

Volatile

Volatile

God
Jun 18, 2018
Another chance.
Existence doesn't interest me. Ever since I was a little boy, ive never wanted to live. I didn't know suicide was an option then or else I would've done it

Reactions: FadedMemory, bag.of.cats and Tiburcio
D

Deleted member 847

Existence doesn't interest me. Ever since I was a little boy, ive never wanted to live. I didn't know suicide was an option then or else I would've done it
You can give up your ego when you die if you want and merge with source.

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
Well since we are making up hypothetical situations..what if you no longer feel the way you do now and you just become this different 'person'?

T

Tiburcio

In my opinion, you would be gone, I won't be worried by that.

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
Still think your original idea is flawed as the brain stops working once you die (not immediately but seconds after)

Now I get it. I said it myself in an earlier comment..we know very little about anything so who knows right. We all like to speculate.

But until the opposite has been proven by scientists, neurologists etc. I do like to side with what we actually currently know which is that the lights go out and that's it. Non existence.

Reactions: FadedMemory, Volatile and Tiburcio
D

Deleted member 847

Still think your original idea is flawed as the brain stops working once you die (not immediately but seconds after)

Now I get it. I said it myself in an earlier comment..we know very little about anything so who knows right. We all like to speculate.

But until the opposite has been proven by scientists, neurologists etc. I do like to side with what we actually currently know which is that the lights go out and that's it. Non existence.
I could use the Quantum Physics argument which clearly shows that we collapse the wave function therefore we ourselves, the consciousness, create the brain and not the brain creates us, but I will be attacked by "Naaah bruh quantum physics is just weird and no one understands it" kind of guys. I think even scientists know this but because the consciousness model of reality is not practical they just don't recognize it and give us bullshit explanations like "it's just a weird thing that seems to contradict our materialism, but don't worry guys one day we will be able to explain it with our materialism" It's like god of the gaps.

S

Santiago

Mage
Mar 25, 2018
I could use the Quantum Physics argument which clearly shows that we collapse the wave function therefore we ourselves, the consciousness, create the brain and not the brain creates us, but I will be attacked by "Naaah bruh quantum physics is just weird and no one understands it" kind of guys. I think even scientists know this but because the consciousness model of reality is not practical they just don't recognize it and give us bullshit explanations like "it's just a weird thing that seems to contradict our materialism, but don't worry guys one day we will be able to explain it with our materialism" It's like god of the gaps.

Thanks for the response. I'll check it out with an open mind! Don't know anything about this theory.