easypeasy

easypeasy

Jul 1, 2024
I vaguely remember seeing a quote, something to the effect of "If I didn't have the option of knowing I could commit suicide, I would've killed myself". It's an ironic and witty quote but I didn't remember who said it or what the exact words are.

It is essentially saying that having the option to end things is what makes life bearable….knowing you have an out if it gets too hard. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Reactions: Praestat_Mori
K

Kavka

Student
Jun 11, 2024
I feel like 99% of the quotes on suicide are from Emil Cioran, and I guess that's true for this one as well.

I live only because it is in my power to die when I choose to: without the idea of suicide, I'd have killed myself right away.

It's from All Gall Is Divided (1952)

• Informative
Reactions: Hero Remeer, LifeQuitter and Praestat_Mori
steppenwolf

steppenwolf

Not a student
Oct 25, 2023
'He gained strength through familiarity with the thought that the emergency exit stood always open, and became curious, too, to taste his suffering to the bitter end. If it went badly with him he could feel sometimes with a grim malicious pleasure: "I am curious to see all the same just how much a man can endure. If the limit of what is bearable is reached, I have only to open the door to escape." There are a great many suicides to whom this thought imparts an uncommon strength.'

Hermann Hesse, Der Steppenwolf (1926)

It's all about having choices, and the choices all being up to you.

Reactions: Hero Remeer
Hero Remeer

Hero Remeer

Sep 22, 2024
What an interesting phrase with its reflection
It's curious if I think about it, I think I've lived under that thought for a while, knowing that I can "leave" whenever I want makes this more bearable when I suffer intensely
Greetings, be well