violetday

violetday

🖤
Nov 30, 2022
I love books. Pretty much anything. Fantasy, thriller, mystery, absolutely soul crushing sad books, even a few romance. It helps me escape sometimes. I don't see anyone ever post about books. Wondering if there is thread for this that I'm missing? Or maybe no one else likes to read? Anyway.. if you do read, I'm Always looking for new suggestions. What are you reading or have read?

• Yay!
Reactions: TCotton, Source Energy, Rocinante and 9 others
LookingOverTheEdge

LookingOverTheEdge

Hello Darkness my old friend
Jul 13, 2020
I love the disc world! I only finished Mort although Reaper Man and Soul Music are on my shelf. I haven't gotten around to reading them because I'm still reading 1984 (Which I've been borrowing from someone since like Halloween)

I haven't tried too many genres, but I think horror is my favourite 🥰
I've read most of the discworld series and I love them dearly. Ironically Soul Music is one of the few I haven't, which I will rectify soon. But I highly recommend Reaper Man.

Reactions: rationaltake
Upvote 0
EternalOblivion

EternalOblivion

But does anything matter if you're already dead?
Jan 13, 2023
I do love to read! Unfortunately, brain fog impedes my ability to focus consistently. My favorite author is Shirley Jackson; she wrote novels such as The Haunting of Hill House and We Have Always Lived in the Castle. If anyone's into horror or mystery, I highly recommend them. I've also been meaning to get into The Locked Tomb Series.

Upvote 0
Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
I do. I have about 300 books in my room. My favorite genres are historical fiction, science fiction and dystopian. I like French and English classics too.
Right now I'm reading Indigo by Beverly Jenkings.
books are the one thing that help me keep my sanity

Upvote 0
Sparr0w

Sparr0w

please feed my pfp crumbs they are begging u
Jan 24, 2023
does fanfiction count as "books"?
i did actually start reading the Temeraire series recently, re-read the first two books and borrowed the 3rd from my local library. really good series (its got dragons of course its a good series)

Upvote 0
blissfulbacon

blissfulbacon

Feb 2, 2023
I love reading! It's my main escape mechanism and i especially love reading fantasy because it's so different from the real world. Unfortunately, I haven't got to do much reading lately and my mental health has suffered as a result.
But once I find more time I plan on binge reading Brandon Sanderson books and rereading some childhood favorites for the sweet nostalgia :)

Upvote 0
B

Bigpink

Warlock
Oct 12, 2020
I love Dostoevsky, the Idiot, Crime and Punishment, Brothers Karamazov is my favourite.

Got into Don Delilo, Underworld is so well written, gets into baseball, cold war terror, threat of nuclear war, art, the art of waste management and an array of fascinating characters.

Upvote 0
B

Bardo

Arcanist
Jan 25, 2023
I love books. Pretty much anything. Fantasy, thriller, mystery, absolutely soul crushing sad books, even a few romance. It helps me escape sometimes. I don't see anyone ever post about books. Wondering if there is thread for this that I'm missing? Or maybe no one else likes to read? Anyway.. if you do read, I'm Always looking for new suggestions. What are you reading or have read?
You can download free books (virus-free as well) at archive.org "Community texts" has TONS, "Bookscanomy", too. I just got about fifty last night on everything from quantum physics and philosophy to politics to business, languages, writing books, natural sciences, musicology, Surrealist Art, psychedelic toads of the Sonoran Desert, history.

Plus, you can always get a free library account there too, but not necessary, as tons are freely available. Awesome. Basically, anything and everything is there. Just sort out the obvious Qwazy whacky agit-prop and inevitable alt-right salivation. But if you like to discover things and like to dip your brain into all sorts of different subjects and realities, then have a blast! (I do NOT recommend licking psychedelic toads, though, unless you've got Cool Whip or something).

One tip--when you see a title you like, click on the icon for a "one-page" view, then move down to PDF and download. All books are uploaded by volunteers at their huge building's location. You can see the person who uploaded it and click on name (not their real names). Page will open to show all the stuff they've uploaded and it's a great way to find even more hard-to-find treasures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
draco i didnt know you could read harry potter GIF

• Yay!
Reactions: rationaltake
Upvote 0
TCotton

TCotton

Feb 1, 2023
I do love books and I read when I can relax (which isn't often)
Books open by my bed as I type:
Elaine Brown: A Taste of Power
Harry Sword: Monolithic Undertow
Bill McGuire: Hothouse Earth
Mike Hougton: I've Always Kept a Unicorn: The Biography of Sandy Denny

Last edited:
Upvote 0
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I've read precious little. I don't have the attention span mor more than a paragraph or two. But one book that sticks in my mind that I got chunks out of here and there is Emotional Intelligence by Daniel Goleman. Quite insightful. I'd also recommend asking chatGPT about how CBT works, particularly cognitive restructuring, it's the most useful technique I've ever applied to myself. You might need to ask it multiple questions around the topic to get it to expose enough detail, but it has the knowledge if you know how to ask it to elaborate etc. It's really very impressive. You can ask it for examples of anything as well to help make what it says more concrete. Not exactly a book, but technically it is reading :)

Upvote 0
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
I'm reading this book ATM: https://www.performancepublishing.c...-of-a-tragic-and-controversial-f1-season.html

It's not your normal sports book, it describes how F1 bosses played politics to cover their own (fatal) mistakes. Which led to the leading driver at the time (Schumacher) being penalised, IMO unfairly. This was essentially to help F1 bosses politics & make that years championship more exciting. I am finding inspiration from the way Schumacher kept on battling, against the IMO unjust penalties thrown against him to eventually win the championship.

I relate to it, because my life is unfair & always will be, so I just wish I had Schumacher's determination to keep on battling against those evil forces.

Reactions: TransilvanianHunger
Upvote 0
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
make that years championship more exciting
*laughs in 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix*

I wasn't watching during Schumacher's time, but the guy strikes me as really hard-headed and at times even ruthless. Which I guess are good traits for someone looking to excel at the top of motorsports. Kind of sad to see how Mick's career has gone in comparison.

But yes, books and reading. Started reading Man and his symbols a few days ago. It's a collection of essays and articles edited by Carl Jung, and authored by some of his main associates. There are many things about Jungian psychology that I disagree with, but it has something that just feels nice and comforting, and I kind of enjoy that anyway.

Reactions: losing hope
Upvote 0
Dot

Dot

Sep 26, 2021
*laughs in 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix*

I wasn't watching during Schumacher's time, but the guy strikes me as really hard-headed and at times even ruthless. Which I guess are good traits for someone looking to excel at the top of motorsports. Kind of sad to see how Mick's career has gone in comparison.

But yes, books and reading. Started reading Man and his symbols a few days ago. It's a collection of essays and articles edited by Carl Jung, and authored by some of his main associates. There are many things about Jungian psychology that I disagree with, but it has something that just feels nice and comforting, and I kind of enjoy that anyway.

Thre r sme gd dcumentries abt Schumachr -- hs skiing accdnt ws v sad -- h/ ws a perfectnst

Erich Fromm = gd persn 2 read-- wrte bks abt philsphy & psychoanlyss cmbind

Reactions: losing hope and TransilvanianHunger
Upvote 0
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Thre r sme gd dcumentries abt Schumachr -- hs skiing accdnt ws v sad -- h/ ws a perfectnst
Yes, I don't get attached to public figures, but watching Mick Schumacher's career kind of go nowhere has been a bit sad considering how successful his father was, and what his life is now after the accident.

Erich Fromm = gd persn 2 read-- wrte bks abt philsphy & psychoanlyss cmbind
I'm only vaguely familiar with Fromm's work, but it does sound like something I'd be interested in reading. Do you have any recommendations?

Upvote 0
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022

I think the reason Michael was hard-headed & ruthless was because of 1994...as he was villified that season due to all the penalties & accusations of cheating thrown at him. Some of which was justisfied, some of which was not & were politically motivated. Also it seems to me some hard-core Senna fans indirectly blame him for Senna's death.

Before 1994 he seemed a nicer/friendlier person IMO, within in the press & in TV interviews etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I think the reason Michael was hard-headed & ruthless was because of 1994...as he was villified that season due to all the penalties & accusations of cheating thrown at him. Some of which was justisfied, some of which was not & were politically motivated. Before 1994 he seemed a nicer/friendlier person IMO, within in the press & in TV interviews etc.
That is entirely possible, realising that he had to be a bit of a ruthless bastard if he wanted to succeed despite the politics and nonsense. Getting anywhere close to F1 in general requires a very specific, competitive mindset, but if after that season he saw how big of a factor politics could be, he very well might've just gone "fuck it, I'm in this to win."

Upvote 0
Dot

Dot

Sep 26, 2021
Yes, I don't get attached to public figures, but watching Mick Schumacher's career kind of go nowhere has been a bit sad considering how successful his father was, and what his life is now after the accident.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Fromm's work, but it does sound like something I'd be interested in reading. Do you have any recommendations?

Sane Sciety / Fear of freedm / Anatmy of Humn Destrctvnss = also v gd bt mch longr & heavr
I think the reason Michael was hard-headed & ruthless was because of 1994...as he was villified that season due to all the penalties & accusations of cheating thrown at him. Some of which was justisfied, some of which was not & were politically motivated. Also it seems to me some hard-core Senna fans indirectly blame him for Senna's death.

Before 1994 he seemed a nicer/friendlier person IMO, within in the press & in TV interviews etc.

Ws vry movng C-ing hs reactn aftr h/ brke Ayrtn Snnas recrd

Reactions: TransilvanianHunger and losing hope
Upvote 0
TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Sane Sciety / Fear of freedm / Anatmy of Humn Destrctvnss = also v gd bt mch longr & heavr
Thank you! I'll add them to my list and will keep an eye out next time I do some book shopping.

Upvote 0
L

losing hope

Arcanist
Apr 27, 2022
Ws vry movng C-ing hs reactn aftr h/ brke Ayrtn Snnas recrd

Yes I remember that at Monza 2000

Shows he was human, despite his hard man exterior.

Upvote 0
Mimmicravesdeath

Mimmicravesdeath

Struggling
Feb 6, 2023
Hiii i love to read too
Currently im reading the kite runner
Im not into romance but i read anything recommended by my friends
Im a hugeeeee fan of horror and read or watch anything that has shock value or gore in it lol
I FORGOT TO MENTION MANGAS! i love mangas too

Reactions: TapeMachine
Upvote 0
TapeMachine

TapeMachine

perpetually confused
Jan 12, 2023
Hiii i love to read too
Currently im reading the kite runner
Im not into romance but i read anything recommended by my friends
Im a hugeeeee fan of horror and read or watch anything that has shock value or gore in it lol
I FORGOT TO MENTION MANGAS! i love mangas too
Kite Runner is a lovely book. It's been maybe 15 or so years since I read it, but I remember how emotionally touched I was by that story.

Upvote 0
BritishPaul

BritishPaul

irl comic relief
Feb 11, 2023
I spend like half an hour daily on wikipedia, been less today since I've been busy with other things but it's still a concerning amount of time I spend reading random articles, mainly been about AI recently.

Upvote 0