echolalia

echolalia

Apr 27, 2023
My psychiatrist has prescribed risperidone (Risperidal) and alprazolam (Xanax) for me. Having Aspergers, both really help me. I see a lot of people here don't like psychiatric meds. I'm wondering if I'm the few who don't mind them.

I should say that I absolutely despise antipsychotics and the only antidepressant that works for me is vortioxetine (Trintellix). I find a low dose of benzos to be work very well. Risperidone is also an antipsychotic but a newer generation with less side effects.

Kasumi

Kasumi

tired
Mar 3, 2023
I can only speak for myself, the thought of substances messing with me is very uncomfortable for me.
It's difficult enough for me to sort of "stay myself" already, I don't need substances to mess me up even more.

I'd be fine with something that only counteracts things, such as anxiolytics, or hypnotics that just make it easier to sleep.
But especially anti-depressants,.. even if they work they usually come with side effects, I feel like they don't really "solve" your problems but just sort of make you "artificially happy" like happy even tho there is no reason to feel happy.
To me, wanting to be not depressed does not mean to be feeling cheerful / high, so yea depends on what kind of medication and the way it works.

t0rch

t0rch

too much
Mar 29, 2023
I don't mind as long as the side effect doesn't interfere too dramatically with my daily functioning. It's funny that antidepressant are supposed to make one anti-depressed but instead fluoxetine (Prozac) made me intensely suicidal - not fun! I'm on sertraline now and it doesn't appear to have any side effect on me so I guess I'll just keep taking it until it works?

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
Even if I could I wouldn't take medication (trauma means I can't swallow tablets) I have been told by professionals that there can't be anything wrong with me if I won't take meds to try and make me better, I personally think meds if done right can help esp when say depression is situational, but for personality disorders etc, I don't think there is any need for them, and a life style change would be easier to adapt too

A

AerialBoundaries

The Songs of Distant Earth.
Sep 18, 2022
If they were of help to me, I'd gladly take them, but I never seem to get any of the positive benefits, whether it's SSRIs, SNRIs, or others.

UseItOrLoseIt

UseItOrLoseIt

1O'8
Dec 4, 2020
I'm anti-medication and anti-psychiatry. I'm like a Scientologist in that way.

But just for me. To each his own.

LivideLamb

LivideLamb

I'm so decaying, feeling like an ashtray
Jan 5, 2020
I know that without them (or even if I forget them) I could end up in a hospital, without my consent, and this thought is pretty terrifying. My life would be ruined, and I would stop it sooner than the date I have.

I don't mind taking medication. I guess that at some point you just get used to it. I take them mechanically, don't need an alarm on my phone anymore. I got risperidone at some point when I was a teenager, I can only speak about my personal experiences, but I gained around 20 pounds (lost all of it) and it made me even more depressed and suicidal. Such a sudden weight gain, especially with the doctors around me saying "There is nothing wrong, you're just making it up" just messed with my head even more.

Xanax to me is the Holy Grail. It works terrifyingly too well... I'm always careful because my body want it a little more than I would like

gideonisaway

gideonisaway

May 6, 2023
no, i don't mind it. when i'm in a depressive episode and forget to take them for a couple of days, it shows me how dark my mind can get. i find it easier in the end to just take them as it makes life easier for me in the grand scheme of things.

unsaiddes

unsaiddes

Apr 25, 2023
I'm on pretty high doses of Prozac and Remeron and would be non-functional without them. I've been prescribed antidepressants since I was around 11 so it's all been normalized to me and I've taken them daily with little issue. I don't really care about "the real me" without medication or whatever because that person is definitely worse than the person I am right now.

Already Gone6

Already Gone6

Jul 31, 2023
Just have it my head that these medications ruined me, and they did. I took antidepressants and antipsychotics (over 5 years the same ones) then they just ripped me off them and put me on Pregabalin. It's for nerve pain and off label anti-anxiety, a controlled substance as well.

Don't like talking about this subject, so many different variables and everyone is so unique. But I will say that I loved Aaron Carter. He was a drug addict prescribed Xanax and he tried to get off it many times and couldn't. He ended up dying at 34 years old from his drug addiction, so clearly it didn't work. Also my first album I ever bought (don't laugh) was Britney Spears. She pretty much had her life ruined by these medications too. So idk.

For some people they help. For the more creative, sensitive people they seem to completely break them and be a means of control more than anything.

smokingfish99

smokingfish99

Jul 25, 2023
My psychiatrist has prescribed risperidone (Risperidal) and alprazolam (Xanax) for me. Having Aspergers, both really help me. I see a lot of people here don't like psychiatric meds. I'm wondering if I'm the few who don't mind them.

I should say that I absolutely despise antipsychotics and the only antidepressant that works for me is vortioxetine (Trintellix). I find a low dose of benzos to be work very well. Risperidone is also an antipsychotic but a newer generation with less side effects.
Without sertraline my ocd would be out of control so I'm very pro medication lol

vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
I was reluctant, and the first I tried didn't work, but what I am on now has made my life so much better.

jonghyun

jonghyun

trying to do well
May 6, 2023
I didnt mind at first, but then it made my skin terrible. From naturally genetically clear skin to the beginning of acne. Went off them for 2 weeks and it cleared up immediately. Otherwise aside from the inconvenience of taking a pill, they were ok