sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
Does anyone else want to become a (Buddhist) nun? I dream about becoming one to escape society. I want to live in a monastery, far away from the rest of the world. I love the thought and idea of being secluded away and isolated from our late-stage capitalistic society, and not having to participate at all. Rather, I would participate in monastic society instead. I think that monastic life would be preferable to everyday life. I know that monks and nuns have to work as well but they at least seem to be working for a "higher purpose", and find meaning and fulfillment in their path.

I hate the idea of having to be stuck in this meaningless, capitalistic society where everything is driven by money, consumerism and greed. I don't find fulfillment or meaning in living under capitalism. I would rather escape to a monastery or ctb instead

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: psp3000, Foreverix, AllCatsAreGrey and 8 others
P

phantom-retreat

Sep 27, 2023
Thought about it but it seems to be a difficult job in reality, I think the minimum work you need to do to get by in capitalistic society is actually less than the minimum work you need to do in a monastery.

Reactions: sserafim, darkenmydoorstep and Homo erectus
passivethought121

passivethought121

Student
Jun 11, 2023
Yep. Becoming a nun also sounds like a good lie to CTB with. I've genuinely thought of telling people I'm gonna go off the grid and be a nun for a month and that's why they should hold onto my things.

Reactions: psp3000, sserafim and Homo erectus
ipmanwc0

ipmanwc0

I'll wait for you ❤️
Sep 15, 2023
Does anyone else want to become a (Buddhist) nun? I dream about becoming one to escape society. I want to live in a monastery, far away from the rest of the world. I love the thought and idea of being secluded away and isolated from our late-stage capitalistic society, and not having to participate at all. Rather, I would participate in monastic society instead. I think that monastic life would be preferable to everyday life. I know that monks and nuns have to work as well but they at least seem to be working for a "higher purpose", and find meaning and fulfillment in their path.

I hate the idea of having to be stuck in this meaningless, capitalistic society where everything is driven by money, consumerism and greed. I don't find fulfillment or meaning in living under capitalism. I would rather escape to a monastery or ctb instead
I've thought about becoming a Buddhist monk did not know there was a version of that for women

Reactions: sserafim and Homo erectus
Homo erectus

Homo erectus

Mage
Mar 7, 2023
I imagine it's not easy. As a short term retreat, it's probably fine and feels like a refreshment. But in the long run, there are probably regular meetings, assembly, prayers, sharing public facilities, and other social interaction, and naturally politics.

Reactions: sserafim and peace_van
D

Done_Surviving

Student
Sep 17, 2023
Yeah I actually thought about it a lot too, specially when I was more into my spiritual phase, I even looked up all-women monasteries, but Idk, it seems like a lot of work.

Reactions: sserafim
M

Meteora

Ignorance is bliss
Jun 27, 2023
Thougth about it, too. I m not sure if it is possible or recommendable with severe depressions (that I have).

darkenmydoorstep

darkenmydoorstep

Not Waving But Browned Off….
Sep 27, 2023

I used to fantasise about that too but I think I talk too much and they are quiet places aren't they? It's probably a more peaceful existence just trying to have as little as you possibly can to maintain. Living off grid if you can. That way you have minimal interaction with the world and it's bullshit.

peace_van

peace_van

My time stops now.
Sep 9, 2023
I'm also considering this option as my only way to keep on living. But I would do this gradually.
I don't want to accept the religion totally, and I may not be able to completely give up modern lifestyle and adapt to the life in a monastery.
So I will practice Buddhism on my own first and then decide whether to go further.

There's a Chinese saying the mediocre hermit is in the wilderness, the great hermit is in the city.
True internal peace comes from one's heart and should not be relied on the outer environment.
Also someone pointed out that even in a monastery you may still need to deal with social interactions. Wherever there're people, there's a jungle.
I hope I could achieve the mental state by relocating to another city and live an independent life.
Minimize my social connections, learn Buddhism, practice yoga, teach myself a musical instrument...

This is a decision of comparable importance with ctb and it's wise not to make a large stride.
I can hardly accept myself betraying a religion, if that happens I would mentally struggle again.

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I probably was one in a previous life. I have thought of being one in this life. But I wouldn't succeed, most of them leave after a year or two. It's a very strict deprived lifestyle, all you own are two robes.

You can still be a Buddhist without being a monk or nun and even that has it's challenges.

Reactions: peace_van and sserafim
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
I'm also considering this option as my only way to keep on living. But I would do this gradually.
I don't want to accept the religion totally, and I may not be able to completely give up modern lifestyle and adapt to the life in a monastery.
So I will practice Buddhism on my own first and then decide whether to go further.

There's a Chinese saying the mediocre hermit is in the wilderness, the great hermit is in the city.
True internal peace comes from one's heart and should not be relied on the outer environment.
Also someone pointed out that even in a monastery you may still need to deal with social interactions. Wherever there're people, there's a jungle.
I hope I could achieve the mental state by relocating to another city and live an independent life.
Minimize my social connections, learn Buddhism, practice yoga, teach myself a musical instrument...

This is a decision of comparable importance with ctb and it's wise not to make a large stride.
I can hardly accept myself betraying a religion, if that happens I would mentally struggle again.
Lmao I'm already a hermit in a city so….ugh I just don't see a point in participating in the capitalist system or society. I'll probably ctb to escape it then. My issue is social interaction and having to be around people. I wish I could just escape society and be free
I imagine it's not easy. As a short term retreat, it's probably fine and feels like a refreshment. But in the long run, there are probably regular meetings, assembly, prayers, sharing public facilities, and other social interaction, and naturally politics.
Yeah social interaction and its politics are the problem for me. Joining a monastery practically isn't a good idea for me cause I hate talking to and being around people, it's just more of a fantasy escape from society in my mind. Ugh I wish we didn't have to participate in society….

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: peace_van
AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
I've thought about becoming a Buddhist monk did not know there was a version of that for women
There definitely are. Opening the monastic order for women was one of the radical teachings of the Buddha, considering that was out of the norm before. Because of this, you'll find women monastics in every branch of Buddhism.

I was a Hindu monk and priest when I was younger - from 17 to 26. I lived in several different monastic communities in the US, Ireland, Germany, and India. I'm now 45.

My first CBT attempt was at 16. The desperation to find some meaning and place in the world was a big part of starting that. Also, escaping the wreckage of this late-capitalist hellhole.

(Sidebar fun fact: renunciants in both Hindu and Buddhist traditions wear saffron colored cloth. Some say this represents the color of a funeral pyre, highlighting how they are renouncing the material world - a kind of suicide.)

Since then I've done formal Zen training, although never as an initiated monk. That's still a big part of my life in an informal way.

The experience was overall really good for me. It helped to expand my view of myself and the world. That said, there were also many parts of it that left some scars of religious trauma. I would still encourage looking into it, for people that are interested, with a word of caution to be aware of the pitfalls of cult mentality (see BITE model) and misuse of power.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: sserafim and Foreverix
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
Rather, I would participate in monastic society instead. I think that monastic life would be preferable to everyday life.
I support you in your nunnery! You could be like Pema Chodron. 🙂

It may not be a panacea, but it would be a very interesting experience.

Reactions: sserafim and AllCatsAreGrey
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
Lifelong meditator here. I listen to this woman's talks on youtube:

Reactions: sserafim and peace_van