FutureHanger

FutureHanger

fml
Dec 9, 2023
here's what I'm talking about no hatred to the teen as I'm sure they have good intentions but it's so frustrating how the system uses brain scans and all this other stuff to pretend like they're helping suicidal people when in reality you don't need to give us brain scans, just improve our lives or give us euthanasia. You don't need to look at the blood brain barrier to know you should give suicidal people better lives FFS.

• Yay!
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap and Miku _fanboy101
breezeboy

breezeboy

To infinity and beyond
Dec 8, 2023
Not infuriating at all.
I'm glad attention is being brought to what suicidal people deal with in their brains.

Last edited:
Reactions: boddibo and reclaimedbynature
casual_existence

casual_existence

Student
Jul 29, 2023
People see suicide as a disease. Like heart disease. Except both of those are more like symptoms. It would obviously help if people didn't have either of those but people don't get suicidal for no reason.

At the end of the day if we have a shitty society then it's only natural that we will see it manifest itself in people.

Reactions: Rogue Proxy, pthnrdnojvsc, Kasumi and 3 others
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
People see suicide as a disease. Like heart disease. Except both of those are more like symptoms. It would obviously help if people didn't have either of those but people don't get suicidal for no reason.

At the end of the day if we have a shitty society then it's only natural that we will see it manifest itself in people.
This is very true, in reality there's probably a constellation of thousands of different factors that would cause a person to become suicidal, so one study or biomarker is merely a microcosm of a much bigger picture.

The reality is that feeling suicidal is typically a symptom of a much larger issue, and that once the behaviour is learned and solidified in a neural correlate we can't really 'unlearn' the existence of it, save for a severe brain injury or neurodegenerative disease that decimates one's memory.

Even if it was possible in the future to upregulate the survival instinct through some mechanism, this would most likely not ameliorate the underlying issue causing a person to be suicidal in the first place. Brains are very complex and fine tuned pieces of biological machinery, it is very reductionist to say that a complex process like feeling suicidal can be boiled down to a single experimental finding.

Current science is just not up to snuff with the sheer complexity and scale of unknowns that are inherent to the mind, as scary as it is, there is so much we don't know. I have a degree in this field, and I still barely know anything.

• Informative
Reactions: Kasumi and Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Awesome- so, we just need to cut out stress in our day to day lives... I mean- who knew?

Actually- I do support the study of the physical brain in relation to mental health. Seems like a no brainer to me! Cardiologists didn't get so knowledgable by sitting people down and asking them to describe their symptoms. They studied the heart! Seems sensible to study the organ where the problem originates from... Not that I'm a scientist but- it seems like common sense!

Of course, I do share your frustration though. Worse actually- this kind of thing troubles me for the same reason anti-depressants trouble me. None of it is in fact about reducing stress on the modern day human. It seems to be more about taking drugs to make us numb to it and everything else, so we can carry on being productive little members of society. Well, screw that! I don't want to be some mindless zombie slave!

People are sick because our lifestyles are sick. But- they don't want to change them- they're making too much money so, they'd rather change our brains to cope with it. Nah- I want out- thanks very much.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and FutureHanger
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
Not infuriating no, more annoyed that a student can seem to figure things out but governments and big pharmaceutical companies don't care about us.

These is such limited research in how to treat us and make us well. There is too much money keeping people ill on ADs for life to invest in actual treatments.

Reactions: VidFlumina