deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
I feel like I can't form a meaningful connection with others.

Socializing is exhausting. I can never find the right words to say. I can't hold a conversation no matter how hard I try, and it always ends in awkward silence.

I feel so isolated from everyone else. I can't truly be myself around others because I know they would find me even more weird and off-putting. I just feel so alone.

Does anyone else feel this way?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: staplestable, Dead Horse, Kore and 30 others
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
Yeah...me too.🫂
Feeling and being alone is an excruciating pain for me.I personally think that not being able of having a good connection with people...family,friends,relationships etc is one of the biggest misery in life since we are social beings and we need others and meaningful connections or otherwise why we are alive,why we do what we do?things start lose meaning...life lose meaning.
I felt exactly like you said some years ago,then when I started being just a bit more confident in myself i felt more open to others but yeah with social anxiety it is still a struggle and well lonliness is painful.Also the fact that you don't feel like you can be yourself with others...i feel this but with my family,i don't know why I was born in my family since I always felt i don't belong.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Pluto, deadwinter, ColorlessTrees and 3 others
TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Yes it´s impossible to makes friends as an adult I have even tried recently to make friends online but I feel the constant messaging of "what are you doing" is so repetitive and boring and many times I don´t feel I have the energy to respond because it apparently takes some mental energy I don´t always have and it seems it´s just trivial like it´s not like I am ever going to meet them btw this also adds to every single day seems exactly the same just sitting in my room making insignificant small-talk with strangers I will never meet.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: deadwinter and Chemical Animal
Chemical Animal

Chemical Animal

"I was born out of time, I'm not meant to be here"
Jan 24, 2023
I've been feeling the same for like a decade. I have random and very niche interests, my passion for anything is very volatile, my habits are very awkward and inconstant, my interest in things that normal people talk about or engage with is almost non-existent and I get bored easily. I'm a weirdo and the more normal I try to be, the more burned out and mentally exhausted I get.

I no longer have the mental energy to mask my real self and pretend to be someone I'm not in order to have people interested in me and be perceived as someone nice to have around. And the internet is the only place I'm able to find kindred spirits, but the depression makes it impossible even to maintain virtual relationships.

Not to mention I'm easily forgettable, when I finally manage to make a connection with someone (to the point I ask myself how did I do it), I notice the person quickly gets bored of me and forgets my existence when another friend of theirs appears. Socializing is a "damned if you do, damned if you don't", so why bother wasting effort on it? I only have my dysfunctional parents as friends and that's all.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: deadwinter, ColorlessTrees, peace_van and 5 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
Yeah people mostly talk about boring crap and are always preoccupied with pointless things like careers, offspring, and the latest blockbuster movie. I mostly want to talk about how much everything sucks and am quite boring myself. I sometimes look for ways to socialize, but everything looks boring at best. I am literally dying from boredom and loneliness.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: deadwinter, silentcicada, foreverfalling and 1 other person
N

nptg5

Aug 30, 2023
I have made some genuine connections with other people, but it's very rare. It seems like I don't get along with 99%+ of people. But every once in awhile I find someone who is on the same wavelength.

When I think about other people I've observed, especially other not-so-genuine friends I've had, I actually wonder if they have any real, genuine friends, or if they are just faking it and floating along. I kind of think that close, genuine friendships are pretty rare, and hard to build. (Could probably go on and on about problems with society in the US, and how it's getting way harder to create meaningful relationships...)

In the past few years I've tried to get better at small talk. I still hate it, but now I understand - it's the only way to start getting other people to trust you. You can't just jump in head first into a deep, meaningful relationship with someone - you have to ramp up over time, little by little, to make sure you can both trust each other.

Also - I've found that drugs help a lot. Even just coffee puts me in a *way* better mood - even if it's just temporary. I was raised to believe that taking drugs to avoid problems was bad, and wrong. Maybe it's dangerous as a kid/adolescent, but now I wish I hadn't been raised like that... drugs have definitely helped me a *lot* in many aspects of life.

Of course... I'm still extremely suicidal. So what do I know.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter
O

outatime_85

Warlock
May 17, 2022
Unfortunately, I never learned and was not taught how to build bonds.

So I do not know how to build friendships or romantic partnerships.

If anyone attempts to communicate with me, the conversation is one-sided.

Basically, I do not have the ability to form bonds or connections with others.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Arachno, deadwinter, foreverfalling and 2 others
SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023

Socializing is exhausting. I can never find the right words to say. I can't hold a conversation no matter how hard I try, and it always ends in awkward silence.

I feel so isolated from everyone else. I can't truly be myself around others because I know they would find me even more weird and off-putting. I just feel so alone.

Yes, I can relate with basically everything you said.
And it was dumb of me to try and bond with some people in here too.
Of all places of the internet, I think this is one of the worst to try and form significant connections with others for obvious reasons. (people want to ctb / they want to share the least about themselves / many have mental issues which makes socialization even harder / etc).
I'm not saying their reasons to be invalid of course, just saying that as a fact.

Unfortunately, I never learned and was not taught how to build bonds.

So I do not know how to build friendships or romantic partnerships.

Also this. No parents to teach me how to build bonds. No friends, no nothing.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: movinout17, deadwinter, Chemical Animal and 1 other person
nux_walpurgis

nux_walpurgis

Me, my whispers and a broken God
Oct 18, 2023

I feel every single word you said

• Love
Shiva_Story

Shiva_Story

Student
Mar 12, 2023
how bizarre to live in a world that is so interconnected, yet unable to make any meaningful or lasting connection..
I forgot how to friend.. but i've accepted my loneliness and discern the limits it puts on my experience of life.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, peace_van and Alienated_Candle
Alienated_Candle

Alienated_Candle

Solitude is Peace, Loneliness is Prison
Oct 17, 2023
how bizarre to live in a world that is so interconnected, yet unable to make any meaningful or lasting connection..
I forgot how to friend.. but i've accepted my loneliness and discern the limits it puts on my experience of life.
I can definitely relate to that, I feel like an observer watch everyone else's life while mine is crashing while they all look the other way.

• Love
Reactions: Shiva_Story, deadwinter and peace_van
A

annique

earth's rotation gets me dizzy everyday
Jul 5, 2022
i can say i have 2 real friends i feel comfortable talking to, so i won't easily run out of stuff to say to them in a conversation, but these relations were build a long time ago when i was still mentally "stable" and could hold conversations

nowadays, yes, it's really difficult for me to meaningfully connect with others, because my social anxiety has progressed a lot these past few years (more so after the pandemic) and also because i have become more nihilistic and uninterested in talking in general

but, i will be lying if i say i don't want to connect with others, i wish i could, really, i wish i could have a normal social life, that probably would also help me feel better in general

• Love
Reactions: movinout17 and deadwinter
SmollMushroom

SmollMushroom

send N pls
Sep 27, 2023
I don't think that's bizarre at all. With internet, people are given more choices so they are more likely to "discard" what or who they don't like.
In a way we could say that it has become more competitive to be a good friend/lover, because it's very easy for people to find better if you are not up the task.

Back in the days, before internet, you had to be more accepting of your surroundings, of the people around you if you wanted to have friends or to find love.
So even if the people around you weren't perfect, you felt a deeper bond with them because that was what the world had given you, and you wanted to put an extra effort to make the best out of it.

Now everyone is so picky because of how easy it is to connect and find people they enjoy, so the ones who struggle with social skills are left behind.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter and peace_van
G

greebo6

Enlightened
Sep 11, 2020
Yes.
Its not that easy when you look like I do and have to drag all the psychological baggage around too.

• Love
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023

Yeah but I don't want to connect with others. I don't feel isolated from everyone else, I enjoy being alone. I actually enjoy isolation and being isolated from others and society. I hate that social interaction is necessary for survival in this world. You have to participate in society and interact with and talk to others…eventually I'll have to go out into the real world and make a living and this requires social interaction and I hate it. Socializing is exhausting and I suck at it, and I hate that survival depends on it.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: deadwinter, peace_van and theslasher
AshClouds

AshClouds

In time I started growing inward.
Apr 10, 2023
I feel more isolated in large groups than I do alone.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, peace_van and gonegirl1
deathviahanging

deathviahanging

caring is boring
Sep 28, 2023

it's true making new friends can be tedious but being alone sometimes isn't ideal...... if u can't find common interests w someone you have to RLLY persistent to be their friend and even then the friendships isn't guaranteed to go anywhere beyond acquaintances

• Love
G

godsseepiestsoldier

Oct 22, 2023
Yeah youre definatly not alone. Ive had loads of friends of differing personalities but never anyone id ever truley consider a friend or someone ive connected with. Sometimes i thought i was building that connection revealed something about myself because i felt comftable only for them to kinda recoil away. It sucks but at the end of the day i figure with 8bil people on the planet there has to be at least 1 person who i can form that connection with. Probably just deluded myself with hope but oh well lol

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter and gonegirl1
Is0lated

Is0lated

2024/2025 Livestream
May 29, 2023
I can't really communicate with anyone unless I start copying their personalities which gets quite messy

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, KillerIsMe and gonegirl1
Sylveon

Sylveon

...Anomaly
Oct 10, 2023
Whenever I interact with people, it feels as though there is some kinda "barrier" between them and me.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter, peace_van and gonegirl1
L

LeafOnTheWind

Sep 18, 2023
Starting to think that the real meaning behind the movie Fight Club is more like a philosophy of true enlightenment in a nihilism Buddhist kind of thinking. I feel like was born way to early but yet I think
I would have loved the 60s :(

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake
You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else
We are all part of the same compost heap
We are the all singing, all dancing, crap of the world"

Life is the song "People are Strange - The Doors" stuck on loop. Don't feel too bad about not connecting socially, think 98% of this planet is inhabited by idiots in rush to go nowhere and don't know why. ;P

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: deadwinter and gonegirl1
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I've kind of given up on friendships altogether. Even when I had friends I always felt lonely and I would always get paranoid, thinking that they didn't actually like me but were too scared to admit it or were just friends with me out of pity. My mom wants me to make friends, claiming that now that I'm in university it's more important than ever that make them, but even when I try to make aquaintences I still find it hard. Last year, there was even a girl from my bio lab who was very nice to me and would sometimes talk to me, but I would find it hard to say anything back.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: deadwinter, movinout17 and peace_van
silentcicada

silentcicada

Silhouettes on the ceiling
Aug 2, 2023
Since turning about 17 I haven't been able to make any new friends for one reason or another. I'm 22 now and it's the same, finding trustworthy people is hard. I don't like how normalized gossiping and shit talking are.

• Love
theslasher

theslasher

psychonaut
Jun 12, 2023
I can count on a single hand how many "friends" I have. 2/5 are old friends, but we haven't talked in a while, we made plans to hangout in the summer but it never happened. 1 friend, we went to the gym together a few times in the past year, good guy, not someone I talk to much and it's a bit of a drive to hang with him. The other 1, I have hung out with a good bit this year, he's a really funny dude but we hardly hang out that often, we'll be doing our own thing for several months or 1 year and then hangout and catch up. Then the last 1, I talk to more often on facetime but we haven't hung out in person in years. Although we do plan on hanging out and working out together sometimes. So that's 5 I guess, but yeah on a daily basis in my personal life I don't currently have any friends. When I was in college and on a sports team, it was inevitable, I had a few friends. 2 out of those 5 I mentioned are from that same team. The other 3 are from my high school / middle school. After college it's pretty hard to make friends. I mean I love catching up with buddies online, networking with others with similar interests online, but it's nice to connect with others in person too. I wouldn't say it's impossible, but yeah MOST people I've met in my life have turned out to be fake as hell. They'll just sacrifice your emotions for the entertainment of others, then act like you're all cool when it's just the two of you. Or just make you look bad whenever girls come around to make themselves look better. I've only had 1 friend in my whole life who hasn't done me wrong in those ways. So I don't think it's impossible I just think 99% of people are dickheads and I've learned to be more selective with who I allow into my life. With toxic family members they can be quite hard to avoid, but at least I'm mentally in a better position where I no longer feel the need for validation. Aside from that, finding friends in general is hard. But if we want to build connections, we must place ourselves in positions to do so. And the good thing about putting yourself in situations where you meet more people is that, you are allowed to be yourself. When you're only in a town with people you've always known, but you eventually change (as all people do), they may criticize and mock you. When you meet new people, they no longer carry a lifetime of judgement about you. You no longer feel the need to match someone else's version of you, in their head. People you've always known look at you through a lense that shows the past version of you and doesn't like the new version of you. Because most humans hate change (terrible survival mechanism). So if you're not in an environment that encourages change and growth, you will likely never change, nor will you grow. I suppose online you can put yourself in certain environments which can be incredibly impactful, but let's all be honest.. I mean we all say we enjoy solitude, but that's only because basically everyone we've met has been a dickhead. If we had the option to snap our fingers and have friends we could actually do things with in person, friends who actually cared about us, I think we all would. The truth is, even if most people are dickheads, not everyone is a dickhead. Out of the 7 billion people around this world there's gotta be at least 1 other person you vibe with. Maybe they're not in your home town, maybe they're not in your country, or maybe they are, maybe there's a lot of them. The only way we can find out and connect with others is to put ourselves in those situations. That means being vulnerable, open to judgement & critique, but this time we should be okay with that and not take it so seriously. We've isolated ourselves, pushed others away, and stopped putting ourselves in positions to meet new people, we've been doing all of these things as a survival mechanism. And while it may have worked in the short term, in the long term, that same survival mechanism is the very thing that harms us. Humans are social animals. While we can find peace in certain degrees of isolation, complete isolation will literally drive you mad. As much as I hate this to be the truth, being lonely literally decreases your life expectancy. "While being alone and feeling alone are not the same thing, the effect on longevity is similar. The BYU study found that social isolation and living alone were even more harmful to a person's health than feelings of loneliness, increasing mortality risk by 29% and 32%, respectively." A 30% higher mortality rate due to being alone / feeling lonely is insane. Our emotions, our thoughts, our mind... it all plays a role in the health of our body, and same vise versa, it's all connected. And look, I enjoy solitude more than anyone. I can sit in my room alone and feel a great sense of peace in my own presence. I've also felt more lonely than ever in a room filled with people. I've felt alienated, bullied, & outcasted while surrounded by my own blood. How could I not learn to enjoy my own presence? How could I not prefer to be a lone wolf?

Well, I took a trip into the woods, all by myself. It was at the most beautiful, peaceful, & remote AirBNB you could even imagine. There was not another human being around for miles and miles. It was really nice. I enjoyed the fire pit, made some dinner, looked up at all the stars, woke up, made some breakfast, enjoyed the incredible view, caught up on some reading... But despite ALL of that, despite how amazing it was, I couldn't help but think to myself, "This would be so much more fun with another friend to enjoy this experience with." Despite everything I just said about being a long wolf, enjoying my own presence, etc. (I mean that's all great and can allow us to get back to a baseline of happiness and self love). After that, in order to truly live a full and rich life, I believe connecting with others is the way to do so. And you don't need 1000 friends or anything, maybe just a few or even just 1 really good friend. I believe the periods in my life when I could share these memories with others is when my life was the best. So, while isolation can be peaceful, that is only up to a certain degree. The solution isn't to build a list of fake friends, but to connect with just a few and build meaningful relationships. I'm not trying to act like an expert though, I have been pretty socially awkward at many times in my life, but I'd say first you gotta stop consciously attaching your identify to someone who's "socially awkward" because if you do then subconsciously your body and mind will do things to fulfill that belief. And after that, you gotta stop trying so hard. It's odd, because I am so competitive and with sports or games, the more you try the better you do. But with socializing it's like the Backwards Law, the less you try & the less you care, the easier and more natural it all becomes.

cryvinglightning

cryvinglightning

it gets worse before it gets better.
Oct 27, 2023
in a lot of my interactions with people i feel othered and excluded. recently i've learned that it's likely because of autism. i've only been able to form a meaningful connection with a handful of people with my same issues and special interests, but for the rest of the world i'm very much an outsider.

Reactions: sserafim
Captainvoid

Captainvoid

Not all who drown are swimming.
Oct 24, 2023

It's an interesting problem and fairly widespread.
I've been in sales, marketing and done some talkback radio.
I was in the armed forces and training. No problems there.
Talking into a mic, phone or speaker, I'm great and can talk for hours.
Drop me into a social gathering, I'm tongue tied and can't string a sentence together.
I've missed out on great jobs & opportunities during interviews, because of this issue.
Not sure there's a (cure) probably keep at it, build your confidence.🙂👍

• Love
peace_van

peace_van

My time stops now.
Sep 9, 2023
It's hard for us to make and maintain connections, but it's impossible to live without connections.
That's the insolvable paradox and is an important factor that takes me to ctb.

Reactions: deadwinter, movinout17 and tiger b
MelancholyDolly

MelancholyDolly

Lolita ♡ I am a human doll
Oct 28, 2023
Yeah you're not alone on this. When I tried being nice to people they all shunned me away, laughed at me, and hated my guts. So now that I've grown from then got older, prettier, and learned hate people. I can't stand it when people come up to me being nice or start idle chat for no purpose. No cared about me at my worse it's all pretty privilege bullshit.

All I ever talked to people for was if they were helpful to me in some way. Otherwise I don't see any reason to form meaningful connections with people who do not benefit me in some way shape or form. Humans are the worse, my advice is to get a pet if you don't have one. If you can't even just try going outside and talking to the animals you see out there helps. Humans are horrible, but cats and other cute animals never did anything wrong, they're innocent and while they won't reply, and least listen. Which is a lot better than most humans will do.

• Love
Reactions: sserafim and deadwinter
deadwinter

deadwinter

i want to see angels
Apr 7, 2023
Humans are horrible, but cats and other cute animals never did anything wrong, they're innocent and while they won't reply, and least listen. Which is a lot better than most humans will do.
i agree w this, humanity & society are sickening. why have friends when you can have cats?? anyways, animals count as friends, right? ^_^

Reactions: MelancholyDolly and sserafim
Rapière

Rapière

On the brink
Jul 7, 2022
Forming bonds has always been extremely difficult for me, even prior to my chronic illness years. I'm often stuck in a weird state between looking down on most people and simultaniously feeling like the lowest worm in the universe, which puts a massive barrier myself and others.

The last time I've had a proper conversatiom with a being other than my mother or my doctor - and even those I can count on one hand - was over 2 1/2 years ago. Not kidding. And no, i did not exclude internet chats.

• Love
Reactions: deadwinter and movinout17