• Total voters
Bergamot

Bergamot

Sorry babe i love you..
Jan 25, 2021
I wish resolve the problems with my gf. I wish only this

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Benetar argues that the absence of happiness is inherently neutral, but that the absence of suffering is a universal positive.
I don't quite get how the absence of happiness is inherently neutral. Being unhappy sure doesn't feel neutral.

Last edited:
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
Have you read the book Better Never to Have Been: The Harms of coming into Existence, by modern philosopher David Benetar?

In the book he discusses a concept known as assymetry. Basically, if a potential human life is not brought into this world, they will be deprived of both pain and pleasure.

Benetar argues that the absence of happiness is inherently neutral, but that the absence of suffering is a universal positive.

Therefore, by never being born, you would be spared of the unnecessary suffering that is basal to life, so the loss of potential happiness (enjoyment is never guarenteed in life) is worth the benefit if you view the problem through the lense of negative utilitarianism.

From both a philosophical and personal perspective, I know that I should have never been born. Yes, I've had some good times, but I do not think they could ever outweigh the tragic or mundane events that have composed the majority of my life.

For every positive memory, I have about 20 horribly scarring ones to compensate for it, a constant reminder that I am damaged beyond repair. When people tell me that the majority of individuals believe that life is worth it, regardless of the amount of suffering one endures, I wonder how much time they've actually spent experiencing severe pain, abuse, sickness, poverty, etc.

If I was never born, I would not have to know the humiliation of being disabled and treated like a burden, nor would I ever have to comprehend how it feels to be in agonising pain everyday.

Life is truly just a Russian roulette. You could end up being privledged and oblivious to all the dangers lurking around every corner, or you could end up in such a state that you have to contemplate your own death in order to get any semblance of relief. This is why I am antinatalist and would never bring another human into this world.
I have heard of this argument, but I have not read the book. Thanks for the recommendation.

BigNarkoleptic

BigNarkoleptic

If this isn't the end, what's meant of learning.
Mar 8, 2021
Well, sub atomic, to lightning, to phytoplankton, to algae, to insects, to sea creatures, to land lizards, to mammals to humans. From giant supernovae that enrich our possibilities of life, to the metabolising of life.

Consciousness, is autonomy at different levels.

Why does a serpent with no eyes exist at the bottom of the sea.

Why do small children die of terrible infections.

Why do I feel depressed I cant get the education and security I want.

Life, is a perspective.

All beings are relative.

We're a product of environmental evolution.

But beyond technology, and the circle of life.

I see experimentation. Not purpose, beyond just existing. Trying to survive.

The boundaries are unclear but I wish I was not born of such a trapping life in society.

But if I must exist, I must. I admire it. I hope when I die, there will be a home for us all to have a peaceful experience before the true end. Human nature is, violent. Like the universe.

Aeathelina

Aeathelina

Little Homeless Girl
Feb 5, 2020
All the time.
Between being born into an life riddled with addiction and abuse plus being disabled. I would never have wanted to live this life nor why would any subject their child to this.
Maybe at one point this didn't seem so bad because it's my life and I fucking hate it so much.

Reactions: FuneralCry
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
Yes. I believe I was never meant to exist. I have probably been depressed all my life and have always found this world intolerable. I always felt an empty void within me. Maybe this could be being autistic where basic senses like sound and touch actually hurt me. I think now due to chronic health problems I have the desire to escape from this prison o existence.

Reactions: Celerity
blue_muse

blue_muse

Mage
Jan 31, 2021
Yes, because I've realised in the last few years that I've been living for particular friends and family who don't have my back. I mentioned in another thread that it's as though I exist to assist; whether that's to entertain, do errands as unpaid labour etc.

Oozzy

Oozzy

Jan 19, 2021
I wish I lived as a different person in a different place

bad luck

bad luck

Memento mori
Mar 2, 2021
La viada is an experience, in my case, with several bad moments and others very happy, although I was always medicated, sometimes more, sometimes less. My life definitely went to shit 2 1/2 years ago. Now CTB is daily. I don't see a future and I'm almost 40 now. I don't think life can offer me more, unless I win the lottery and can afford a professional for intensive and personalized therapy. Not all public health professionals treat you like a being human. Just someone to experiment with medication. Two professionals are already tired of me because their help seems to be not enough and they are frustrated. I have not talked to them about suicidal thoughts in a long time. They change the subject. They also know that I will not do something violent against me. They don't know that I have SN. Anyway...

Reactions: Celerity and orlandom
LenkaX

LenkaX

Maybe there is a hope!
Aug 14, 2020
It would be much easier to just no exist, so Yes.

L

Leshen

Oct 31, 2018
Yes, very much so. I should have been aborted or dead at age 7.