S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
It won't be a full-on apocalypse. Maybe the west continues to decay and the east takes our place as numero uno but it's not going to be the end of the world.

Oh, you're talking about a climate apocalypse... Yeah, that's definitely not going to happen.

Decaying of the west sounds about right at least.

Reactions: Huntfish34
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Yeah, I wish for it and I fear it at the same time. If it were up to me, I woudn't have the nerve to make it happen, but I'm not against someone or something else causing it. I hope the asteroid that's coming near the earth in November hits if I'm not already dead by then, and causes the extinction of humans. I hope everyone dies quickly and painlessly, or at least quickly, whatever the event. And I don't feel bad for wishing it, it's not like I have any control over it or am directly harming anyone by doing so.

Reactions: _Minsk, woxihuanni, Dr Iron Arc and 1 other person
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
We are going to have an asteroid strike in a month or two? That could possibly be worth delaying any plans for...

• Love
Reactions: crybaby, _Minsk, Dr Iron Arc and 3 others
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
I want to be dead before the world ends

• Aww..
Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Huntfish34
Dreamless Sleep

Dreamless Sleep

The eternal night before chaos...
Feb 1, 2020
I want the extinction of people. I dont care if there are happy people on the planet.

Humans are terrible to each other, terrible to animals, and terrible to the earth. We are a failed experiment.

Reactions: Cherrypea, AnotherBrick, soundsofsilence and 4 others
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
I personally don't wish for the end of the world . However I wish there was a catalyst to drastically reduced global population in order for us not to exhaust all are finite resources, which will ultimately kill all life on the planet, IMO, unfortunately.

For myself to wish for the end of the world would just feel selfish. Not judging others should you feel this way. This is just my own personal view and how I perceive myself given my own wants and needs.

Reactions: Huntfish34
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
It doesn't matter if people want to live on and try to be happy. If humanity went extinct, it would be fantastic. No more suffering.

• Hugs
Reactions: marcusuk63 and Chupacabra 44
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
It doesn't matter if people want to live on and try to be happy. If humanity went extinct, it would be fantastic. No more suffering.

But your perception and my perception might not be the perception of others. Not everyone shares our perception of suffering.

People are different. Some love life. Is it fair for us to want them not to have this?

Reactions: TheSoulless
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
This is difficult. I wouldn't want to dash other people's happiness and impose on their will by ending the world, but on the other hand, I so detest this existence and world, that I do enjoy the idea of its destruction. I'm also terrified of returning here as a creature, human or otherwise, that suffers as or even more than I have in this life (arguably I have it quite good relative to most people, yet I still suffer immensely, so just imagine their suffering). So if all life were eliminated, that concern would be dealt with.

However, things get complicated quickly. What if there's sentient life elsewhere, so that ending this world would not end suffering completely? In such a case, ending this world wouldn't be so productive, because it wouldn't have solved the problem (of suffering).

Although, there's something to be said about the potential quantification of suffering (I think it can be done); that ending this world would greatly reduce suffering, which is noble enough, and the emotional element of vengeance exacted on a cruel world is also there.

Overall I'm definitely in favour of such a cataclysm, but only in a specific way that causes no physical pain, and ideally in a way that nobody sees coming (I personally wouldn't want to suffer these torments.)

Reactions: Huntfish34 and Chupacabra 44
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
This is difficult. I wouldn't want to dash other people's happiness and impose on their will by ending the world, but on the other hand, I so detest this existence and world, that I do enjoy the idea of its destruction. I'm also terrified of returning here as a creature, human or otherwise, that suffers as or even more than I have in this life (arguably I have it quite good relative to most people, yet I still suffer immensely, so just imagine their suffering). So if all life were eliminated, that concern would be dealt with.

However, things get complicated quickly. What if there's sentient life elsewhere, so that ending this world would not end suffering completely? In such a case, ending this world wouldn't be so productive, because it wouldn't have solved the problem (of suffering).

Although, there's something to be said about the potential quantification of suffering (I think it can be done); that ending this world would greatly reduce suffering, which is noble enough, and the emotional element of vengeance exacted on a cruel world is also there.

Overall I'm definitely in favour of such a cataclysm, but only in a specific way that causes no physical pain, and ideally in a way that nobody sees coming (I personally wouldn't want to suffer these torments.)

Not to speak for you, but if I'm grasping the underlying theme of your first paragraph correctly the saying "first world problems" comes into my mind. I think those of us with first world problems including myself have too much time to reflect and to realize how sucky life truly is for us.

I'm older, and when I was younger there was a saying "don't go through life fat dumb and happy." I had a teacher in high school who said 'don't be Joe six pack" to our class. He defined a Joe six pack as a person who came home everyday from a menial job, drank a twelve pack of Budweiser, got drunk and fell asleep watching cartoons after work.

Perhaps, I wouldn't be here if I were fat, dumb and happy.

Perhaps, I wouldn't be here if I were a Joe six pack.

Last edited:
Reactions: Superdeterminist and Huntfish34
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
Not to speak for you, but if I'm grasping the underlying theme of your first paragraph correctly the saying "first world problems comes" into my mind. I think those of us with first world problems including myself have too much time to reflect and to realize how sucky life truly is for us.

I'm older, and when I was younger there was a saying "don't go through life fat dumb and happy." I had a teacher in high school who said 'don't be Joe six pack" to our class. He defined a Joe six pack as a person who came home everyday from a menial job, drank a twelve pack of Budweiser, got drunk and fell asleep watching cartoons after work.

Perhaps, I wouldn't be here if I were fat, dumb and happy.

Perhaps, I wouldn't be here if I were a Joe six pack.
I see your point, however I don't know if it's an issue stemming from having too much time on one's hands. It's true that I have a lot of spare time, but I much prefer this to having to spend my time doing something I don't enjoy. Like everyone else, I'd like to commit my time to something fulfilling and enjoyable (trite but true), but it's unclear how, if at all possible, to achieve this. I also dislike the notion of "first world problems", people seem to use this phrase mainly to downplay the complaints of others.

I don't think that the potentially deeper suffering of others (in the third-world) invalidates or trivialises the suffering of the more privileged in life, because suffering is subjective. First-world problems (happiness, career success) may tend to entail less physical pain than third-world ones (disease, hunger) but I don't think that makes them less important; both are extremely dire, they obstruct the path to a happy life in incomparably different ways.

I don't think that coming to a realisation (e.g. that life sucks) is ever something to be avoided, if that realisation is accurate. But what does accurate even mean? It's certainly accurate for me to say that life sucks, but it's only a personal truth, not a universal truth, since others would disagree. But how do we weigh personal truths vs universal truths? I submit that personal truths must surely be less significant than universal ones. But to label them completely irrelevant, I think is a mistake.

• Love
Reactions: Chupacabra 44
SipSop

SipSop

Arcanist
May 7, 2020
Did you guys seen Tenet?
The "bad guy" wants to do exactly that.
He has cancer and he wants to kill everybody along with him.
The thing is that his death will cause this weapon to activate and kill everybody on the planet.
It feels a nice way to go. At least you would not go alone, you would not miss anything.
Would you do it?

Reactions: Homecoming and Chupacabra 44
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
I see your point, however I don't know if it's an issue stemming from having too much time on one's hands. It's true that I have a lot of spare time, but I much prefer this to having to spend my time doing something I don't enjoy. Like everyone else, I'd like to commit my time to something fulfilling and enjoyable (trite but true), but it's unclear how, if at all possible, to achieve this. I also dislike the notion of "first world problems", people seem to use this phrase mainly to downplay the complaints of others.

I don't think that the potentially deeper suffering of others (in the third-world) invalidates or trivialises the suffering of the more privileged in life, because suffering is subjective. First-world problems (happiness, career success) may tend to entail less physical pain than third-world ones (disease, hunger) but I don't think that makes them less important; both are extremely dire, they obstruct the path to a happy life in incomparably different ways.

I don't think that coming to a realisation (e.g. that life sucks) is ever something to be avoided, if that realisation is accurate. But what does accurate even mean? It's certainly accurate for me to say that life sucks, but it's only a personal truth, not a universal truth, since others would disagree. But how do we weigh personal truths vs universal truths? I submit that personal truths must surely be less significant than universal ones. But to label them completely irrelevant, I think is a mistake.

Well thought out and articulated response. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Homecoming and Superdeterminist
RC90

RC90

Experienced
Sep 13, 2020
I actually think it has started already.

Reactions: Leshen and Homecoming
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
Did you guys seen Tenet?
The thing is that his death will cause this weapon to activate and kill everybody on the planet.
It feels a nice way to go. At least you would not go alone, you would not miss anything.
Would you do it?

Not familiar with Tenet, but as to your question "no".

If I didn't want to go alone, then I would enter into a suicide pack with one or more other people. For myself, the question you pose I see is moralistically wrong. I try and be somewhat altruistic, and for me to do what you propose in your question is contrary to my personal beliefs.

I started to write a post to try and engage you with some of your thoughts. Two points - one I'm out of my league with you on philosophical concepts. I know where I'm strong and I know where I'm weak, and this knowledge is empowering. Next, I'm not sure where I stand with a lot of these philosophical concepts so for me to make it up, off the cuff, I felt was a bad approach.

Hopefully somebody more philosophically inclined will read your post and the two of you can have active engagement.

Last edited:
Reactions: SipSop
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
It just needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

Tenor 26

• Aww..
Reactions: woxihuanni, Dreamless Sleep, Homecoming and 1 other person
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
It just needs to be unplugged and plugged back in.

View attachment 45179

Lol

I literally told my sister today at our late lunch early dinner that 10 years ago I turned off TV and never watched it again because the only two shows I enjoyed were South Park and the deadliest catch. I told her Ive seen all those reruns at least 10 times by now anyway.

• Love
Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Did you guys seen Tenet?
Would you do it?
I saw Tenet. I couldn't understand most of what was going on even more than usual for a Christopher Nolan movie but that was probably because I was watching a pirated version that had English language but Chinese subtitles (which I can't read). Nolan movies tend to make way more sense to me only when I can watch them with English captions. I literally had no idea that was what the villain was planning nor do I understand how that even works. I wish I could see it again with English subs.

I know I said I didn't want the world to end but if we're picking from movies here, then I'd much rather have the Avengers Infinity War/Endgame type of apocalypse where half of all life dies completely painlessly and instantly, without even leaving a trace of remains. Hell, at the end of Endgame, Thanos was even about to change his plan and wipe out everyone. Truly he would have brought us all a merciful end.

Man, reading your posts is something else :pfff:
Thanks, lol. I mostly meant it though. :ahhha:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: SipSop
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
No, because I truly like humanism.
Think about all the people who wish to live a long and happy life.
I'm not one of them, but I feel empathy towards them.

watsonsmith

watsonsmith

Aug 31, 2020
Not to speak for you, but if I'm grasping the underlying theme of your first paragraph correctly the saying "first world problems" comes into my mind. I think those of us with first world problems including myself have too much time to reflect and to realize how sucky life truly is for us.

The suffering amongst us, the more privileged, has this additional weight of guilt associated with it. At least in my own experience. On top of the misery that my life has become, I added to it by not being grateful for the many opportunities and relative periods of stability I had in my life. Whilst to an extent I could blame it on my mental health issues, I feel fully responsible for making the wrong choices even if at the time I thought I was doing the best I can to better my situation whilst pursuing something meaningful in my life.

I feel like I failed not just myself and the people who believed in me, but all the billions of people who got dealt much poorer cards than me just for the sake of being born in the wrong country or into a more pathological family.

I am definitely not a proponent of relativising one's pain, because there is always someone who has it worse (perhaps down to an orphan dying of dehydration in Yemen) and it does no good to the person suffering. But in the current era of interconnectedness it is hard to avoid.

Still, I don't think the label "first world problems" is appropriate in this context. New dimensions of prosperity (that grant a more individualistic outlook on life) brought about new dimensions of personal hell people have to suffer alive.

And to answer the OP – no. I know many people who pursue their lives in wonder of the world around them and I wish for them to continue undisturbed. When I was in my manic states and "became God" I wanted people to come back closer to nature and each other, detach from the technology that separated us under the veil of connectedness, and live long lives exploring themselves, their emotions and sharing them with others.

(but to be entirely honest, I sometimes do have these thoughts - for a nuclear war to just wipe me out along with my shame)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Chupacabra 44
Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

Sep 13, 2020
The suffering amongst us, the more privileged, has this additional weight of guilt associated with it. At least in my own experience. On top of the misery that my life has become, I added to it by not being grateful for the many opportunities and relative periods of stability I had in my life. Whilst to an extent I could blame it on my mental health issues, I feel fully responsible for making the wrong choices even if at the time I thought I was doing the best I can to better my situation whilst pursuing something meaningful in my life.

I feel like I failed not just myself and the people who believed in me, but all the billions of people who got dealt much poorer cards than me just for the sake of being born in the wrong country or into a more pathological family.

I am definitely not a proponent of relativising one's pain, because there is always someone who has it worse (perhaps down to an orphan dying of dehydration in Yemen) and it does no good to the person suffering. But in the current era of interconnectedness it is hard to avoid.

Still, I don't think the label "first world problems" is appropriate in this context. New dimensions of prosperity (that grant a more individualistic outlook on life) brought about new dimensions of personal hell people have to suffer alive.

And to answer the OP – no. I know many people who pursue their lives in wonder of the world around them and I wish for them to continue undisturbed. When I was in my manic states and "became God" I wanted people to come back closer to nature and each other, detach from the technology that separated us under the veil of connectedness, and live long lives exploring themselves, their emotions and sharing them with others.

yeah I'm clearly in over my head in this philosophical stuff. you guys run circles around me. I wish I had more of that inside of myself.

At uni I had to take two philosophy classes as part of my undergrad. my eyes were glazed over in both classes; I had no idea what was being discussed.

However in Reading your feedback I can relate as I know many within my peer group can, as well. FYI for point of reference I'm in my 50s.

SipSop

SipSop

Arcanist
May 7, 2020
I saw Tenet. I couldn't understand most of what was going on even more than usual for a Christopher Nolan movie but that was probably because I was watching a pirated version that had English language but Chinese subtitles (which I can't read). Nolan movies tend to make way more sense to me only when I can watch them with English captions. I literally had no idea that was what the villain was planning nor do I understand how that even works. I wish I could see it again with English subs.

I know I said I didn't want the world to end but if we're picking from movies here, then I'd much rather have the Avengers Infinity War/Endgame type of apocalypse where half of all life dies completely painlessly and instantly, without even leaving a trace of remains. Hell, at the end of Endgame, Thanos was even about to change his plan and wipe out everyone. Truly he would have brought us all a merciful end.

Thanks, lol. I mostly meant it though. :ahhha:
Yeah dude, I forgot about "the snap".
Sounds a easy way to go!

Also, about Tenet: in the beginning I thought it was a James Bond wanna be movie.
But after the first attempts to understand "the inversions" I gave up and just enjoyed the film. It said in the movie also: don't try to udnerstand it too much, just feel it.
And it was worth as the movie is more exciting and intriguing as it goes.

Perhaps you should give it another try with english subtitles.

O

ophiastri

Sep 17, 2020
I'm really torn on it.

I've lived long enough that I understand human nature is fundamentally evil. Some of us are exceptions but there is no goddamn way you can argue our species is not. If you want to call your species moral and truly intelligent, you don't waste your intellect engaging in wars, extortion, human trafficking, schadenfreude, murder, or politics where you're glad when other countries fail or laugh at them because they have a stupid leader. You don't destroy your only home, ruining it for millions of other species so you can get more green paper with a face on it that you worship so much you'll sacrifice everything for it. Some people actually "roll coal" and try to kit their trucks out to put as much exhaust into the air as they can to spite environmentalists. While it's horrible, animals fight and eat others because they need to survive and compete for scarce food. Humans, however, murder trillions of animals for pleasure when they could easily survive without it. It is literally genocide on a cosmic scale to please our taste buds and you're a ****ing radical extremist if you suggest to someone they eat less meat.

I believe in love and the potential we could accomplish as a whole if people made an effort not to be awful but it's uncommon you find people with deeply altruistic hearts. I've seen things like the family of that journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who got dismembered in the Saudi consulate, forgive the people who did that. As hard as I try to be good to others, something like that is far beyond what I could ever do. Still, the kindness out there still cannot outweigh the crimes against nature that a majority of us refuse to even question.

At the same time, I wouldn't want the people who do good in the world to have to be punished for all the evil that's outside their control. I think we can do so much together even when so many people are going against progress. We would make even more progress if so many people weren't so hateful, contemptuous, and selfish. It would really be a waste for life to evolve to the point where it becomes so clever that it figures out how to manipulate its own gene code and build space stations but it gets reset before it can reach its full potential and explore the universe. That said, I don't know if we could even explore responsibly. Many of us want to believe we could communicate or get along with alien life but I'm pretty sure we'd just wind up harvesting them for organs and bile for alternative medicine and strip their planet bare for our own purposes anyway. We already do it to life here, why would humans not do the same thing on other planets?

I also don't want to rob all the other species of the earth of the chance to evolve into something perhaps better than we were and something that doesn't revel in the misery of other beings.

I don't really want anyone to suffer regardless, so if it did happen, I'd rather it be something instantaneous. I'm not even sure what could do that though because even some of the deadliest cosmic events would be relatively slow and cause mass suffering.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dreamless Sleep
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
i do but also think it would be good if some virus made everyone sterile and we just fizzled out of extinction .

Reactions: Dreamless Sleep, Homecoming and TheQ22
Sprite_Geist

Sprite_Geist

NULL
May 27, 2020
No because a lot of people still want to live and it wouldn't be fair on them to destroy the world. I don't wish for the world to end, but I do wish that there would be an end for those that are suffering and want to leave the world.

L

Leshen

Oct 31, 2018
Well, we're living it right now - it's called climate change. Too bad it's so painfully slow.
And yes, we deserve it for mindlessly breeding like rats and exploiting the earth's resources with no regard for other life forms.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
And yes, we deserve it for mindlessly breeding like rats and exploiting the earth's resources with no regard for other life forms.
Does this mean rats also deserve to be extinct? :aw:

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I want myself to end but not the world. Its a beautiful place filled with amazing wonders, there are people who enjoy life and thrive. I wouldn't want to take them away from it. Of course it'll end at some point, but I wouldn't want to be the one making that choice and forcing it on others.

Reactions: Homecoming