N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I thought about something similar. I restarted writing this thread. The first name was "Should children know the harsh truth about reality?" I thought about how I would explain to a child the war in Ukraine or when someone close would die. I asked myself which behavior would be right. I was not sure if this title was appropriate in a suicide forum. I just thought about what would it be like if I was a parent.

My parents made a horrible job (abuse, etc.), I would really fear to repeat the same mistakes my parents did. I am VERY convinced I never want to have children. My genes are horrible and I am really scared about the fact my sister wants to procreate...our illnesses and my suicidality have a genetical component. But I am not sure if noone should have children. I won't elaborate on that the main topic is not antinatalism.

I am not sure if it was possible to do a way worse job than my parents when raising children. On the other hand at least both of my parents had jobs. This is something I probably could not deliver. And I absolutely don't want to raise a child in poverty. There is always this narrative our children must have a better life than the current generation. This is often the meaning of life for many people. Though I think this promise often can't be made. You play a lottery if you procreate especially if you are poor and have bad genes.

I am not sure how I would explain to a child the war in Russia. I would probably never endure the responsibility you have as a parent. I would immediately collapse. I cannot even keep my own act together. How should I have the capacity to raise a child? On the other hand I would educate my child in a more healthy way. My parents had horrible takes (on politics) and this infuenced me when I was younger.

I am not sure if I would lie to a child when someone died. Maybe I would replace the circumstances if they would have been very horrible. I would never visit a church with my children. I would rather teach them some important ethical principles. Moreover I would never make them believe there was Santa Clause.
Not sure if I would raise them secular or show them different religions and let them choose one/or atheism. Kids do often the same things as their parents. So probably the hypothetical child would be atheist.

I think children are so fragile and vulnerable. You can traumatize them so easily and it is quite arbitrarily. I remember just random bullshit that happened to me when I was a child and noone could have prevented it. The risks are so high to leave damage when raising children. I would be always scared to hurt my children emotionally. Probably similar as my parents did but I would never be violently to them. It must be pretty difficult to be a good parent. I could never carry that responsibilty.

• Hugs
Reactions: Depressed Cat, Ringo, rationaltake and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Well I used to think I could at least try. After all I thought I couldn't be any worse than my own dad was to me but I'm just becoming a lazier stupider version of him. I used to be a very patient person but lately I've become far less so probably because I know I'm going to die soon.

As for everyone else, it seems to me like these days almost all of the people who are actually fit to be parents are the only ones smart enough not to have kids in these cruel times whereas the people having kids right now are the ones who are least able to properly rear them. This paradox will only grow in magnitude as more people who realize they shouldn't have children will eventually find themselves outbred by all the people making the world worse in the first place. Either way things don't look good.

• Hugs
Reactions: Depressed Cat and Ringo
motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
No. Children make me feel sad. I don't like being reminded that they exist. Seeing angry &/or miserable people with their young kids makes me sick.

• Hugs
Reactions: deleted, Depressed Cat and Hollowman
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
Nope. I never wanted kids. Neither did my late spouse, it was great. We had much more time for each other, which is good because he's dead now and kids would have taken away from any time we got to spend together before he died. I would also hate to have been left taking care of kids, since I just want to die.

I hate kids. I think they should be banned from most public places, like grocery stores. Whenever a kid does that high pitch fucking shriek at the top of their lungs, I lose my shit. It is worse than nails on a blackboard.

• Yay!
Reactions: deleted, Crazy4u and Hollowman
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Just the thought of having kids makes me laugh. I've had an awesome life without them, and wouldn't trade that for anything.

WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
No I'd be a terrible parent. I think it's unethical to create them anyways.

Reactions: Foresight and Red Scare
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
I hate kids. I think they should be banned from most public places, like grocery stores. Whenever a kid does that high pitch fucking shriek at the top of their lungs, I lose my shit. It is worse than nails on a blackboard.
I actually get a lot of joy when kids act like assholes in public, restaurants, planes, etc. This is because of two things 1) They are annoying everyone else too, and that makes me happy and 2) They are annoying me for a couple hours max, their parents have to deal with the little fuckers for the next 18 years or so :)

• Yay!
Reactions: deleted, Depressed Cat and Symbiote
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
No. I do not want to have children. Life is completely unnecessary, if you never exist, you never suffer. We were all perfectly fine not existing until we were forced to live. I do not understand people who want to have children, why would anyone want to bring a child into an world that is so unfair and cruel.

• Hugs
Reactions: yive, Depressed Cat, Talvikki and 1 other person
Sunset Limited

Sunset Limited

I believe in Sunset Limited
Jul 29, 2019
I'm a perfect parent. My children won't have to experience this world :)

• Love
  • Yay!
  • Hugs
Reactions: deleted, Depressed Cat, Foresight and 1 other person
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
One of my biggest dreams was to become a mother and have my loving family.I love children and sometimes just the thought of me one day being a mom kept me going on.But with depression i would never be a good mother,i have an orrible genetic and i don't think someone would like to make a family with me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sunset Limited, noname223 and Depressed Cat
ColorlessTrees

ColorlessTrees

Stuck
Jan 4, 2022
The ethics of bringing life into such a terrible world, environmental reasons, overpopulation, having to ruin my body with pregnancy (biggest qualm, hell no) and so on keep me from entertaining the idea. I'd never adopt, either, because in a perfect world I still wouldn't want them. That's also glossing over all the hoops to adoption I wouldn't be able to bypass.

I do realize that isn't what this question proposes, though. I don't think I could be a good parent; I can't be a good daughter, nor can I be a good human. I can't even function. High empathy doesn't necessarily make one a good parent, and due to my own upbringing I'd be the strict, miserable mother, depriving them in ways they wouldn't understand "for their own good". As in, I'd beat healthy habits into them (not literally) in terrible ways and probably end up too strict so they don't fall into the same pitfalls as me and my loose upbringing, but then they'd be fucked in other ways. I think about this all the time for some reason.

Raising another human being properly is one of the hardest things in existence, imo.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sunset Limited, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Depressed Cat and 2 others
Squalo

Squalo

A Fatal Mistake
Jan 14, 2021
yes, it would be enough for me to do the exact opposite of what my parents did to me.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sunset Limited and Ringo
C

come to dust

Arcanist
Oct 28, 2019
I'm not sure how someone whose life plan is to kill themselves can be a good parent.

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
No, I've never wanted my defective genes in this cesspool.

Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Hell no. Reasons are too numerous for this post but I would be a shitty father, I don't have the patience, and about 1 million other reasons. A suicidal mentally ill person has no excuse to bring another soul into this cruel world.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sunset Limited
Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
I used to take care of children whether they were my neighbors or cousins, I did not refuse the idea of having children but I was not in a hurry either, I always preferred to adopt stray animals, because they were already born and there is not much I can do about it.

At this point in my life I can't even take care of myself, how do you expect me to take care of a child? Neither my pets nor my hypothetical children deserve to have a childish and useless girl as a mother figure.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sunset Limited and Dr Iron Arc
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
I think I'd be a decent parent. I'm patient and I had pretty good parents, I could follow their lead. I can't have kids though, and I'm happy about it. Adding kids into my current bad health situation would be a nightmare.

Reactions: Sunset Limited and ColorlessTrees
Nolan96

Nolan96

Mage
Feb 12, 2022
I think I'd make a good parent if I weren't poor and suicidal.
I'm gay anyway, so having kids never felt quite as on-the-table as it would if I were straight.
Still, it's a shame that it probably won't ever happen.

Reactions: ColorlessTrees
Depressed Cat

Depressed Cat

Mage
Jan 4, 2022
I'm an antinatalist, so I will not have biological kids of my own.

I'm open to adoption if my wife were to insist on it. Even then, I may not turn out to be a good father. What if my recurring MDD were to go out of control and I CTB one day? I wouldn't want any possible adopted child of mine to experience that. So yeah, maybe, maybe not. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Reactions: Sunset Limited
Kristicide

Kristicide

I am a prisoner locked up behind xanax bars
Dec 16, 2021
Not a chance

• Aww..
Reactions: ImsooDone1N
LONE WOLF.

LONE WOLF.

PUNISHER.
Nov 4, 2020