Apr 16, 2023
Yes rational suicide is very real
When? depends what the person is willing to cope with

Reactions: girlsboysthems
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I see wanting to die as being a logical response to existing in this world filled with senseless cruelty, endless suffering and just being aware that existence is something so harmful where there is unlimited potential to suffer. And I also see it as being a logical response to being aware of how futile and unnecessary existing is and how it only leads to decay, I could never understand it if someone didn't consider suicide a reasonable option.

But I bet that if everyone had to experience the most extreme agony I doubt that even the most life worshipping people would want to continue, I bet that many pro-life people would change their views if they ended up in a situation of way worse suffering as after all existing can get much more unbearable at any moment.

Reactions: girlsboysthems
girlsboysthems

girlsboysthems

no i dont have a gun
Dec 19, 2022
yes, once all the options have been exhausted and the person feels ready.

Reactions: Hollowman
L

lebrodude

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2022
I think everyone has their tipping point.

S

sjembek

Aug 1, 2023
I think everyone has their tipping point.
Yeah, but do you think there is a point where someone could actually recommend someone to CTB, given their life is horrible enough and they're already considering it?

Sapphire

Sapphire

Student
Nov 22, 2022
Yes I think everyone has a breaking point. Its different for everybody. There are some people who have better coping skills and are more resilient; they are able to keep going longer even when one bad thing after another happens to them. Other people don't have as good coping skills and smaller problems may push them into despair.

You can't really pass judgement on other people and their situation. What may seem reasonable to one person, may seem trivial to another person who doesn't have the same problems and doesn't have to live their life.

Reactions: FindingHome and Hollowman
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
If so, when?
I don't think there's a line for everyone in the same place. I think it is different for everyone. I think everyone has a line where if it is crossed they will CTB.

Reactions: MyFinalProject and Hollowman
vanadium23

vanadium23

Aug 15, 2023
Yeah, but do you think there is a point where someone could actually recommend someone to CTB, given their life is horrible enough and they're already considering it?
I mean one could go to jail for inciting/assisting suicide but otherwise if all other options have been exhausted then yes.

JustABug

JustABug

Sinking in my skin
Aug 18, 2023
Yes but that option is solely dependent on what the person wants. If you've been dealt a shit hand at life where you've had no achievement's and no one to depend on, it's up to you if that's it for you. However someone can simply not get into their school of choice, and if they believe that that's worthy of their suicide, That's their choice. I don't believe it's up to us to judge why people want to take their own life. It's their life and if that's where they want to end it, so be it.

Reactions: vanadium23
L

lebrodude

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2022

I don't think anyone should recommend someone CTB tbh. I think it's only natural to dissuade someone from doing it.

That decision is a very personal one.

Azora

Azora

Apr 13, 2023
My personal belief is that no one should end it all because of an emotional state alone. Your pain should be REAL pain and something that is unending. Otherwise you're commiting permanently to something that can be easily fixed with time, therapy and/or medication. Would you ctb because you were miserable with the flu? Of course not, because you know that it's going to eventually end. Dispair also ends, only FEELING at times that it will last forever.

Larysa

Larysa

Student
Apr 11, 2023
My personal belief is that no one should end it all because of an emotional state alone. Your pain should be REAL pain and something that is unending. Otherwise you're commiting permanently to something that can be easily fixed with time, therapy and/or medication. Would you ctb because you were miserable with the flu? Of course not, because you know that it's going to eventually end. Dispair also ends, only FEELING at times that it will last forever.

Can you not conceive of the fact that emotional pain can be very REAL and unendurable pain? Pain that can persist for years. Pain that for many cannot be "easily" fixed despite trying endless medications, therapies and decades of time?

Reactions: Eudaimonic