K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
Or is it impossible? Have you known any to change?

Reactions: Trannydiary, not-2-b-the-answer and Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I believe that anyone is capable of change. We all change over time whether we want to or not. However, meaningful and constructive change requires more work than most are willing to put in.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Brink, Silenos and 6 others
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Reactions: Trannydiary, Brink, KleinerWolf and 4 others
Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
They absolutely can if they want to. My father used to be racist but he changed himself because of an honest desire to be a reasonable person. It's only hard to change people when they don't care about how reasonable they are and are too wrapped up in their own pride to listen to conflicting opinions.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Brink, Zappfe lover and 4 others
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
I think some people are just too set in their ways where it's just too deeply rooted within them for them to change. Or perhaps it's just a case of them being unwilling to open their minds and change.

Reactions: Trannydiary, KleinerWolf, not-2-b-the-answer and 1 other person
E

esse_est_percipi

Enlightened
Jul 14, 2020
Or is it impossible? Have you known any to change?
It depends on the person.
If a person has a lot of hatred in them and personal baggage, and maybe bad childhood experiences, it can be difficult to make them see sense.
I know that being confrontational with such people will not make them change. The key is to try to talk reasonably with them and not use judgmental language. Try and see things from their point of view, this will make it easier to lay out the opposing view, which is the utter irrationality of not treating others with the proper respect and on terms of equality simply because of something like ethnicity.

Reactions: Trannydiary, KleinerWolf and not-2-b-the-answer
SoIntoYou

SoIntoYou

Pillowman
Jul 9, 2020
it takes a lot of love

Reactions: Brink, Woodnote, GoodPersonEffed and 1 other person
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I know that being confrontational with such people will not make them change. The key is to try to talk reasonably with them and not use judgmental language. Try and see things from their point of view, this will make it easier to lay out the opposing view, which is the utter irrationality of not treating others with the proper respect and on terms of equality

From my own personal experience, there is truth in this. The only time I ever remotely got through to my mother was when as an adult I pointed out during a conversation about her childhood how scary the domestic violence she was laughing off must have been. She got quiet and said, "Yeah, I guess I brought some of that to you." But then it never went further. Although the physical abuse had been over for years, she never stopped trying to control me, and she never sought to make amends for the past. It's really hard to be the bigger person and keep trying to help someone out of that, having been on the receiving end. I've had to use my power to get myself out of it, I admit I resent needing to rescue her, too, in order for there to be reconciliation and safety. I'm tired of having all my strength and all my love going for her benefit, even that benefit. I'm not a Christ figure. I'm not Gandhi. She has to take some ownership for her salvation, and she has to have desire for it. Or, she has to suffer to the point that she sees it as the best solution. Most people don't change unless the pain is so great that change is the only way to stop it, or come out of an illusion to awareness when the illusion is hurting them too much.

Confrontation, I think, can potentially wake someone up. They have to have even a seed of willingness or awareness, though. If they keep clinging to whatever makes them feel justified, and if they cling to whatever illusion they're in that overpowers their reason, recognition of others, and their self-control, especially if they're filled with the power of what they're doing and get fed by it, then it's really hard for them to connect with the goodness and rightness in themselves, and their inner power and backbone, to stop and change course.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: epic, Zappfe lover, KleinerWolf and 2 others
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
Not everyone can change, and it's not realistic to expect prejudices to just stop existing. As long as there are inequalities or even minor differences between individuals, there will be issues that then turn to hate towards one group.

It's sad, but that's how the human tribalistic brain works. We evolved in small groups or family units that constantly had conflict with others, so thinking negative of different people and others (regardless of race, gender, religion, etc.) is more way more present in our brains than some people would like to think.

Maybe some day we will understand each other and realize that generalizing a group just because an individual did something that we perceive as bad is just wrong. But we live in a world where even the oppressed and victims of those prejudices turn into the oppressor when they get to the top.

The best thing to do is just to ignore them, only a few have the courage to listen to the other side and even a smaller minority will put effort to change.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Brink, Zappfe lover and 1 other person
Green Destiny

Green Destiny

Life isn't worth the trouble.
Nov 16, 2019
I remember a documentary in school about a skinhead who eventually left a local hate group and completely changed his views on people, and what we was before scared him to death. For some it probably takes time, but I think it's possible.

Reactions: Trannydiary, XYZ and Deleted member 19654
Deleted member 19654

Deleted member 19654

Working towards recovery.
Jul 9, 2020
There are definitely examples of people who are able to change. I don't remember her name but she was part of the Phelps family and westboro Baptist church till she chose to leave. She did a Tedx talk about it

Reactions: Trannydiary, XYZ and GoodPersonEffed
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
I believe they can. If there is a will to change anything is possible. It depends of the environment tho. If a bigot never leaves their home turf and never immerses him/herself into new cultures, experiences and perspectives, I don't think there's a chance they just wake up and go "Wow dude, racism is wrong".

sadbadpsychogirl

sadbadpsychogirl

sonofabitch
May 29, 2020
according to american history x, yes. according to reality, im not sure.

Eren

Eren

Si hablas español mándame un MP
Oct 27, 2018
I think so, but not because others tell you that they are wrong, people do not change their way of thinking by external coercion, this even reinforces their way of thinking.

They can change with time and experience, because they realizes that he is wrong.

so tired or manic

so tired or manic

Arcanist
Jun 12, 2020
it gets complicated. what level of racism and bigotry? if it's something they grew up with pointing out why the thoughts are incorrect might make a difference as long as they're willing to accept they can be wrong.
I've come across people who just want to hate everyone and racism and bigotry is an easy way to do that, those people are best to back away from.
mostly it's completely individual with many factors on if a person can even attempt to see different.

agentgeez

agentgeez

Student
Jun 30, 2020
I don't believe so. I'm not one to really think about 'possibility' in that sense at all, though; essentially, if someone has the ability to change, they will, because that's how the sequence of events determined it. It's why I'm not satisfied with answers like 'yes, if they put in the effort or have the desire to'. Because that just narrows it down; now we're not talking about all bigoted people, but those with certain traits.

And what triggers this desire to change in the first place? We know the same event or piece of information won't change every bigot, otherwise we'd have a tried and true way of brainwashing by now. Despite identical personalities or behaviours on the surface, there's still so much we don't know about the inner workings of someone's mind which makes it impossible to make broad claims like this. I'd liken it to genes; someone might have the same trait, but one person might have two dominant alleles whereas one might have a dominant and a recessive, and we simply can't tell from the surface. Likewise, perhaps a bigot has potential to change if you expose him to a certain event, but another wouldn't, even though their beliefs and way of thinking are seemingly identical.

It's why instead of thinking that "they have the potential to change but just choose not to (I don't believe 'choices' can be seen so simply)' I think it's more accurate to say that the method of changing someone isn't universal, if we can even say that it exists for someone at all. This kind of thinking is behind why I think that ultimately, the idea that "only you can change yourself" is a lie. Of course, I'm not saying that it's other people's responsibility to change other people, but I think the idea that only you can change yourself exists because people believe that if there's an opportunity to change someone and you don't take it, it's your fault. I don't believe that. I think you absolutely can change someone in certain circumstances if you put enough time, effort, and love into changing them, and that in fact it's sometimes required. How many cases have you heard of someone receiving support, new relationships, or even advice that helped get their life back on track? A lot of people's motivation could be solved if they had someone who cared about them that pushed them into beneficial situations or took care of them in some capacity. It just doesn't mean you have to do it, especially if you're tired and have issues yourself. It's tiring to support someone, never mind take care of them. And it's certainly not a guaranteed method of 'fixing' someone either, just like leaving it to themselves isn't either.

Reactions: Skathon
Sinai Silence

Sinai Silence

I think I'ma die alone inside my room
Jul 6, 2020
Reactions: Trannydiary
Finis Autem Spero

Finis Autem Spero

Dec 30, 2019
I was, I did,

Moving away from racist family and friends really helped.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Brink, Silenos and 2 others
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
Yes. But the more someone's view is entrenched and reinforced, the less they are capable of listening and the harder it is to change. Sometimes it takes a profound experience to shift someone's viewpoint, where they are forced beyond their control to see a different perspective. So often it's experience that changes people rather than words.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Finis Autem Spero, Sinai Silence and 1 other person
ravergirl

ravergirl

Death becomes her
Jul 22, 2020
I think it's possible, but it requires a level of self evaluation and openness to criticism that is very rare in our culture.

Reactions: Trannydiary, Brink, Sinai Silence and 1 other person
Pupuce

Pupuce

Nobody exists on purpose. Come ctb
Apr 19, 2019
I used to be both homophobic and xenophobic because of my dad, but now I've changed. I hate people equally based on their apparent stupidity. It sounds like a joke, but honestly it's quite on point.

GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Jan 11, 2020
I hate people equally based on their apparent stupidity.

And who is that because of?

It's still hate based on not meeting a personal standard of human value. It's still a feeling of power based on believing someone is less and you are more, unless you're stupid too and hate yourself out of reverse stupidness bigotry. If you ever experience brain damage, you'll probably hug every "stupid" person you meet! :pfff:

Reactions: Brink and agentgeez