venin

venin

Text
Jul 28, 2023
Or do you think it's mostly an appearance?

I tend to say that it's mostly an appearance and even though they obviously have it way better than us, they have a lot of anxieties, insecurities and shortcomings.
Also, we have the tendancy as humans for nothing ever being enough. I think they excel at that.

I think this is a global problem: people being afraid to be seen as they are, with their weaknesses, shortcomings and anxieties.

Appearances tend to be very misleading & it's a real pity everyone hides the way they do these days. That makes it far worse for us and our situations. + the mental health stigma which is such a huge topic that I don't even wanna start.

Sorry for digressing 🌟

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: aticeret, AboutTom, Forever Sleep and 2 others
S

SaltySuh

Aug 12, 2023
I believe a lot of it is an appearance, but I honestly question whether there really is such a thing as a 'normie'. For example, the most successful of my siblings is ironically the one with the greatest problems (my sister). She struggles with anxiety, depression, and has had the same low-paying job since high school. However, she and her partner own a home and rental property. Nothing about her character would suggest this was likely, but privilege and luck are powerful forces. Culture where I live tends to place a lot of emphasis on supposed innate attributes (intelligence, talent, appearance, physical and mental health) of an individual, but generally ignore the impact that access to opportunity has on achievement. When discussion like this pops up, I tend to think of this old Soviet proverb: "If hard work led to wealth, then how come I haven't seen a rich donkey?"

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SexyIncél and venin
venin

venin

Text
Jul 28, 2023
I believe a lot of it is an appearance, but I honestly question whether there really is such a thing as a 'normie'. For example, the most successful of my siblings is ironically the one with the greatest problems (my sister). She struggles with anxiety, depression, and has had the same low-paying job since high school. However, she and her partner own a home and rental property. Nothing about her character would suggest this was likely, but privilege and luck are powerful forces.
They sure are

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Normies are nefarious.

Anyway, in what ways are we better than normies?

venin

venin

Text
Jul 28, 2023
Normies are nefarious.

Anyway, in what ways are we better than normies?
Morals, intelect, culture, empathy, selflessness, depth

*I'm not saying it's 100% either way. It's just what I can conclude from what I've seen

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Morals, intelect, culture, empathy, selflessness, depth

*I'm not saying it's 100% either way. It's just what I can conclude from what I've seen
We feel the urge to die because we have won our video game while everyone else is on level 1 fucking around too much.

S

SaltySuh

Aug 12, 2023
I think they mean that the people on here have realized the inevitable quicker than most. That life has no inherent meaning or worth; that you're just an organism living on a rock that floats through space.

AboutTom

AboutTom

Being born is not a gift but the result of a crime
Feb 9, 2023
I think how you said it was good but i'd like to add that "normie" is very vague. i tend to think someone who doesn't have mental illness but then again someone can have their one burn out, make an aesthetic post on social media about it and fully recover, it's actually really hard to define. And no offence to someone who has only ever had one burnout (tho I'm sure that nobody like that is even reading this) i just think that those people still count as normies. (i don't mean that the word shoudnt be used i just think it has a lot of meaning) Idk, its a hard question and i'd go in an induvidual basis. I'm trying to find a really gentle way to say this bc ik that in here there are a lot of people who have been wrongfully called attention seekers or whatever. I'm NOT taking about you guys when i say this. Your pain is real and valid and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I can't stretch this enough, I'm 100% sure nobody here is a normie or exaggerating their pain. But certain normies just don't know better. You can kinda tell someone is a normie when they don't really understand what high levels of pain feel like. I once had a guy look me dead in the eye and with this dramatic voice say "I'm sometimes so sad that i just sit and no nothing" And I'm sure that that sucks from him but from the way he said it it felt like he didn't understand that i, and almost everyone else does that. So sometimes when a normie says that they're "worse than ever before" it may just not be as bad as it sounds.

F

FindingHome

Student
Aug 4, 2023
I think it's mostly an appearance. People act like their lives are perfect and it seems so on social media. I think most people nowadays don't have it good.

Reactions: aticeret
B

brokeandbroken

Enlightened
Apr 18, 2023
Or do you think it's mostly an appearance?

I tend to say that it's mostly an appearance and even though they obviously have it way better than us, they have a lot of anxieties, insecurities and shortcomings.
Also, we have the tendancy as humans for nothing ever being enough. I think they excel at that.

I think this is a global problem: people being afraid to be seen as they are, with their weaknesses, shortcomings and anxieties.

Appearances tend to be very misleading & it's a real pity everyone hides the way they do these days. That makes it far worse for us and our situations. + the mental health stigma which is such a huge topic that I don't even wanna start.

Sorry for digressing 🌟
I think people with significant wealth (obviously) or a strong social network have it that good. It provides a safety net for when bad things happen. It doesn't matter who you are. If it doesn't exist no one will care. You could be murdered/shot in cold blood and if you don't have strong social network people would just look the other way.... Must be COVID :pfff:

• Yay!
Reactions: MrSpacebound
H

HappyForever?

Love from the deepest dream
Feb 14, 2021
I don't think they have it better, but they are certainly happier. Normies who appear happy most probably don't have debilitating physical or mental illnesses or defects, have company, and can get by financially. However, I'd say that most don't have it objecively good. They are probably wired differently to be better able to ignore or accept suffering and harsh reality, thus insulating them from suicidal thoughts caused by hopelessness. If I swap bodies with them I would likely still think about CTBing.

toofargone6969

toofargone6969

Wandering
Apr 29, 2023
They really do have it good. Some of them at least. My partner is a rare specimen that is pretty much in perfect health and has never had any mental issue of any kind and is physically extremely healthy and unbothered. I wish every day I was like him. But people like that are rare. Hes strong and nothing really throws him off. He can adapt to major changes like its nothing meanwhile I'm having a mental breakdown and still processing trauma from years ago.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I can't say I look at their lives and wish I was them- I reckon I'd still be miserable! I don't even know how content they are. Plenty of people moan about their lives. Maybe they're just better at appreciating the good times. They just seem better at making the best out of things.

I think the most successful normies I know work hard and play hard. They've achieved a good balance in life. Most of the happiest ones I know have families though. A good solid support group- I think the majority of people here are lacking that.

L

Lurkernomore64

Aug 21, 2023
I do wonder what you mean by normies?

Overall prevalence of overall unhappiness and depression , anxiety has skyrocketed in the past 50 years or so. Add to that factors such as impact of social media on health as well as access to adequate healthcare I'd say as a whole we're all more miserable.

Big difference I could see is desensitisation or how they maintain their little bubble of reality. What I mean by that is focusing on their day to day life and what is within their control rather than what the last trajedy or injustice is in the news.

I think that's why looking at our options on our quality of life and have the autonomy to chose what we do next shouldn't be such a taboo topic.