N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am not sure about it. The NYT doxxed the founders of this website. But they argumented it was a contribution to the common good. At least I think so. In my country this is the standard when reporting about someone who is not famous. It must be in the interest of the society to report about an individual. This is kind of the ethical standard. Though you could argue whether the media really abides by it.

I think on the twitter account of fixthe26 I saw a article with a title that implied it would be good to doxx every single member of this website. This would be the best/only way to stop this website. I am not sure how many journalists agree to that. I am sure there are also a lot of people who suffer a lot and are just dependent on this website. On this website there are a lot of vulnerable people. I think many would kill themselves when getting doxxed. (I think I would consider that too.) I ask myself what the answer would be for many journalists to this dilemma. I am ambivalent about it. Would they really doxx every single member or just the ones who they consider as evil. Probably different journalists would have different answers to that. I could well imagine they make a trade-off. It is not that bad if some people die due to our reporting when we can save other more innocent/ or in genral more people with our actions. I could imagine this was more or less the consideration of the NYT. But this is only my conclusion I might be wrong.

Do you think they will will also try to doxx average SS members?

• Wow
  • Aww..
Reactions: not-2-b-the-answer, walt, demuic and 3 others
Bone

Bone

Sad Sack
Jul 29, 2021
I think to actually dox people who are already suicidal would be beyond cruel. What a pointless, soulless, virtue-signalling witch hunt that would be. Sadly I could totally see it happen, given the right set of circumstances.

"HEY SEE HERE! THIS GUY WANTS TO KILL HIMSELF! EVERYONE PILE ON AND EXPOSE THIS EVIL PERSON! PLZ RETWEET, FOLLOW, AND SUBSCRIBE HERE ARE MY OTHER SOCIALS AND DON'T FORGET TO SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON"

• Aww..
  • Yay!
Reactions: user_name_here, Nolan96, cyanol and 8 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
If I'm not mistaken, they already have.

• Aww..
Reactions: demuic, Manaaja and Crazy4u
Bone

Bone

Sad Sack
Jul 29, 2021
Do you have evidence of this? I remember one user who repeatedly engaged with FT26 etc. on Twitter said they were doxxed, but haven't heard of it other than that one person.

Chronicillness

Chronicillness

Experienced
Jun 19, 2018
This website has become synonymous with children coming here to be meticulously instructed and coached by internet predators on how to successfully kill themselves 🙄. Volleys of bad press are still mid-air, just waiting to further traduce this site and its admins, moderators and userbase. The site's ill repute became the way it is now because of the dishonest wordsmithing by the renowned journalist hubs like the New York Times & PBS.

Because of this site's bad press, its become a target for virtue signalling, and doxxing is a virtue in the digital age, so this has always been a fear of mine; and rightfully so, because they want this website banished, so what's the harm in doxxing a few thousand users if it leads to a complete break down of the website's accessibility.

• Hugs
Reactions: Symbiote, pthnrdnojvsc, demuic and 1 other person
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Do you have evidence of this? I remember one user who repeatedly engaged with FT26 etc. on Twitter said they were doxxed, but haven't heard of it other than that one person.
I don't. Just going off of memory unfortunately and I try not to interact with them much myself. I just recall somebody having had the police called on them for being on this site.

Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and demuic
Bone

Bone

Sad Sack
Jul 29, 2021
I don't. Just going off of memory unfortunately and I try not to interact with them much myself. I just recall somebody having had the police called on them for being on this site.
Oh right, I do know a few users who mentioned that they were active on the site during hospital stays or to therapists and stuff and that definitely happens, getting the cops called. I certainly hope that doesn't evolve into people being doxxed though.

If people have families or established careers or whatever, imagine the damage it'd cause to be linked to what some people refer to as something of a "death cult" where people "encourage suicide"? Awful. Guess it depends on what the woke brigade's flavor of the week is.

• Hugs
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime, LastFlowers and Passersby
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Would Guarantee it and even bet money on it

Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
OK, F26 doesn't have any knowledge of advanced computer security, so I can assure you that she won't attack us directly on her own, unless she wants to use third parties.

And this is where my point comes from, doxing people is not an easy thing, as this would involve a lot of meticulous work and costs. Doxing all the users of the forum would imply excessive work and costs, which is unrealistic for something like this to be carried out if we take into account the null benefit that would be obtained after this. What will they do after performing a dox? is the question we can ask ourselves. The next thing is that they will be able to have access to your IP, but the IP that is obtained will never mark your exact address, if not the internet provider, this is because internet providers are obliged to guarantee certain security, depending on which one you use. , and will only give your exact address if required by an authority, such as the FBI or the police.

The second thing I will say is just speculation, but I can assure you that none of the founding members will return to the site, I suppose that the harassment they have received from the media was very overwhelming, although the future of the forum is quite uncertain, we hope that someone take control of everything before January 2023

• Informative
Reactions: Simba, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, LastFlowers and 4 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
OK, F26 doesn't have any knowledge of advanced computer security, so I can assure you that she won't attack us directly on her own, unless she wants to use third parties.

And this is where my point comes from, doxing people is not an easy thing, as this would involve a lot of meticulous work and costs. Doxing all the users of the forum would imply excessive work and costs, which is unrealistic for something like this to be carried out if we take into account the null benefit that would be obtained after this. What will they do after performing a dox? is the question we can ask ourselves. The next thing is that they will be able to have access to your IP, but the IP that is obtained will never mark your exact address, if not the internet provider, this is because internet providers are obliged to guarantee certain security, depending on which one you use. , and will only give your exact address if required by an authority, such as the FBI or the police.

The second thing I will say is just speculation, but I can assure you that none of the founding members will return to the site, I suppose that the harassment they have received from the media was very overwhelming, although the future of the forum is quite uncertain, we hope that someone take control of everything before January 2023
They do have Jeremy who has a background in computer programming and so would probably be able to find any weaknesses in security if say someone published an image that can be traced back to their IP address.

They don't really need him to do that though. Some of them could have taken to doxxing by disguising themselves as genuine members, PM'ing people, then once the person tells them any information they start leaking it. I'm not sure if this has already happened yet but it sounds like it could have.

• Wow
Reactions: LastFlowers
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
They do have Jeremy who has a background in computer programming and so would probably be able to find any weaknesses in security if say someone published an image that can be traced back to their IP address.

They don't really need him to do that though. Some of them could have taken to doxxing by disguising themselves as genuine members, PM'ing people, then once the person tells them any information they start leaking it. I'm not sure if this has already happened yet but it sounds like it could have.
There might be a case where a certain user convinces another user to go to some strange website and get his IP address, but again, this IP address will not exactly pinpoint his location.

• Informative
Reactions: Symbiote, LastFlowers and Dr Iron Arc
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
There might be a case where a certain user convinces another user to go to some strange website and get his IP address, but again, this IP address will not exactly pinpoint his location.
I meant their actual physical address or at least their phone number or email address. Heck, even a full name or picture of a face can be enough for anyone to find out enough to expose someone on the internet.

Reactions: demuic and LastFlowers
Passersby

Passersby

Trapped in space and time
Aug 29, 2019

What happens in Jan 2023?

Ringo

Ringo

Rabbits on the Moon
Dec 3, 2020
Doxing all the users of the forum would imply excessive work and costs, which is unrealistic for something like this to be carried out if we take into account the null benefit that would be obtained after this

Basically this, it took the words out of my mouth.

They can try, but unless there is a kind of massive attack or a third party, the initiative will end in nothing because they can't keep up, doxx requires a meticulous tracing of all the information available from each user and others means require digital knowledge, we must also take into account that a large percentage of this conglomerate remains in slacktivism, in other words, people who only "collaborate" with things that require minimal or no effort to feel good about themselves, I don't see why fear for some idiots who think they're saving the world by retweeting random screenshots from this site, at least in that regard, I'd be more concerned about any legal initiative the promoters might try to push,

The risk of private users being doxxed exists, but as I said, it is a laborious process, especially due to how cautious many users are about details which serve to locate them.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and demuic
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
I meant their actual physical address or at least their phone number or email address. Heck, even a full name or picture of a face can be enough for anyone to find out enough to expose someone on the internet.
Yes, they have tried to dox me on 2 occasions without any success, and since doxing has no effect on me since I am a nomad and literally have no real name or nationality, doxing does not have much effect on me, I wonder what it would have happened to me if it wasn't if
What happens in Jan 2023?
SS domain and hosting plan will expire
The risk of private users being doxxed exists, but as I said, it is a laborious process, especially due to how cautious many users are details wich serve to locate them.
Exactly, you could be doxed, but the question is what they will do with the data obtained, ask yourself that question every time you share any personal information, this will help you understand what is safe to say here and what is not safe to say here

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, WrongPlaceWrongTime, demuic and 2 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Yes, they have tried to dox me on 2 occasions without any success, and since doxing has no effect on me since I am a nomad and literally have no real name or nationality, doxing does not have much effect on me, I wonder what it would have happened to me if it wasn't if
I'm mostly just worried they'd find a way to get me committed and my SN taken away if they did have the information needed to dox me. It wouldn't be hard for them to do if they had the information since I live in California.

• Aww..
Reactions: WrongPlaceWrongTime and Manaaja
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
If people have families or established careers or whatever, imagine the damage it'd cause
Even if they didn't.
This would be a case of people beating on a dying horse and then video taping it while the world applauded.
They don't even realize that people like them are the reason people like us NEED to remain anonymous.
It's not about being a "faceless coward" a phrase they so often like to shout at us, it's because we are vulnerable and anonymity is the only shield some of us have.
Yea, it's not always some backend computer skills that are necessary, most everyone who is relevant to this conversation has access to the internet and reverse image search tools, after that you just need to have some people skills and fake your way into having another person's private info handed over or slowly trickled through as bits and pieces during back and forths.
Members should be as withholding as possible with their private information, even throw out a few white lies here and there to spike the punch with a touch of confusion (nothing crazy like the bullshit the infiltrators come up with).

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Crazy4u, omoidarui and 5 others
Crazy4u

Crazy4u

Enlightened
Sep 29, 2021
doxxing is immoral and illegal. It may also backfire and make their (suicide prevention efforts) look bad. I am pretty sure some of our members have mothers who are similar to the fixers. Those mothers would definitely react.

The only thing I worry about is forum access for international members and availability of N/SN. Some countries may ban the website

• Hugs
Reactions: Manaaja
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
That would be extremely unethical and would negatively impact a lot of people, so I hope it never happens, but if it did - we should create some kind of reasonable counter-action that would present our side, like a series of articles or interviews etc.

This is not journalism, it's censoring important conversations and attacking vulnerable people, they are in the wrong and unwilling to even consider big picture topics. There's no reason why we should constantly be wary of these Sharons and Kellies, who primarily harmed their kids themselves by bringing them into a dangerous world to suffer and die. (So yeah, gtfo with your alts and spend some time on retrospection and remorse.)

In order to break this taboo we must become more vocal about it irl, as much as individually possible. And with currently emerging Antinatalism and Voluntary Assisted Dying activism groups, talking about these topics is becoming increasingly more acceptable.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Crazy4u and Manaaja
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
Journalists don't care about other people. Advancing their career is what matters. If it would make their piece more appealing they would expose everyone.

• Aww..
Reactions: Nolan96, WrongPlaceWrongTime, Crazy4u and 2 others
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
In order to break this taboo we must become more vocal about it irl,
Unfortunately there's a reason most haven't done so already, not all of our circumstances allow for it and it can really put any current means of coping with our issues at risk, as well as opening the door for more conflict and hostility that a lot of suicidal people simply cannot afford.
But if you or anyone else find yourselves capable or able to withstand it, then by all means..
I've tested those waters with some closer to me and it only meant more hell to pay without them budging much on the issues, this is part of the reason why we don't have the type of opposing activism that some other groups possess, we're too damn tired, too vulnerable to even speak up.
Journalists don't care about other people. Advancing their career is what matters. If it would make their piece more appealing they would expose everyone.
True. After that NYT article and several others, I've been looking back on previous unrelated articles I've read with a more discerning and skeptical eye as to what's being claimed.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Cathy Ames, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, Crazy4u and 2 others
Manaaja

Manaaja

euROPE
Sep 10, 2018
Nah. Average journalists have the hacking and doxing skills of a baby cougar. They couldn't even find out what a bad dragon is. Just look at video game journalists who can't pass the tutorial or computer journalists who can't build a computer.

• Hugs
Reactions: Crazy4u
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
In order to break this taboo we must become more vocal about it irl, as much as individually possible. And with currently emerging Antinatalism and Voluntary Assisted Dying activism groups, talking about these topics is becoming increasingly more acceptable.
I agree with you, but this point requires a lot of work and time, it is difficult to express yourself freely when the media is quite monopolized which can be inconvenient, I decided to do my bit in terms of preventing the community from being silenced, for that reason it was because the one that founded MM and restored the Suicide Wiki, and I hope that other people here contribute to this type of initiative, so little by little our ideas can be accepted in society

Reactions: Cathy Ames, pthnrdnojvsc and Crazy4u
Chinaski

Chinaski

Arthur Scargill appreciator
Sep 1, 2018
I don't think they will because to do so would go against their clickbait narrative, which is of a couple of cult leaders brainwashing the vulnerable. To begin a campaign against the site's users would be to attack the people they profess to be virtuously protecting.

The only real exception to this would be if a user was outwardly encouraging or behaving in a way which they could present as consistently "death cult" in terms of content but in my experience these people are usually called out for it and ultimately booted (although one poster a few years ago had form for presenting as a weird suicide guru and when l returned to this site l was shocked to find he'd been given a Mods badge at some point, l doubt that'll happen again though).

Reactions: Cathy Ames, Symbiote, WrongPlaceWrongTime and 1 other person
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
@LastFlowers Yeah, that's why I said:
That would be extremely unethical and would negatively impact a lot of people, so I hope it never happens.
In order to break this taboo we must become more vocal about it irl, as much as individually possible.
If you look at activism events, a lot of people agree with AN and VAD messages, it's just that these topics were suppressed, so it will take some time to become mainstream. As they grow, more people will feel empowered to speak out, including those who do not actively seek suicide, but understand these topics.

Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Nah. Average journalists have the hacking and doxing skills of a baby cougar. They couldn't even find out what a bad dragon is. Just look at video game journalists who can't pass the tutorial or computer journalists who can't build a computer.
However, there are exceptions, like that boy who hacked one of Hugoc Chavez's bank accounts and emptied all the money that was there

• Wow
Reactions: Manaaja
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
@LastFlowers Yeah, that's why I said:

If you look at activism events, a lot of people agree with AN and VAD messages, it's just that these topics were suppressed, so it will take some time to become mainstream. As they grow, more people will feel empowered to speak out, including those who do not actively seek suicide, but understand these topics.
I was referring to the IRL part regardless.
For some it's not possible at all.
So maybe they can contribute more indirectly or in ways that don't require them to break their anonymity.

CrossroadsCurious

CrossroadsCurious

"Why do we do what we do?"
Dec 12, 2021
In re to OP post = yes because news journalists are evil soulless bastards!

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc
LastFlowers

LastFlowers

the haru that can read
Apr 27, 2019
In re to OP post = yes because news journalists are evil soulless bastards!
A lot of them are 'young and dumb' and only interested in confirming their own biases on specific issues while remaining hypocritical about other issues, some acquaintances or internet hellions I've known in the past who mentioned it was a career dream for them..um, the world would be better off if someone directed their pursuits elsewhere, let me tell you.

Then you've got the ones who've been around for awhile and they just don't care, they will use sensationalism, invasion of privacy, or any manner of rhetoric to raise their viewership, good and honest journalism is now a rare thing to come by.

Reactions: Passersby and demuic
OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Feminist
Jun 13, 2021
I was referring to the IRL part regardless.
For some it's not possible at all.
So maybe they can contribute more indirectly or in ways that don't require them to break their anonymity.
Sure, as much as possible and practicable, irl and in any other way.

It's wrong to be confined to one space with people constantly worrying about losing access to it or not having enough funds for N; peaceful death should be accessible and available as part of standard healthcare services.

• Hugs
Reactions: LastFlowers