N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I mean I wonder if they wanted to do it by any means why is it still online since years? I have several theories.

Maybe they kind of see the point that it is their own fault when the governments cannot provide proper health care, financial help, free education etc. Moreover suicide would be criminalized even more. I mean in many countries all peaceful methods are illegal. There is a societal consensus suicide itself should not be illegal. I think there might even be a silent majority at least in my country that a peaceful death should be a human right. I think in Germany this might even be the case though it is not equivalent to supporting this forum of course. I mean you can receive a severe punishment for importing N. Many people in my country sued for their access to it and the courts point their fingers at the politicians while these are undermining the highest court ruling. I think I am not the only one who is heavily annoyed by that. When the highest court ruling in favor of liberal assisted suicide laws was announced for the first time ever the judges received standing ovations. Lol. I mean it is like these elites are begging that places like this flourish with their policies.

The media is very paternalistic on the right to die. I have the feeling at least in my country there is a discrepancy between the opinion of the elites and the average Joe and Jane opinion. I ask myself whether all the politicians who agitate against the right to die really have this opinion privately. Some years ago a somewhat famous christian conservative politician committed suicide in my country. One could make the case he might still was against the idea the state should help people to die. Maybe I should not speculate even further. His party certainly agitates against new liberal laws.

Furthermore I could imagine that science has no clear answer on the influence of places like this one. As others have pointed out for me there seems to be a clear difference between what the media and science articles write on suicide forums. Some scientists are way more nuanced and careful to express a strong opinion on suicide forums.

Other theories: well most governments don't care in general how their citizens feel why should they care about suicide forums
Some parts of the elites are suicidal or somewhat empathetic and understand that places where you can vent with other suicidal people have the potential of being a valve
It is a greyarea and the elites understand they have no clue how the fuck this new "internet" works.
There are some lobby groups in favor of freedom and citizen rights

I don't know the the latter theories are not that good I admit. Do you have some better ideas?

Last edited: