Meena

Meena

Student
Jun 7, 2018
Hi. I have to leave my country and live abroad in europe. I am bipolar and have paranoïa. I am afraid i won't be able to live by my own and leave my mother to whom i am very attached. She is my only friend in this world.
I would like to have some feedback from people hwo have similar issues and have succeeded or failed in living as expat.
I am from Lebanon. Viva la revolution!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 14573, Kikoo Loool, goomsoom and 4 others
Hexen

Hexen

Student
Aug 12, 2019
I thought about it but I am afraid to try tbh.

Reactions: Final Escape
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I have different problems than you and I've lived as an ex-pat for almost my entire adult life. If you know how to manage your conditions at home, there's no reason you can't do it elsewhere.

Meena

Meena

Student
Jun 7, 2018
I thought about it but I am afraid to try tbh.
I feel the same. But i have to do it. I don't have a choice. Hopefully i will be strong enough. Maybe therapy could help.
I have different problems than you and I've lived as an ex-pat for almost my entire adult life. If you know how to manage your conditions at home, there's no reason you can't do it elsewhere.
The problem is that i have anxiety pbs. And because of paranoia i think sometimes that that people are making fun of me or despite me. Working is what worries me the most.
And being arab in europe won't help. But i think that i am courageous enough to try it.
Thank you for your reply.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Righttodie, Chantal and Soul
B

blahblah

Oct 26, 2019
I failed, went europe to north america. I had a partner too, but I still couldn't cope with it. I think you have to be honest about the fact that your problems will follow you there. If you can handle that, then it could be good. If not, things could get a lot worse out of your rut.

Reactions: Final Escape and Righttodie
Rachel74

Rachel74

Enlightened
Sep 7, 2019
Bipolar will follow you wherever you go.
Are you on meds to stabilise you?

Reactions: Final Escape and Righttodie
Sweet emotion

Sweet emotion

Enlightened
Sep 14, 2019
What is an expat? I'm learning so much new terminology here.

Throwawaysoul

Throwawaysoul

Wizard
May 14, 2018
I doubt any country would take a fucked up American without skills like myself . :(

BipolarExpat

BipolarExpat

Accomplished faker
May 30, 2019
What is an expat?

Short for "expatriate" or someone living abroad permanently or for extended periods of time.

Op, sure you can.
Anyone can and you'd be far from the first person to do so with psychological issues.

It can be extremely challenging however. Will be less so if language barriers aren't a big issue and/or you have some type of friendly support at your destination.

Don't expect it to be easy and I wish you the best of luck. Culture shock is real, can be excruciatingly isolating and reverse culture shock (when you return "home" after an extended absence) borders on shocking and can be miserable leaving one feeling rather homeless in a sense.

I've been at it since 95' Have seen many regions of the world....well....good times, bad times - ya know I've had my share.