GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Simple question - is there a TV show you enjoy watching for psychological comfort? If yes, what is this show and why it comforts you?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Forever Dead, TheSoulless, CameronFrye and 5 others
WoAiGou

WoAiGou

Stalinist
Dec 16, 2021
Zach stone is gonna be famous, funny, well written and doesn't take it self too serious. I've probably watched it through 10 times, but there's only 12 episodes and they're 30 min each

I really like Bo Burnham (the lead actor) he has a good grasp on how ridiculous life is.

• Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless, CameronFrye and Circles
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
Bojack Horseman, South Park, and Family Guy.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LONE WOLF., TheSoulless, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 6 others
Umbrella Weather

Umbrella Weather

Catastrophe Merchant
Mar 7, 2022
Monk... Yes, I think it must be Monk.

• Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, AtMostOkay, TheSoulless and 2 others
RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
Yeah. It's been Breaking Bad for a long time. I've watched it like 7 times already.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: gomenasai, Eternally Dottie, ColorlessTrees and 9 others
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
For me I can usually find comfort in almost anything I'm watching as long as it's something I chose to watch.

When I'm really down though, sometimes I fall back to certain episodes of South Park or Futurama. I've also found shows like The Good Place to be very comforting especially when faced with thoughts of death or the afterlife or even my own slipping morals…

When I was stressed out over university classes, I used to watch Community to make it all seem a lot more bearable. I still do put the show on sometimes.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, AtMostOkay, TheSoulless and 5 others
AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022
Always Sunny.

It's comforting just how ridiculous the gang is.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, Tortured_empath, AtMostOkay and 4 others
Samsal112

Samsal112

Student
Dec 20, 2021
Raising Hope used to be my comfort show. So light hearted and funny. Also, it is brighter (like the way it is shot) which I like when I need to be uplifted. I encourage anyone who has not watched this show to watch it. I really like Bob's Burgers. For some reason, the first two seasons of True Blood were comforting lol I feel like I have a ton of comfort shows but I can't think of them...

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: AtMostOkay, TheSoulless, CameronFrye and 2 others
WhiteRabbit

WhiteRabbit

I'm late, i'm late. For a very important date.
Feb 12, 2019
Schitt's Creek is something that I binged watched when I was in the hospital and it was cute and comforting. I don't tend to watch tv/movies multiple times though.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, AtMostOkay, TheSoulless and 4 others
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
Used it be Star Trek next generation, but I can't watch it anymore or anything that I used to watch and enjoy when my spouse was still alive.

i haven't been able to listen to a lot of the music or watch a lot of the media we used to like together, it just makes me depressed and miss him too much.

But lately I have been watching old episodes of law & order, and Perry Mason, because there's so many of them and they are all basically the same but they're all good too.
Always Sunny.

It's comforting just how ridiculous the gang is.
This was my late husbands favorite show, one of his proudest moments was when he ran into Glen Howerton on the street and got a picture with him and his wife (who played dennis' ex in the d.e.n.n.i.s. episode).

There's been at least two new seasons since he passed away but I can't bring myself to watch it without him... It's just not the same.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath, TheSoulless, CameronFrye and 5 others
NumbItAll

NumbItAll

expendable
May 20, 2018
90 Day Fiancé
Married at First Sight
I Love a Mama's Boy
Love is Blind
Breaking Amish / Return to Amish

Just pure, unadulterated garbage, because it's hilarious and makes me feel better.

• Hugs
Reactions: S like suicide, TheSoulless, CameronFrye and 1 other person
hungry_ghost

hungry_ghost

جهاد
Feb 21, 2022
Wentworth. One the last shows I've thoroughly enjoyed binge-watching.

Makes me invest in the characters and the story-line to the point of shouting at my screen when something shocking happens.

The actresses are amazing, too.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: mediocre, TheSoulless, CameronFrye and 2 others
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
Old Simpsons. Always calming when a classic episode opens in the morning with the crows and the tune setting things up. Kinda liked the crunchier audio and blurrier visuals of the 90s. Always brings a smile.

• Love
Reactions: TheSoulless, WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, CameronFrye and 1 other person
Red Scare

Red Scare

Wizard
Mar 1, 2022
Old Simpsons. Always calming when a classic episode opens in the morning with the crows and the tune setting things up. Kinda liked the crunchier audio and blurrier visuals of the 90s. Always brings a smile.
All work and no play makes Homer something, something.

• Yay!
Reactions: TheSoulless, CameronFrye, GrumpyFrog and 1 other person
PreussenBlueJay

PreussenBlueJay

Too short for Frederick William I’s Guards
Jan 18, 2022
  • Yay!
Reactions: TheSoulless, CameronFrye and GrumpyFrog
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Thanks for replies, everyone!
Bojack Horseman
It's a nice show. I guess I'm a minority that must've had their expectations set too high in spite of the unusual premise (cartoon about anthropomorphic animals trying to make it in Hollywood?), due to all the positive reviews I saw about this show before I started to watch, I ended up mildly disappointed. I absolutely loved the Time's Arrow episode though, it was executed absolutely beautifully. I stopped watching after that because I didn't want it to become the "jump the shark" moment for me. Maybe I am wrong and missed the best part though...
It's been Breaking Bad for a long time. I've watched it like 7 times already.
Same here, I rewatched it multiple times and it was my long time favourite. But as of now I don't feel like rewatching it again, it is a bit too violent for my current mental state... Nevertheless, a very compelling and masterfully executed story.
90 Day Fiancé
Married at First Sight
I Love a Mama's Boy
Love is Blind
Breaking Amish / Return to Amish

Just pure, unadulterated garbage, because it's hilarious and makes me feel better.
That's what reality TV was invented for :))
I wouldn't admit that to anyone I know in real life, but I rewatched early seasons of 16 and Pregnant and Teen mom several times. They came out right around the time I was 16 and I found it somewhat relatable (I didn't get pregnant, but my mother did). So yeah, can totally relate to the way trashy TV can make you feel better.
Gee, this is a perfect suggestion! The comfiest show ever!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: NumbItAll, Dr Iron Arc, TheSoulless and 4 others
littlelungs

littlelungs

Wizard
Oct 21, 2018
Off the top of my head, Star Trek, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, The Office, Schitt's Creek, How I Met Your Mother, The Mindy Project, That 70s Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm have done a great job at providing some comfort and/or laughs in the midst of this existential hell over the years. For more serious stuff, I also find an odd, eerie comfort in watching The Twilight Zone (original). The Teen Mom series has admittedly been a guilty pleasure of mine since it first went on the air as well. :ahhha:

I've been watching The Office lately, and Brooklyn 99 and Breaking Bad are up next on my watch list. I'm in constant agony so I'll take all the distractions and comfort shows I can get until I can finally get my peace.

Big hugs to you, @Nessie.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Circles, TheSoulless, CameronFrye and 1 other person
blueming

blueming

if we can stand outside the borders of time
Sep 21, 2018
I've watched The Good Place so many times now, it presents the afterlife in such a comforting way and the ending was just perfect in my opinion. I always rewatch it whenever I feel any anxiety about death.

I also find comfort in watching silly lighthearted cartoons from my childhood, like Phineas and Ferb, Spongebob, etc. Sometimes I just play it in the background while I do some work and the nostalgia takes me away from the real world for a little while.

• Love
Reactions: archipelago, Circles, GrumpyFrog and 3 others
AnestheticVoid

AnestheticVoid

❤️ Dissociatives ❤️
Feb 17, 2022
Off the top of my head, Star Trek, The Simpsons, Seinfeld, The Office, Schitt's Creek, How I Met Your Mother, The Mindy Project, That 70s Show and Curb Your Enthusiasm have done a great job at providing some comfort and/or laughs in the midst of this existential hell over the years. For more serious stuff, I also find an odd, eerie comfort in watching The Twilight Zone (original). The Teen Mom series has admittedly been a guilty pleasure of mine since it first went on the air as well. :ahhha:

I've been watching The Office lately, and Brooklyn 99 and Breaking Bad are up next on my watch list. I'm in constant agony so I'll take all the distractions and comfort shows I can get until I can finally get my peace.

Big hugs to you, @Nessie.
Curb. Wow. I lost my shit the first time I seen this.

• Yay!
Reactions: littlelungs, TheSoulless and CameronFrye
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
Am I the only adult here still watching Cartoon Network?

Reactions: ☆AwaitingEntropy☆, archipelago, ColorlessTrees and 3 others
CameronFrye

CameronFrye

There’s nothing there
Feb 20, 2022
Scrubs is mine. It got me thorough some tough times when I first watched it and it still always brings comfort. The characters feel like a family to me since they were there for me when no one else was. It's a silly, cheesy, comedy most of the time but then it will hit hard emotionally out of nowhere. Also it is full of life lessons, and I find it's commentary on death comforting. And it has a great soundtrack as well.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: ColorlessTrees, GrumpyFrog and TheSoulless
I

InezSerrano

Experienced
Dec 3, 2021
Monk... Yes, I think it must be Monk.
I watched some scenes from this show on YouTube and then one of the episodes (It was on a plane? I forget the name though). It seems like a lot of fun, if I have more time I may watch more.

If you mean like just silly stuff to distract yourself from life, I've watch 31 Minutos recently, here are some episodes if you haven't seen it.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: archipelago, CameronFrye, GrumpyFrog and 2 others
Kristicide

Kristicide

I am a prisoner locked up behind xanax bars
Dec 16, 2021
Literally right now I'm as happy as I could ever be because F1 pre-season testing is on for the next 3 days. Then the seasons first race is a week later. F1 is the only thing I get so hyped about to watch.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: ImsooDone1N, CameronFrye, GrumpyFrog and 1 other person
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I never understood the concept of a comfort show until I watched Community.

Reactions: ☆AwaitingEntropy☆, CameronFrye, GrumpyFrog and 1 other person
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
I have a few comfort movies, not so much a comfort tv show.

Reactions: Foresight, CameronFrye and Dr Iron Arc
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Am I the only adult here still watching Cartoon Network?
I've heard they basically fill nearly their entire airtime with one cartoon series lately and it's not even good or charming. Is that not true?
F1 is the only thing I get so hyped about to watch.
I can relate, not lately but when I was a kid I was super into F1. Couldn't wait for the first race of the season, so exciting!
I have a few comfort movies, not so much a comfort tv show.
What are your comfort movies then?
Movies are also cool, but I feel like TV shows are better for the comfy effect because of the serialized format - they can be watched over a prolonger period of time and become that one good comfy tradition you keep returning to. Plus TV shows are usually made with intention to create settings and characters the viewer will get attached to, to get them to return for a new season every time, so there's also the added comfiness factor.

Reactions: Kristicide and CameronFrye
S like suicide

S like suicide

Enlightened
Apr 29, 2021
Married at First Sight
I used to watch it too,for a few months now i'm watching another program called First Date,it's just to pass the time when i feel really desperate.They helped me in not think too much

Reactions: GrumpyFrog
N

Nigh

Experienced
Oct 12, 2020
Reality tv, definitely.
Rick and Morty
Abbott Elementary
Both just light-hearted, funny tv.

Reactions: CameronFrye and GrumpyFrog
ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
What are your comfort movies then?
Movies are also cool, but I feel like TV shows are better for the comfy effect because of the serialized format - they can be watched over a prolonger period of time and become that one good comfy tradition you keep returning to. Plus TV shows are usually made with intention to create settings and characters the viewer will get attached to, to get them to return for a new season every time, so there's also the added comfiness factor.
My favourite movies are North By Northwest, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Ghostbusters, The Bodyguard, The Fugitive, Groundhog Day, Executive Decision and The Mummy.

Reactions: CameronFrye
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
My favourite movies are North By Northwest, Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Ghostbusters, The Bodyguard, The Fugitive, Groundhog Day, Executive Decision and The Mummy.
Wow, I love your taste! Arbitrary "they don't make movies like this anymore, things were only good when I was a kid and now everything sucks!" goes here :))