• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

CrazyDiamond04

CrazyDiamond04

Metal Fan- Wants to hang Under The Oak
May 8, 2023
I always find that a few hours dancing makes me feel better, even if it's physically tiring. In my early 60s I used to travel once a week to a distant city so I could dance with one of the top dance schools in the country I live in. Four and a half hours travlling to get there, four and a half hours of dancing, basically without a break, and then four and a half hours of travel to get home. I loved it. At 70 I no longer have the stamina for that, but I still dance weekly for an hour and a half in my local town.

Physical exercise is good for your mind as well as your body.
Dancing is also a great form of exercise! It's also a nice way to connect with others too. Definitely a more fun way to exercise compared to other methods; has never been my personal thing though.

astonishedturnip

astonishedturnip

Like Christine Chubbuck, but sadder
Jan 16, 2024
I love taking long walks around the neighborhood and lifting small weights at home. Doesn't give me a big rush but it's nice to get fresh air, hear ambient noises, get some sun on my face and maybe see a dog walking. In the summer I love swimming in the pool, that's more tiring but I feel exhausted in a good way once it's over... Then a nice nap back in the house, under a fan (:

I don't go to a gym because I don't really have any fitness goals beyond what I'm doing now but I might consider it in the future since I'm not 17 anymore and have to work a little harder to stay trim. But when I went in the past, everyone was very friendly and helpful. However, these days with lots of people obsessing over filming themselves working out or just "being at the gym" for cred without doing anything, I would try to find somewhere that isn't so crowded.

BlendedHeart

BlendedHeart

It is what it is
Mar 9, 2024
Have you seen that meme that says "Lift rock, make bad voice go away"? It kinda works... most of the times.

I go to the gym 5 times a week, and those two hours are the only ones during the day where I don't think anything negative. Maybe it's because I'm too concentrated on avoiding injuries, since I'm kinda clumsy and I dread physical pain. Started going because of a therapist's recommendation, and now I'm in better shape... physically. Mentally it doesn't help that much in the long run.

I've went there for a year and a half. I'm not buff or anything but the difference is notable. I'm always been skinny, but since I spend all day sitting I was getting a big belly. Now it's less noticeable. And there have been some progress. I can lift heavier weights and such, and I guess that feels nice.

Only thing is, I haven't made any acquaintances there. I say hello to the trainers, ask some users if we can share a machine, and that's it. My eternal shyness and anxiety keeps me from making new friends. But, once again, I think about that outside of the gym. There, my only worry is to do the routines right.

Last edited:
CuriosityAndCat

CuriosityAndCat

Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
Nov 2, 2023
Yes. Initial issue with most people who go to gym is what to do. Start off by picking one of the celebrity workouts or something like 5x5 workout.

Forest Fire

Forest Fire

Student
Jul 19, 2019
usually lift weights 3/5 times a week but i've not been able to since November because of an injury.
It doesn't make my life good but things get a lot worse for me when i can't exercise

lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
i was a part-time dancer for a decade doing odd jobs here and there as a go go. it felt amazing after several hours of near nonstop intense working out. some of the only self esteem i ever had was when i had people paying/staring at me for my stage work. id push myself harder and harder to get in the exercise while working. im retired from that, now i mostly do small sessions of muscle group workouts and take a long walk in the evenings. if i dont do SOMEthing all day/evening, i can feel the energy/anxiety buildup in my system and i need to fucking bolt

luri

luri

Mar 28, 2024
i've found it quite helpful, but it does sometimes make me feel bad when i don't go to the gym or exercise as i planned days before - in ways it helps but i guess it also has it's downsides when i feel like i've let myself down. i do think it's worth trying, especially if you have one locally! there are so many tips online i've used to get over the fear of being there, and i do enjoy being at the gym to escape the world and my own thoughts for a while :')

Untimely

Untimely

Student
Apr 21, 2023
i've found it quite helpful, but it does sometimes make me feel bad when i don't go to the gym or exercise as i planned days before - in ways it helps but i guess it also has it's downsides when i feel like i've let myself down. i do think it's worth trying, especially if you have one locally! there are so many tips online i've used to get over the fear of being there, and i do enjoy being at the gym to escape the world and my own thoughts for a while :')
Yeah I agree with that lol, it definitely makes me feel like shit if I miss a day I was supposed to go

Unicr0n

Unicr0n

Stuck in a black hole...
Mar 26, 2024
OMG running is one of the best feelings in the world. Yeah it hurts and I'm sickle cell trait so half my blood can't carry oxygen efficiently and asthma so it's hard to breathe, but that rush that you get post run is so invigorating it wipes away any negative thoughts and makes it feel good to be alive.

I do weight training only because if I somehow end up living to old age, osteoporosis is hell on you. I hate weight training.

Little_Suzy

Little_Suzy

Amphibious
May 1, 2023
The old me enjoyed working out and going to the gym. My favorite thing to do was hike the trails behind my house while listening to music. Sooo, good!

Suzy-Anhedonia drinks four Adderalls and a Coke for breakfast and feels amazing! šŸ„³

arnxxx

arnxxx

Student
Mar 8, 2024
I do group exercise once a week in the evening (i feel better in the evening). I just do whatever the workout teacher tells us to do so I don't have to think.
If you want to workout but be alone Ill advice HASfit on youtube. I been doing their home exercises for years

K

Kit1

Enlightened
Oct 24, 2023
I used to cycle, dance, aerobics, treadmill.., It did help physical and mantel health. Stopped exercising and I am extremely obese and I don't have the energy or the motivation to exercise despite knowing it will be good for me

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
M

mangotahii

Dec 28, 2023
I've been doing light exercises for a while now (push-ups, walking, sit-ups). There's a gym at my university but I've always been too anxious to go there; though I've been seriously considering sucking it up and doing it anyways. I think exercise is a great avenue out of depression; it's been proven that being physically active releases endorphins and "feel-good" chemicals into the brain to fight depression.
i dont really exercise... other than doing quadrobics every once in a while, anything else i avoid

sadstuffie

sadstuffie

Student
Aug 11, 2020
before my disability got worse, i used to use the elliptical for about 2 hours everyday & would dance everyday as well. recently, this has become a lot more dangerous for me. but i am trying to get back into dancing slowly & im excited to see the results especially in mood !

• Hugs
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
OMG running is one of the best feelings in the world. Yeah it hurts and I'm sickle cell trait so half my blood can't carry oxygen efficiently and asthma so it's hard to breathe, but that rush that you get post run is so invigorating it wipes away any negative thoughts and makes it feel good to be alive.

I do weight training only because if I somehow end up living to old age, osteoporosis is hell on you. I hate weight training.
It's the runner's high

P

Pallf

I'm tired
May 27, 2018
I'm trying to get back to the gym. I jacked up my back and it still isn't 100%. I miss how I felt after a great workout, and all workouts are great workouts.