D

Deleted member 847

If we were so smart wars wouldn't exist and the whole world would be one country with no corruption and resources for everyone.

K

KCN

El revisionismo en castillano
Jul 16, 2018
If we were so smart wars wouldn't exist and the whole world would be one country with no corruption and resources for everyone.

8af.jpg

anarcoprimitivism master race

Reactions: Tiburcio
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Yet my ass, human beings will become extinct before that. We can't even get together to create a proper society with no toxicity after thousands of years and you think our little meaty brains can figure out the universe.
I honestly have more faith that we'll figure out the universe than having a decent and nice-to-live-in society... I think it's absolutely amazing that we can measure gravitational waves now and the fact that we manage to create and measure the higgs particle purely based on a guess. I think the fact we've been able to explain the stuff we have already is pretty nuts.

It's hard to measure something that interacts very little with "normal" matter or energy because we detect things via their interactions and emissions. That's why it's so hard to detect neutrinos even though they're abundant as fuck. We can't measure those things you mentioned because we don't know where to look or how to see them.

Thing is intelligence isn't really anything to do with opinions and wars and society and stuff, I think society will always be shit for some people because we're all individuals at the end of the day. but when it comes to science and the universe generally we can look at the evidence and agree on things easily, and even if we can't there are still tons of scientists all over the world working together on the same "problems".

Reactions: Tiburcio and KCN
C

CRM

Idiot
Jul 13, 2018
I don't believe in anything. I was raised Christian. Now every traditional religion seems laughable to me. It's obvious to anyone who looks at it that it exhibits human traits and not something a higher being would come up with.

As for these arguments that constantly arise on these forums about the NDEs and other wacky stuff, has anyone from either side ever been convinced? It seems almost pointless to argue anymore.

Reactions: GoneSeptember2018, ThisIsTheEnd, Oyashiro-sama and 3 others
throwaway123

throwaway123

Hell0
Aug 5, 2018
I'm an atheist, always have been. It made my life even worse because I live in a very religious country, we have mandatory religion lessons in schools, weddings and funerals are handled by priests, shit like that.

I was the only kid in my class who didn't go to church and always openly talked about not believing in God. And because I was the weird, quiet kid and a big Metallica fan at the time, I often got laughed at and called a satanist, lol.
IMO religion stands for ignorance, indoctrination and hypocrisy. I'm glad more and more people in my country are becoming atheists.

You're so right. I agree with you 100%
Religion is a well oiled machinery for control of the masses.

Reactions: Deleted_9cKnXB34QG, Tiburcio and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
D

Deleted member 847

I honestly have more faith that we'll figure out the universe than having a decent and nice-to-live-in society... I think it's absolutely amazing that we can measure gravitational waves now and the fact that we manage to create and measure the higgs particle purely based on a guess. I think the fact we've been able to explain the stuff we have already is pretty nuts.

It's hard to measure something that interacts very little with "normal" matter or energy because we detect things via their interactions and emissions. That's why it's so hard to detect neutrinos even though they're abundant as fuck. We can't measure those things you mentioned because we don't know where to look or how to see them.

Thing is intelligence isn't really anything to do with opinions and wars and society and stuff, I think society will always be shit for some people because we're all individuals at the end of the day. but when it comes to science and the universe generally we can look at the evidence and agree on things easily, and even if we can't there are still tons of scientists all over the world working together on the same "problems".

Nonsense we can use our IQs to create a societal system that works better than the current ones. If we can discover ways to send people to the moon we can discover ways to create a better and honest societal system. We don't do it because nobody cares and everyone is selfish. There is a science for everything. There are ways to make anything better.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Nonsense we can use our IQs to create a societal system that works better than the current ones. If we can discover ways to send people to the moon we can discover ways to create a better and honest societal system. We don't do it because nobody cares and everyone is selfish. There is a science for everything. There are ways to make anything better.
Idk about that I honestly think it's just hard to get individuals to agree on things and it will always be that way.

see:

if we can't agree on how to move a ladder how can we ever have hope in our society? Science is just easier because there's a lot more hard evidence making it harder to disagree on things.

T

Tiburcio

I will die without that discoverings so I simply give a fuck about the universe.

We are shit compared with all that exist so why being worried about it? Just accept the garbage we all are.

Reactions: RageQuit66, ThisIsTheEnd and weedoge
D

Deleted member 847

I will die without that discoverings so I simply give a fuck about the universe.

We are shit compared with all that exist so why being worried about it? Just accept the garbage we all are.
We are the universe. Everything was one in the beginning.

Reactions: TheSternal
ThisIsTheEnd

ThisIsTheEnd

Waste of oxygen
Aug 22, 2018
I'm an atheist, but I don't care what others believe in, just so long as they don't hurt others or be obnoxious idiots.

Reactions: Midnight, Oyashiro-sama, lv-gras and 2 others
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I'm an atheist, but I don't care what others believe in, just so long as they don't hurt others or be obnoxious idiots.
Yeah can't say I have a problem with religious people, it's been noted that faith can have very positive effects for some people but it's more the organised religious organisations that seem the issue.

Reactions: Oyashiro-sama, lv-gras, Tiburcio and 1 other person
C

creatureoflight

Mage
Jul 27, 2018
Yes, im im muslim.
I hate the concept of religion, but if its true then youre screwed after death. Im too afraid to take the risk of disbelieving.

Isn't this even harder for you as a Muslim because in Islam suicide is pretty much a one way ticket to hell?
I'm not Muslim and personally I would be terrified of this option.

Reactions: Deutsch and Tiburcio
D

Deleted member 847

Pascal's Wager is the most debunked argument in history of philosophy

Reactions: ReleaseMe and Tiburcio
T

toolateforme

Student
Jul 2, 2018
I probably wouldn't be on this site if I had a religion.
I wish I was delusional enough to believe in God lol

Me too.

Reactions: Deutsch, okyeah, Tiburcio and 1 other person
O

Oyashiro-sama

Student
Aug 16, 2018
Yeah can't say I have a problem with religious people, it's been noted that faith can have very positive effects for some people but it's more the organised religious organisations that seem the issue.

+10000

Reactions: Tiburcio and weedoge
O

Oyashiro-sama

Student
Aug 16, 2018
I don't believe in anything. I was raised Christian. Now every traditional religion seems laughable to me. It's obvious to anyone who looks at it that it exhibits human traits and not something a higher being would come up with.

As for these arguments that constantly arise on these forums about the NDEs and other wacky stuff, has anyone from either side ever been convinced? It seems almost pointless to argue anymore.

Well, I just wanted to discuss and know how many believers there were in the forum, I do not have a real problem with individual beliefs, the dangerous thing is organized religion.

Reactions: weedoge
L

Life sucks

Visionary
Apr 18, 2018
I don't believe in any and no its not a materialistic thing. Logic and mathematics are not materials. You don't need to see everything to prove it. You can prove things about infinity without reaching it. But this is all about logic and mathematics.

Religions? No. A made up set of practices and ideas that are contradictory and clearly by evidence meant to control. Just to add that this has nothing to say about the existence of God. One can be theist without believing in a religion.
The rest about religion would be historical research, you can find some truth without the religious additives or propaganda that utilizes causes for their agenda.

Reactions: ThisIsTheEnd, Midnight and Tiburcio
Plankter

Plankter

欠陥人
Aug 14, 2018
Isn't this even harder for you as a Muslim because in Islam suicide is pretty much a one way ticket to hell?
Yes it terrifies me too. Its not an absolute ticket to hell but your odds arent any good with heaven if you take someones life including yourself

Reactions: Tiburcio and lv-gras
Oblivion

Oblivion

Wizard
Aug 2, 2018
Yes, im im muslim.
I hate the concept of religion, but if its true then youre screwed after death. Im too afraid to take the risk of disbelieving.
Where are you from?
and if there was really an Allah, i would go up there and give him a big FUCK YOU, i will not bow to such a sadistic piece of shit.

Reactions: creatureoflight, Radaghast94, Tiburcio and 1 other person
Oblivion

Oblivion

Wizard
Aug 2, 2018
I'm an agnostic

Reactions: GoneSeptember2018, Deutsch, Oyashiro-sama and 1 other person
CabbageCaptain

CabbageCaptain

Aug 29, 2018
I have no commitment to any particular religion, however the wishful side of me wants to believe that there's some form of afterlife. I'm sure I'm wrong, but if I'm being honest it's more to motivate me and quell the fear of the unknown that's the main barrier to my exit.

Reactions: throwaway123, Deutsch, lv-gras and 2 others
Meena

Meena

Student
Jun 7, 2018

Even for christians

Reactions: Tiburcio and lv-gras
M

Madrid27

Student
Jul 24, 2018
No

Reactions: Cold, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Tiburcio and 2 others
G

GoneSeptember2018

Student
Aug 28, 2018
Up until a month ago, I was an agnostic my whole life. But I'm pretty sure I'm now an atheist. I don't think there is a God nor an afterlife.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tiburcio
FullFat

FullFat

^best order at Micky-D's ever
Apr 27, 2018
No, but I wish that I did. I was raised by young earth creationists. When I deconverted about 6 years ago in undergrad, I wasn't ready and still aren't, really. Eternal paradise is a concept I have trouble letting go. The infinite nothingness that awaits every living thing depresses me. Odd feeling to have, I know, since I'm suicidal, but I can't kick it.

Deconverting has helped me dump immoral beliefs and let me accept science, but I can't really say that I have received any personal benefit. Even with being able to accept my lesbian tendencies, I'd still say it's been a net loss.

Reactions: lv-gras
G

GoneSeptember2018

Student
Aug 28, 2018
I was agnostic my whole life up until about a month ago. I am now essentially an atheist. I have no problems with others believing though and don't try to disprove their experience. I think once you fully accept the notion of there being no afterlife and no God, it's a big step closer to ending your life.

Reactions: Tiburcio, AntiLifeEric, FullFat and 1 other person
B

Bandzbandz

Student
Aug 23, 2018
I'm Muslim and have no doubt in its truth.

Reactions: lv-gras