NemoZeno

NemoZeno

Quae Est Absurdum
Nov 6, 2018
"I wonder if the more you plan a suicide the less likely you might actually do it. Or maybe it's makes it easier when the impulse of suicide returns?"
There's definitely merit that it does help alleviate suicidal thoughts although the most professionals would steer clear of that as it's not a positive coping mechanism in their opinion AFAIK.
In my uninformed opinion, I'm guessing professionals prefer misdirection (positive affirmations, CBT to a certain extent, distractions) instead of precariously "embracing" the problematic thought since the latter is riskier (both in terms of liability for them and for the possibility that quasi-accepting the thoughts may lead to pro-death acceptance).

I don't have anything against suicide notes if others choose to do it but recently I have had an "ideological" distaste for them.

In my view, even if their are dear loved ones left behind who more or less deserve some closure that it offers, it's...ideologically the antithesis of virtually everything I believe/subjectively (therefore inanely and paradoxically) value:
I DESPISE ([my] conscious) existence.
Willing myself to exert the effort and thought of writing a note (thereby taking solace in the act) is to "give credence" to living. It shows an annoyingly lingering attachment and sentiment to the lying trap that "is" existence.
Fuck that: I'm well aware it doesn't matter and that it's nonsensical but when I die I'm not "giving" anyone or "life" (god, spirit/the absolute, whatever) the "satisfaction" of showing the human instinct for preferring to live which is partially exemplified by last words.

Also, let's not kid ourselves: it's never "enough" for the living. Unless you went the Mitchel Heisman and wrote a 1874 pg "note" but it was direct instead of semi-academic. Even then, it seems likely his close friends and family didn't get that much more benefit getting a tomb of a note vs of a few pages which is roughly the norm. The same applies to all who endeavor to give final thoughts.

Getting things in order does certainly make it easier for me to prepare: doesn't matter what happens since all my things are in order and there's no "whataboutism".
No belongings to care about (finances, clothes, whatever possessions): I can just up and die. The loved ones, as "heartless" as it it, will have to fend for themselves.

The secret to leaving an empty apartment is to have lost everything through years of homelessness already. No room for sentimentality when everything is already lost...or so I tell myself. :aw:

I'm sorry to say I'm much more sheltered so, while we both arrived at the same place (no sentimentality left), I arrived at that via semi-Stoicism. Which is "easier" to come to if you come from a place of "balance" (privilege).

Your flair reminds me of a gif I saved:
middle-finger-rage-face.gif

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: 262653 and not_a_robot
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Have you suffered a while now then to be so definite ?
most of my adult life and didnt really plan /expect to live this long and recent events , financial ruin and finding my closest brother dead have given me the push i needed

• Hugs
Reactions: JWL, andy69, Ross and 2 others
dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
The secret to leaving an empty apartment is to have lost everything through years of homelessness already. No room for sentimentality when everything is already lost...or so I tell myself. :aw:

Wonder if that would make it easier to let go.

not_a_robot

not_a_robot

"i hope the leaving is joyful, & never to return"
May 30, 2019
Wonder if that would make it easier to let go.
I thought it would. I don't feel like myself today.
Absurdity has abandoned me and left me alone with his shitty friend, Despair.
I never did like this guy.

• Hugs
Reactions: dreamsofdestruction, Soul and marcusuk63

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
I wonder if the more you plan a suicide the less likely you might actually do it. Or maybe it's makes it easier when the impulse of suicide returns?

If I would choke myself by accident (slipped on my toes with a tourniquet around my neck), could you say that I bypassed survival instinct?
Instinct cannot kick in when the danger is not perceived. When you plan a suicide, you know what is going to kill you, or at least hope it will, and the danger is perceived anyway.

On the other hand, intuitively it makes sense to me that active suicidals are more likely to actually do it than those who are limited by wishes.
accident (v.) - any event that happens unexpectedly, without a deliberate plan or cause.

Some guy said that rational brain serves as a tool for emotional. Kinda like the mighty ruler and his advisor. Tiber Septim and Zurin Arktus. Frodo and Sam.
It definitely helps to device a plan and wait for further instructions from emotional side.

Last edited:
Reactions: not_a_robot
Oblivion Lover

Oblivion Lover

No life, no suffering
May 30, 2019
Well, I would like to do some of the things you mentioned as a means of closure of this pathetic existence, a way to come to terms with suicide, but I can't really do any of those. I don't have friends to call. I don't have meaningful possessions to give. I don't know how to write a suicide note. The only thing I can really do is stating that if anything happens with me I want to be cremated, but that would be extremely suspicious. I will leave this world with a lot of worde left unsaid and some unfinished businesses. I can only hope that I don't come back as a ghost.

• Hugs
Reactions: 262653, Soul, done_so_done and 3 others
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
Shockingly, it's possibly to prepare a will with your lawyer a few weeks after bringing up suicide and still have people not make the seemingly obvious connection. My beneficiary has seen the will. It seems that they must think suicidal thoughts are fleeting, since when they have a vague notion that they wish to die they always get over it by the next day. Normal people simply can't imagine that this is something one thinks about every moment for months on end.

It's very impressive how @marcusuk63 has cleaned up his place. My house will be a bit messy, but I don't think my beneficiary will mind given that she is getting a house (that's fully paid for) in addition to everything in said house plus an SUV (also fully paid for) plus some brokerage accounts. I hope she enjoys the cash & prizes though she's a decade older than me and has some health issues so I worry that she won't live that long either.
i`ve not really cleaned up as i`m clean , tidy and organised person , the loft boxes all over were what i had just taken out of the eaves , i have just , as Ann Maurice would say ,"decluttered and neutralised" , things like having 5 vacuums when 2 will do lol

D

done_so_done

Jun 27, 2019
Shockingly, it's possibly to prepare a will with your lawyer a few weeks after bringing up suicide and still have people not make the seemingly obvious connection. My beneficiary has seen the will. It seems that they must think suicidal thoughts are fleeting, since when they have a vague notion that they wish to die they always get over it by the next day. Normal people simply can't imagine that this is something one thinks about every moment for months on end.

It's very impressive how @marcusuk63 has cleaned up his place. My house will be a bit messy, but I don't think my beneficiary will mind given that she is getting a house (that's fully paid for) in addition to everything in said house plus an SUV (also fully paid for) plus some brokerage accounts. I hope she enjoys the cash & prizes though she's a decade older than me and has some health issues so I worry that she won't live that long either.
That's exactly my experience. They just think that you talk about suicide.... they say stop talking rubbish...and all is well lol!

Reactions: Invisible 73 and not_a_robot
Invisible 73

Invisible 73

Jun 22, 2019
I am wondering if people prepare for their suicide as described in suicide prevention literature? I read that warning signs of suicidal people are actions such as calling old friends to say goodbye, giving away important possessions, and making wills or plans for funerals. I wonder how common this is? About a third of suicides are accompanied with suicide notes. I've seen films in which suicidal characters engage in this behavior (Nicholas Cage filled a bunch of garbage bags with stuff in Leaving Las Vegas. Sissy Spacek wrote instructions for her mother in night Mother.) But these were probably for dramatic effect. I've been giving away stuff - clothes, old gifts and written notes. I wonder if the more you plan a suicide the less likely you might actually do it. Or maybe it's makes it easier when the impulse of suicide returns?

Any thoughts?
The friend of mine who took her life in April, put her affairs in order before she did it.

Reactions: marcusuk63 and done_so_done
Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019
I've had a will for a couple of years. I have some family members that are like vultures, and crawl out of the woodwork when someone dies. "Mee Maw and Pee Paw wanted me to have (insert whatever Chachkie they think they can sell)". My husband and I agreed to leave our house to our niece and nephew, since we have no children, and are not likely to have any in the future. It's just a basic will..all his shit is mine when he dies, and if I die before him, it goes to him. A couple of months ago, I had sent away for a brochure about funeral planning and burial expense benefits, and my husband found it getting the mail. Luckily he just laughed and assumed it was sent to me because I'm turning 45 this year, and I've already been getting AARP crap.
As far as ctb planning, I just have my "kit", vacuum sealed to hopefully stop most of the meds from deteriorating too much, some cash to help during my prep time, and that's it. It wouldn't be an urgent thing, since the house will go to our family, but I plan on donating everything else, then selling any valuables and using that cash to treat myself to a nice night in a hotel and a nice meal before I shuffle off this mortal coil. I'm still torn on whether or not I want to be found. Husband and I have cemetery plots, and I know it's not rational, I'd like to be buried next to him. Then again, I'd love to pass deep in a forest. Plus if I'm not found that's one less thing for me to burden people with.

If, though highly unlikely, I make it to my 70's+, I'll just take shit loads of my pain and blood pressure meds, maybe some insulin, and just let everyone assume I died because of piss poor judgment on my part. Just another senile old woman, that had no one to care for her.

• Hugs
Reactions: not_a_robot and marcusuk63
LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
Yes, I'm pretty much all prepared. I even made a list of last moment things to do before I CTB.

Reactions: marcusuk63
J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
Throwing personal and meaningful possessions out has been/is one of the hardest prep tasks for me.

There's always that annoying little voice at the back of my mind saying "But what if ctb doesn't work?" or "You need that." But I'm almost down to bedrock now with around 8-10 weeks to go.

• Hugs
Reactions: MiserableBastard1995, not_a_robot and marcusuk63
LifeIsNotFun

LifeIsNotFun

Mage
Jun 1, 2019
Thankfully I lived a very minimalist lifestyle, so there wasn't much to throw out. lol. And my OCD helped with the organizing too.

Reactions: not_a_robot and marcusuk63
marcusuk63

marcusuk63

CTB
Mar 24, 2019
:hug:
Throwing personal and meaningful possessions out has been/is one of the hardest prep tasks for me.

There's always that annoying little voice at the back of my mind saying "But what if ctb doesn't work?" or "You need that." But I'm almost down to bedrock now with around 8-10 weeks to go.
You are right as i fancied a boiled egg the other morning and i had thrown my egg cups out !! but seriously i know what you mean as i have always been a tidy hoarder and being old i had a lot of stuff , all the cards and drawings off my kids , old school stuff from the 70`s , all my old hard copy photos etc , all gone and in the odd moments i think what if ? etc

Last edited:
Reactions: not_a_robot, JWL and LifeIsNotFun
J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
:hug:

You are right as i fancied a boiled egg the other morning and i had thrown my egg cups out !!

I'm keeping me double boiled egg cups till last. Ctb or not, there are limits...

• Love
Reactions: not_a_robot, lululoo and marcusuk63
Pilum Muralis

Pilum Muralis

“We'll never be as young as we are tonight.”
Jul 2, 2019

Part of me wants to go scorched earth before I ctb, so I'm absolutely sure the first one sticks. I want it to linger in the back of my head, "I have no house, I have no money, I have nothing but what I'm wearing." I'm fairly certain I won't have a second go, since what I'm planning would kill a horse, and I'm not that fat.

• Hugs
Reactions: not_a_robot
seekingoblivion

seekingoblivion

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
I only own my phone, guitars and clothes. There's really not much to give. Don't really care about saying goodbye as it'll just cause suspicion and drama. And these days when I think about it I feel a bit of a cringe. Might leave a note. Won't be too detailed or descriptive as my brain is out of order.

J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
I only own my phone, guitars and clothes. There's really not much to give. Don't really care about saying goodbye as it'll just cause suspicion and drama. And these days when I think about it I feel a bit of a cringe. Might leave a note. Won't be too detailed or descriptive as my brain is out of order.

What guitars do you have?

seekingoblivion

seekingoblivion

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
An electric and a classical. Both Palmer brand. Pretty cheap low quality stuff. Both about 9 years old. You want I should send em to you before I die?

M

Meg

Jun 24, 2019
I'm trying to do this but honestly finding it difficult. I dont want to leave a mess for my family so I want to neatly tie up all the lose ends. But I have a hard time getting out of bed mostly these days and trying to do all this preparation is extremely overwhelming. I do think it's something we should do before we ctb. But it's just not easy.

dreamsofdestruction

dreamsofdestruction

Everywhere I look is chaos
May 9, 2019
I thought it would. I don't feel like myself today.
Absurdity has abandoned me and left me alone with his shitty friend, Despair.
I never did like this guy.

Same, pretending to be alive (and sometimes even feeling like it) for a while longer just sucks, especially when all that's on the horizon is the prospect of having to summon up all your courage to die in a completely pointless way.

M

Morphinekiss

Enlightened
Jun 8, 2019
Whenever this thread pops up I think of Lily Bart preparing everything than poisoning herself. /randomnerdmoment

V

Vegrau

Wizard
Nov 27, 2018
Depends. For me I have been planning it for 10 years. Waiting for some sort of miracle to give this pointless life a meaning. Dont want people to say I never gave life a chance either and also biding for my chance. But one thing though. I dont really want to give away my things. I dont like people. Why should I give them anything? If I could I want them to burn all my stuff after I die. Leaving no trace. No proof that I was ever existed. I dont even want to be remembered by humans.

Reactions: 262653 and marcusuk63
J

JWL

Arcanist
Jan 15, 2019
I see. What type(s) did you have?

For me personally I feel whatever I own will all get rid of itself.

A few over the years, but mainly Martin, Yamaha, Fender Strat and Tele, plus a few others I've forgotten. I was always a crap player, though...
Depends. For me I have been planning it for 10 years. Waiting for some sort of miracle to give this pointless life a meaning. Dont want people to say I never gave life a chance either and also biding for my chance. But one thing though. I dont really want to give away my things. I dont like people. Why should I give them anything? If I could I want them to burn all my stuff after I die. Leaving no trace. No proof that I was ever existed. I dont even want to be remembered by humans.

Plenty of charity shops around (usually).

seekingoblivion

seekingoblivion

Arcanist
Dec 11, 2018
A few over the years, but mainly Martin, Yamaha, Fender Strat and Tele, plus a few others I've forgotten. I was always a crap player, though...
All nice brands I can't afford. Shoulda sent me one to play before I die lol. I oscillate between decent and crappy player myself.