valentine

valentine

Student
Apr 2, 2019
The last time I called a hotline it ended up traumatizing me. I guess it depends who you're talking to. The woman I spoke to called the police and lied about it. The police did some illegal things but of course I had no power. I was handcuffed and put in a hospital where I was strip searched. I had to undress on camera. Then locked in a room for three hours; no therapists or doctors talked to me.

I know some people have had better experiences, but after that I'll never seek help from them again.

edit: I'll also say they could be potentially helpful as long as you don't tell them you're at immediate risk for suicide. That's where I messed up.

Last edited:
Reactions: Caycee
Ren Elsie Jewelria

Ren Elsie Jewelria

I sneezed!
Aug 30, 2020
They're useless. That's a bunch of chimp...students giving you replies from the handbook. No wonder it makes you sick.

MeriDeath

MeriDeath

Im on the edge of reality
May 10, 2020
ok. im inclined to believe just about anyone on here would agree suicide hotlines are a pile of hot garbage. the last thing i want when im at the end of my rope is to pour out my heart and trauma history to some stranger who responds with "it sounds like youre sad right now. have you tried breathing?" no fucking shit im sad, maria! they pay you for this???

i dont see how these are helpful to anyone; those of us who genuinely want to end our lives and are most at risk have already wised up that it doesnt help and might get the authorities called on us, and i have a hard time believing anyone who would get anything from it is genuinely planning to kill themselves or has done enough research to do that effectively. maybe im wrong, thats why im asking. do these serve any meaningful purpose at all, other than a bandaid so we can act like something is being done without addressing the reasons people reach that point to begin with?
Im kinda late to this but I want people to understand suicide hotlines are just another service every government must provide to show civilians they are making some effort when it comes to mental health care and suicide preventing. Most of these people are the complete opposite of any member here. They will probably assume your pet died or your nail broke or whatever. But other than that its just your first crisis ever and you will be "fine". Thats why their favorite method is to try and talk you out of it and vuala, everything is good. But to peoppe like us who are already half dead, shitty convos wont be much of a help, as well as talking to our mother or brother or father. I believe when somebody wants to die he will do this regardless of him getting help from these suicide hotlines. and thats it. Dont expect them to save your life or buy you a new car or fight for your life. In the end of the day they are the ones who will wake up tomorrow and be happy for the sun is shining. But we might not even wake up at all.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Lastsauce, OnlyTheWind and TheQ22
B

bigdog

Arcanist
Jul 12, 2020
They are complete garbage in my country maybe in UK or US they get more training and money
I mean it won't hurt you can call them just don't say that you are killing yourself right now maybe they can contact police who knows. My phone isn't registered on my name so I don't know how would they trace me. I think to many resources with no proof

Last edited:
T

TheQ22

Enlightened
Aug 17, 2020
They are complete garbage in my country maybe in UK or US they get more training and money
I mean it won't hurt you can call them just don't say that you are killing yourself right now maybe they can contact police who knows. My phone isn't registered on my name so I don't know how would they trace me. I think to many resources with no proof
In the UK the samaritans are the main one, it's a charity and they raise about £22 million a year through donations. It sounds a lot of money but it isn't really to offer a 24/7 phone line - they rely totally on thousands of volunteers to function, so it's not surprising they aren't the best service. I think the people offering to help are well intentioned, but clearly not going to be PhD psychiatrists, probably a bored housewife or shop worker or church goer.