• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Here in the US it's a state by state issue for suicides; I've read reports from NY where they are respected.

I'm taping a note to my body, along with leaving my medical directive alongside which adamantly and harshly (ie lawsuits will be filed if I am resuscitated against my will) states that I want NO resuscitation.

FredTheCripple

FredTheCripple

Mar 21, 2018
They aren't, doing so could make you end up in prison (theoretically)
So they leave those who refuse healthcare to rot in prison?

Here in the US it's a state by state issue for suicides; I've read reports from NY where they are respected.

I'm taping a note to my body, along with leaving my medical directive alongside which adamantly and harshly (ie lawsuits will be filed if I am resuscitated against my will) states that I want NO resuscitation.
It's worth a try assuming your attempt completely fails.

Reactions: dano6533
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
From what I understand in us DNR are only if you have a legal paper signed by YOUR dr. A simple note on your body will be ignored.
This may be accurate. I have heard conflicting reports.

Shame even with a note and medical directive your wishes are potentially ignored. I feel like my human rights are being violated in this regard.

D

Decker

Jun 12, 2018
This may be accurate. I have heard conflicting reports.

Shame even with a note and medical directive your wishes are potentially ignored. I feel like my human rights are being violated in this regard.

D

Decker

Jun 12, 2018
Yes . I'm in no way a expert on this. It is just my understanding from what I have read. You can have family members begging them to let you go and a note signed by you and it will be ignored . Unless it's a legal paper signed by a DR. I believe it has to be a dr who you are currently under their care even :(

Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Yes . I'm in no way a expert on this. It is just my understanding from what I have read. You can have family members begging them to let you go and a note signed by you and it will be ignored . Unless it's a legal paper signed by a DR. I believe it has to be a dr who you are currently under their care even :(

I've looked into the DNR forms and it was such an onerous undertaking I said fuck it.

But I have read of one case in NY where the man left a note to say DNR and they complied. It's a gray area. Makes me angry.

D

Decker

Jun 12, 2018
I've looked into the DNR forms and it was such an onerous undertaking I said fuck it.

But I have read of one case in NY where the man left a note to say DNR and they complied. It's a gray area. Makes me angry.

D

Decker

Jun 12, 2018
Well that is how it's should Be! But I wonder if the ny man was in really bad health? Or elderly? It would probably not work for a person under 80 in ok physical health? Mental health is ignored in society and looked down upon or not believed. It is such A gray area. :(

Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Well that is how it's should Be! But I wonder if the ny man was in really bad health? Or elderly? It would probably not work for a person under 80 in ok physical health? Mental health is ignored in society and looked down upon or not believed. It is such A gray area. :(
How what should be? Suicides are not respected, period, in this society.

It was a suicide attempt. They did not ignore the clear DNR. Gave me hope. Sorry that was a typo—corrected my original response. They did respect the note.

Not only do we suffer in life which brings us to this point but we have to suffer in death/during the dying process without aid and on top of that we have to wonder if our wishes to die will be respected.

Last edited:
D

Decker

Jun 12, 2018
How what should be? Suicides are not respected, period, in this society.

It was a suicide attempt. They ignored the clear DNR. Gave me hope.

Not only do we suffer in life which brings us to this point but we have to suffer in death/during the dying process without aid and on top of that we have to wonder if our wishes to die will be respected.

D

Decker

Jun 12, 2018
It should be tat when a person leaves a signed note it is respected. No one should need a lawyer and a Dr involved

Reactions: dano6533 and Smilla
FredTheCripple

FredTheCripple

Mar 21, 2018
From what I understand in us DNR are only if you have a legal paper signed by YOUR dr. A simple note on your body will be ignored.
There goes that safety net out the window. :(

sadak_the_wanderer

sadak_the_wanderer

An appropriate painting
Mar 19, 2018
I hate to be the bearer of bad news here but my overall feeling is that, if a DNR is coming into play, it's probably "too late." First responders will most likely intubate first and ask questions later. Now, if you were in the hospital already about to have heart surgery and you had a stack of legal papers all notarized, it would be fine, but your average "attempt" we are discussing does not take place in a hospital.

EternalSanction

EternalSanction

-
Jun 7, 2018
So they leave those who refuse healthcare to rot in prison?

It's worth a try assuming your attempt completely fails.
That was referring to the first responders (doesn't matter if they are trained emergency units or random passerbys) on the scene. They would end up in prison for not helping you (meaning doing everything they can).