2020wanderlust

2020wanderlust

Jun 10, 2020
If I obtain a DNR form, could it be used to stop people giving CPR or restarting the heart in the event that paramedics may find me before death? Ie if I had it next to my body along with my goodbye notes etc, would they honor it or would it be ignored ?

I wasn't sure if it only applies to the terminally ill or just for people that do not want to give paramedics permission to aid them esp in the case of suicidal attempts..

Reactions: Belaya Noch, Brick In The Wall, botanormal and 1 other person
grungeCat

grungeCat

Awkward & weird
Jul 5, 2020
I don't think they would respect your choice. It's not profitable for them. They are certainly scared of being accused of 'murder' (sounds like a joke, but it unfortunately can happen) and losing their job or even being sent to jail. So they probably would pretend they didn't see that. The law of most countries is pro-pain after all. Besides heath service is a product like everything else. Paramedics are sellers and you are forced to buy their product. It's not in the interests of them to let you abandon your suffering. They literally get paid for maintaining your life.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall, pthnrdnojvsc and botanormal
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I went through all the trouble of obtaining one for the exact same reason. Which was rather difficult for someone my age since I'm neither terminal or elderly. I've since heard from numerous first responders on the subject that DNRs are often ignored.

TowerUpright

TowerUpright

Disillusioned
May 26, 2019
Former first responder here in Southern US.

When I was a responder, DNRs were to be ignored if someone called 911. It was considered implied consent. DNRs really only worked if you were a patient in a hospital AND the doctor in charge of your care signed off on it. I saw first hand a doctor who refused to mark a patient as DNR upon admission, despite the patient have a signed, notarized copy of their DNR and living will. This doc said they were not in the business of letting their patients die. We had to tell the patient that she wasn't listed as a DNR. Hope she found a new doc.

One exception to that was hospice, though. But usually the hospice nurse would be the one in charge of care and no one would call 911 unless it was an emergency.

I'm not in the field anymore. Hopefully things have changed.

Reactions: Belaya Noch
S

Spitfire

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Historically, based on my own personal experiences DNR orders are also specific to certain lifesaving interventions, but they do not preclude treatments deemed necessary per the situation and MD.

• Hugs
Reactions: TowerUpright and Meditation guide