• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Chupacabra 44

Chupacabra 44

If boredom were a CTB method, I would be long gone
Sep 13, 2020
Where have you read that? I've found plenty of studies that say that Lithium is effective as an antidepressant augmentation strategy

Off the top of my head, the Star D study, which, atleast at the time, was the largest study ever on depression.

Ashu

Ashu

novelist, sanskritist, Canadian living in India
Nov 13, 2021
Peter Breggin:

<The typical psychiatrist is a technocrat who has no sense of the
human spirit, no sense that human issues are involved in the problems
people bring for treatment.>

• Informative
Reactions: little helpers
little helpers

little helpers

did I tie the tourniquet on my arm or on my neck?
Dec 14, 2021
there's just a million instances where I've sat there wondering to myself, "how did this shrink earned their motherfucking degree?"

and from taking my cat to the vet's, it seems like veterinarians got better understanding what compassion means. they work with animals that don't talk and put more thought into how not to screw up their "patients".

faith in humanity: destructed (for the umpteenth time).

but OP, despite DBS being quite promising a treatment for OCD, good neuro evidence and all of that, a DIY ECT really doesn't sound like a good idea. I don't know that much about ECT to offer harm reduction advice. but at least you should educate yourself on it and have people sit with you while you're administered shocks, in case anything goes wrong. it's like some trans girls feeling so desperate when denied gender-related healthcare they go perform a GRS on themselves with a cutter knife. really bad idea.

but keep us posted so maybe someone can proofread your ECT plan. stay safe.

Edit: also the exact medication you plan to use to induce seizures, OP. generally I can say it's unpredictable what it'll do. ECT is aiming for a focal. drugs can do a generalized seizure with hella lot of electrotoxicity that increases dementia risk and all of that. I've had seizures on ODs. ain't good for my brain or MH in any bit.

Last edited:
GentlyFading

GentlyFading

seasoned lurker (*ノωノ)ᵉᵉᵏ
Dec 28, 2021
EDIT: I DIDN'T SEE THE INITIAL POST DATE SORRY FOR REVIVING A YEAR OLD POST.

Honestly fuck psychiatrists. All they really know is their MD and that's how to treat diagnoses and not people. I've had waaaaay more luck with psychiatric NPs. My current one straight up thanked me for coming in to our first meeting after I shared with her that I was afraid of psychiatrists. She's been really receptive and respects my input about what medications I want to start next and doesn't push when I tell her no. The thing is...I've had 10+ prescribers throughout my life and most have them been utter shit like you described.

Good prescribers are out there but it also takes a lot of money, time, and risk. Switching providers is rolling the dice again and making yourself vulnerable to getting another awful prescriber. It's understandable that you don't want to see psychiatrists anymore.

I've been in a lot of psychiatric care programs (inpatient, residential, PHP/IOP, etc) and I think one of the things that helped me a lot was being in contact with other patients and learning from them. This is probably far more difficult with the ongoing pandemic, but advice, med sharing, and gossiping about which clinics and providers where good saved me a lot of grief over the years.

GentleJerk

GentleJerk

Carrot juice pimp.
Dec 14, 2021
Woops I read that as 'would rather be treated by a vegetarian'

Its a good point though, why are Vets always so kind and amazing, but so many doctors are completely arrogant and heartless?

I DIDN'T SEE THE INITIAL POST DATE SORRY FOR REVIVING A YEAR OLD POST
Ohhhh my bad it is old

Last edited:
Reactions: little helpers
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
No idea if I'll ever get the correct diagnosis or treatment. Feels like it's the same for a lot of people. Even people here, that might be getting medication or treatment, have the same condition as me and others. Is it really working? If they're/we're here on SaSu despite that. It makes me think there is a lot of sham going on. Someone should do something about it.

I'm going to push for correct diagnosis, treatment, medication. If I don't get any of it, there are other places I'll have to look, and Tor, and so on, I suppose. Self-medication, self-help/therapy may be the answer. I feel like I already did self-therapy just to get this far, I'm stronger than these feelings, but its not enough. I think the answer is medication. Or love. Probably both.

If nothing works, the answer is either death or suffering. And death brings suffering to others. I didn't ask for any of this.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
I'll start by stating the obvious, if you can switch clinics or your psychiatrist, do so. Just like with any medical specialty there are good and bad practices and good and bad physicians. I have experience with both, but can guarantee that are some great psychiatrists out there.

The fundamental problem with the field, in my opinion, is diagnostics sucks and the treatment options suck, for the most part, with extremely limited efficacy. There is no blood test or imaging for diagnostics. It's an art form, and this is why so many people are misdiagnosed by psychiatry. Regarding treatment options, it's, at best, akin to psychiatrists are only capable of bringing a knife to a gun fight. Outcomes are typically dismal. This is not the fault of psychiatrists, per se, but it underscores how little is known about the human mind.

Next, your discussing lithium and it's efficacy with depression. Lithium is more effective with mania vs depression. In fact, the largest study ever on depression, the Star D study, concluded that lithium was LESS effective than placebo in treating depression. This is a main reason why psychiatrists oftentimes prescribe Lamictal along with lithium, as Lamictal is shown to work better with depression, but not as well with mania.

Getting treatment from a vet is a bad idea, if in fact you are not being tounge in cheek.
I miss this user, he is so clever and eloquent.

L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Lithium is meant to be good for suicidal thoughts and there is microdose Lithium which is called Lithium Orotate. It made me feel happy for two glorious weeks.

• Hugs
Reactions: Suicidebydeath