• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Do/did you want to be a parent?

• Yes

• Maybe so

• Undecided

• Probably not

• No

• Im already a parent and I love it

• Im already a parent and it isn’t great

Results are only viewable after voting.
B

betternever2havbeen

Elementalist
Jun 19, 2022
I'm an antinatalist but even if I wasn't I think the good times are over and I wouldn't want to raise kids now with stuff like social media and all the problems in the world.

From a selfish perspective even if I did have kids I don't think it'd make me feel happy or secure. With things like divorce being so normalised people are seen as disposable these days. I grew up in a very secure home with parents married over 40 years before my dad passed and it's sad I won't ever have that again. I don't think if I created a family it'd ever compare, no one stays married anymore, and being responsible for someone else for 18 years is a scary thought. Maybe having kids is fulfilling but I don't see it giving me the security I'd want.

I find life inherently tragic though so I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
I already concluded that parenthood wasn't for me in middle school. The idea of being a parent isn't appealing to me at all. It requires a lot of patients and kindness which I don't have and children, as sweet as they are, can be frustrating to deal with.

sserafim

sserafim

the darker the night, the brighter the stars
Sep 13, 2023
I already concluded that parenthood wasn't for me in middle school. The idea of being a parent isn't appealing to me at all. It requires a lot of patients and kindness which I don't have and children, as sweet as they are, can be frustrating to deal with.
Same. It's also just too much responsibility for me. I want my life to be as free from responsibilities as possible

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
When I was younger, I did for a bit. It's more that I wanted a partner but I could imagine loving a child. I'm pretty relieved it never happened though. I think by maybe my mid to late 20's, I'd realised that I wouldn't give it much chance in this world. The thought of it being as unhappy as I have been would have broken my heart. I feel almost like I love my potential child too much to have brought it here. I'm glad it remained a twinkle in my eye.

T

TiredOfAllThis

Arcanist
Feb 5, 2024
Suspecting that I'm on the autistic spectrum, I'm not sure how it would be for my hypothetical kids.

Reactions: divinemistress36
Ceterum

Ceterum

Aug 10, 2022
Giving up on my desire is why I'm here I guess.

thats horrible I'm so sorry people have said things like that to you :(

maybe relinquishing this deep desire inside me would also enable me to cope somewhat with life but I'm just not ready to part with one of the few dreams I have.

Just noone in sight for me for family stuff. Money or job are nor the issue, so maybe I am just too weird fpr the world. But if anyone wants an ADHS person with recurring suicidal thoughts as a family partner, maybe :P

lnlybnny

lnlybnny

Experienced
Jan 25, 2024
sometimes i'm a little curious about how it feels to have someone pop out of you, and how that ''huge love'' most parents talk about feels like. but no, i don't want to be a parent at all, i'm sure i'm not suitable for this, i don't have any emotional strength to take care even of myself, also humans are so ungrateful, and it takes so much hard work to raise a child. i would never be so egocentric to the point of bringing someone into this world to suffer, like most people do mindlessly. so no i already have enough issues

LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
I can't have children. And even if I could, I wouldn't, because I wouldn't want to pass on my flawed genes (mental health issues, addictions...).
But I remember, when I was 13, I was super fond of kids, and I wanted to have plenty of them.

Reactions: Ironborn
I

Ironborn

Student
Jan 29, 2024
I would have loved to have had a son or daughter but how could I in good conscience bring someone into this world to be another slave to the corporate meat grinder.
In a different world... hopefully.
This one needs burning down first though.

Againstthewind

Againstthewind

Global Respondent Adjudicator
Jul 10, 2022
This is a very interesting topic to discuss @RueTheRavenPrincess !

Usually, the be all end all of our existence is to re-populate and to continue generations and the nuclear family onwards, as that was the product of success.

I don't believe this to be something that is as important to people anymore, due to the reduction in social services and financial positioning, and also men and women's general goals of life. People are making smarter decisions in their own lives, in if they can actually bring up children, then just do it for the sake of it because they feel they have to and put more stress on themselves, the child and the welfare system. The fertility rates and birth rate is declining due to these choices, I'm not saying that it is a bad thing by the way that's just how change happens.

I think it's perfectly mature, for those who may have particular mental health conditions, who admit honestly that due to their unstable emotions, it's probably not a good idea to put them in a situation to bring up children.

Of course to any individual, it is a lifelong task, as it is very very physically, emotionally, mentally draining, due to bringing up the small person right up to an adult.

But the one thing I wanna touch on is that sometimes people say they don't want to be a parent due to the mistakes and trauma that they faced from their parents, and of course you have a right to think like that. But I think sometimes you are not your parents, you are not your culture, you are not your bloodline, you are you. You're not going to make the same mistakes as your parents due to the experience of it, sometimes you can get so obsessed with that, that you may end up being like them, but that's because you're focused too much on not being like someone, rather than focusing on the child and you just naturally being the person that you are today. Regardless as a mother, as a father, you never gonna get it right, you'll learning to do this, just like the child is learning to be a human, you'll never be "perfect".

We are all damaged in our own way from our own families, but we are just broken birds that need a little bit of nurturing that need a little bit of time to figure out how to rebuild ourselves so we can finally cup that bird in our hands and let it fly away, so it can go and continue to live.
But we can't be broken birds forever. We can't base what we think we're going to be as parents based upon what our parents are like, you learn from their mistakes, you observe their mistakes, and make sure that you are a better parent than they were, and become a better version of yourself.
You don't need to prove being a better parent than them by showing them, it will be shown by how happy your child is and what the child thinks of you, and if they can say that you are there for that child when they are in emotional distress, and if the development of the child is successful from a mental point of you, and you don't rub off the shit that was put on you, onto your child.

Break the cycle.

Reactions: tary
sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
At the age of 10, I hated my peers so much that I already knew I never wanted kids. That opinion has not changed in 30 years.
I've hated my peers ever since I was in preschool. This has not changed in 20 years. I'm 23 now and still hate people, and I don't want kids either. I also don't understand why people *want* to take on responsibility or have responsibilities. I don't want any responsibilities at all

Last edited:
Reactions: ijustwishtodie
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
No, I never desired to be a parent. Being a parent is absolutely horrible. Also, I'm miserable because I got forced into existence against my will with no reliable and peaceful way out of here so why would I want to contribute to making a new life potentially feel the same way? Also, I just don't like kids in general... they're way too annoying to deal with but, regardless of that, I want to protect them from the cruelty of life and this is the only way how to do that

dajabe

dajabe

Apr 5, 2024
As a transmale who has done surgery I cant get any kids biological and due to the restrictions in germany and my mental health issues I couldnt adopt one if I tried.
Thats one of many reasons for my suicidal thoughts cause I'd like to be a father and raise a kind and smart kid. I think thats the only Thing I would succeed

sserafim

sserafim

Sep 13, 2023
No, I never desired to be a parent. Being a parent is absolutely horrible. Also, I'm miserable because I got forced into existence against my will with no reliable and peaceful way out of here so why would I want to contribute to making a new life potentially feel the same way? Also, I just don't like kids in general... they're way too annoying to deal with but, regardless of that, I want to protect them from the cruelty of life and this is the only way how to do that
Being a parent sounds absolutely horrible. I don't want to have to take care of anyone else. I don't like kids either. They're annoying af. Honestly, I just don't like people in general

Last edited:
Abyssal

Abyssal

Recovered and alive, less suicidal
Nov 26, 2023
I'd never give birth to a child, but if the situation arises where I must care for a child? I'd be an amazing mother. I'm not humble I admit, but I look at all these people I meet who were mistreated by their parents and all I can think is 'how could they?' A perfect parent doesn't exist, but bad ones are too large in number. I swear I would never be that type of person.

• Hugs
Reactions: boddibo
i'm almost gone

i'm almost gone

Apr 16, 2024
Context: in short, Motherhood, being a GOOD mother was all I ever wanted, then I really hurt someone and realized I couldn't trust myself, so I would be a bad mother. This is my #1 reason for being suicidal after never having been suicidal before in my life. Family is so important to mental wellbeing and happiness, but I feel as though I shouldn't even chase it because I'm too corrupted to succeed.

Are there any parents here who have their two cents to share? Those who want children like me? Even those of you who don't want children please share your thoughts! I think this is an important discussion to have, as family is a source of happiness for many. My two little sisters make me happier than anything else!

And just to throw it out there, everyone please be respectful! I know creating life is a touchy subject on here, just be nice, everyone's different.

Have you failed yourself and your goals with human connection, or do you worry about potentially failing?
I always wanted to be a father, I always wanted to do the opposite of what all bad parents do. and I'm fascinated by the idea of creating something so complex out of seemingly nothing.
But I'm a broken person so that's kind of impossible right now :]